Is there any better wooden shipwreck diving than the Great Lakes??? No of course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

polarbeardiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Michigan, Metamora, St Clair Shores, Gaylord and s
Hello divers, especially cold water divers...
Just saying hello, and making the point that the best wooden shipwrecks and the most abundant supply of wooden shipwrecks can be found in the Great Lakes.

I am a Dive Michigan supporter. Yes some of you think it is cold, but when you go outside in winter you dress for it, and so you can do the same in the Great Lakes. I personally lose my boots and gloves as early as I can, but I know that is me.

I have not been on scuba board before, but I have been mentioned a few times I think. I captain a ship in the Straits of Mackinac sometimes, and love to dive.
Thanks
Mark Kistner

........and the deeper you go, the better shape they're in!! :D

I read somewhere that there are over 5,000 shipwrecks in the Great Lakes and that only half of them have been found!!

Tobermory/Lake Huron = Valhalla for wooden wrecks.

Enough said!

-J.-

is there any other wooden shipwrecks besides the great lakes like on the atlantic. and if not i guess ill have to add the great lakes as another destination to dive.

The Bearing Sea has some awesome wooden shipwrecks low salinity and cold water make for a wooden shipwreck preservitive. Lake Champlain, Lake George, the Finger Lakes all in New York have some cool wooden wrecks but on a much smaller scale than the Great Lakes

polarbeardiver:
Hello divers, especially cold water divers...
Just saying hello, and making the point that the best wooden shipwrecks and the most abundant supply of wooden shipwrecks can be found in the Great Lakes.

I am a Dive Michigan supporter. Yes some of you think it is cold, but when you go outside in winter you dress for it, and so you can do the same in the Great Lakes. I personally lose my boots and gloves as early as I can, but I know that is me.

I have not been on scuba board before, but I have been mentioned a few times I think. I captain a ship in the Straits of Mackinac sometimes, and love to dive.
Thanks
Mark Kistner

Good to see you on the board Mark. Did you see our Wreck Diving Magazine Article finally made it to print in January? :D Erica and I had a great time diving with you in 2005. A group of us are coming back up this year as well. Can't wait to dive the Eber Ward again.

Take care,

Andy Morrison

Welcome to the board you cold water freak:D Here, you might need this:coffee: . Go Gators!

Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

I have been diving all over, mostly cold water places, but had never been in the Great Lakes diving (despite having spent earliest years in Wisconsin) until last Fall when I did a tour of the UP while on assignment and dived in Straits, Munising, and Copper Harbor. My first impression was, wow! what great diving. As I think back on it, my reaction has not diminished. And I will be back at some point, which is a compliment because I seldom go back to a dive place a second time.

Some folks have a hang up on "cold water diving" which is understandible, but they don't know what they are missing.

I am also researching the life of a great lakes steamer on which my grandfather served as engineer one season. The boat was in numerous collisions and was sunk and raised a couple of times before going to the salvage yard. Lots of history there.

You guys have a great diving destination as well as the UP being great for cultural tourism and sportman's paradise. Your boosertism for Michigan diving is very well placed.

I think the Great lakes are one of the best kept secrets in diving. If it was not for the cold water they would be even more popular.

Back
Top Bottom