Is this a normal feeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im new here and this is my first post but I can relate to your question. I have been extremely nervous about the ocean in general for as long as I can remember and even phobic at times. I got marries in Jamaica back in 2003 and went snorkeling only to jump back in the boat as soon as I saw my first fish and a giant Brain Coral below me. For whatever reason I freaked out and had a panic attack.

Fast forward to last year I tried snorkeling again in the Florida Keys and had a similar reaction but worked through it and was able to relax and spent an hour getting bee lined by barracuda and thought it was really cool!! I have a trip to Aruba planned for August and have decided that if I didnt get a dive or 2 while there it would be a wasted opportunity. So I started my road to certification and just completed my confined water a few days ago and already planning my Open Water and AOW when I have completed those. I guess the moral here is what your feeling is normal but also understand that you can control your reactions to stress and even use it as a motivator.

First time under water with respirator in 4 ft water I started hyperventilating... Then I looked at others and realized they were drowning so why would I? After that I just focused on breathing with eyes closed for about 15 seconds and now Im hooked! My Instructors didn't even realize how uncomfortable I was until I told them later that day. YOU CAN DO THE SAME Understand your nervousness is normal and that your in control of your reactions to it.
It might help to take your time on the surface to fully relax - take a few slow, deep breaths of your reg before you submerge (that serves two purposes - the slow breaths help you relax and the fact it is off your reg mentally reinforces the fact that your reg is working properly).

It is ok to be nervous (breathing underwater is not a natural thing for human beings) but the nervousness will ease over time. If worried/nervous, have a chat with your instructor/buddy and get them to take things a bit slower.

Accidents can happen to anyone, In a lot of cases the people that get into accidents or end up getting hurt in some new endeavor are typically those that have no concerns or fears and are not nervous at all, but fly into it face first. What ever the reason they have for acting this way, it is this lack of concern that can get them into trouble. I would way rather dive with someone who is a little apprehensive about it than the other type, who could care less and believe nothing bad can ever happen to them.
As far as getting over it, if it's to the point that it is stopping you from having fun then yeah, you need to do something. But again, I hope you never fully "get over it"...you will always stay a much safer diver if you have concerns.
I think the answer is to get certified and go on some dives that are easy and enjoyable. Not just for the time underwater either. That is good and the main reason we do this, but the whole time should be fun and enjoyable. Honestly, I have way more fun at the local quarry with the same folks from the dive shop that I know than on some exotic far away tropical paradise dive. We all know each other, we all joke and carry on, we have a big cookout and camp right there. It doesn't cost much and every one has a good time. We've all already seen and been to everything there is to see in this lake, but the fact that each time we all go there is a fantastic, fun time had by all makes it such that many of us would just as soon go there for a weekend as Bonaire. I would suggest you try to line up some of those kind of dives for your first few and just have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom