Is there any interest in a Goodman style handle for the DRIS 1000 and 500 lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tapped upper block causes me some concern. If for some reason it seizes, its trash. If you stick with utilizing nylon lock nuts on top, there is always a saving solution....

I'm thinking that if the block is Delrin, there's very little (none really) risk of the bolt seizing in the block itself.

I could go back to nylon locknuts on top. It just makes adjustability a little harder. For instance if you tighten it down to fit a small light then you will have excess bolt sticking out of the top. If you want to fit a larger light you would have to use different length bolts.

I could use delrin, but I am afraid it won't provide enough friction to keep the light from rotating when you try to turn it on. Also tapping in delrin would be easier to strip.

Bolts are cheap enough that maybe it could come with a couple of sizes. The top bolts are 1/4-20 so they are pretty easy to find.

I could go back to nylon locknuts on top. It just makes adjustability a little harder.

...but eliminates a place for crud to get in and jam the threads. This is especially true if you are using a bigger light that causes the bolts to not go all the way through the block.... I see sand getting in there....

just food for thought. I really like where this is going and the thinking involved in the development. I am more than interested in the end product.

Just curious to see how the project is coming along. Have a night dive coming up to round out my AOW class and a trip to Florida soon after. There will be some night diving involved. Would love to be able to test drive this thing.

I know how that is. Put in about 62 hours this week ... Need to get underwater ASAP!

I'm going to be off the grid for the next week. If something develops, please keep me in mind..... I'll be back by the weekend.

I took a personal day Friday to get in 3 dives at the quarry. I got to use my DRIS 1000 for the first time then. It was daylight but worked pretty well.

Very jealous man! I like the DRIS 1000 from what I've seen so far. If I didn't already have two fairly new backups I'd be all over a pair of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom