Is this a normal feeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've learnt a lot just from this thread alone, let alone the other threads on the board.

The main things I have taken away from this is that the nervousness is a natural thing as it is something completely new and what can be seen as out of the normal (breathing under water).

The OW course will give me the information needed to act responsibly and calmly should a problem arise. One of my main concerns before posting and reading replies was about DCS but I understand this a bit more now and I think can only be a good thing (Understanding this before even being certified)?

One question I have about the 'after certification' is how did you all find your dive buddy?

Matt

Hi Matt, I’m so glad the replies in this thread have helped to alleviate your fears enough to encourage you to go ahead with becoming certified. Once you’ve found a suitable instructor I’m sure you’ll feel more confident and take your first steps into a wonderful world that most people don’t get to experience. I must say that diving really has enriched mine and my wife’s lives.

We’re mainly holiday divers and my wife was my dive buddy until we had kids. Now we dive separately taking it in turns as one looks after the boys. When diving on holiday we find dive shops that get good reviews online (and recommendations here on SB), then visit them once there to get a feel of whether we’ll be happy to dive with them, ie how organised are they, what are the DM/guest ratios, condition of gear (before we had our own) etc. You then tend to get paired up with an insta-buddy. It could be argued that its not ideal, but it’s the way things work most of the time when diving without a regular buddy and I’ve never experienced a problem with this so far. When you’re starting out any decent DM will know your experience level and will keep an eye on you, will regularly ask how much air you have left and will start the ascent earlier than planned if necessary. You tend to stick in your group led by the DM. As you get more experienced (say 40+ dives), in my experience, they expect you to be more self-reliant - and so you should be - and will keep less of an eye on you. Dive shops want to keep you safe and will generally dive conservative profiles. Btw, you’ll get to hear the term ‘trust-me’ dives here on SB - don’t do anything you don’t feel comfortable with. And always tell the DM if you’re worried about something beforehand or have a problem during a dive. Don’t worry about aborting a dive or ending one early.
As for diving here in the UK the best way is to join a BSAC club, or go on trips with dive shops such as Cardiff Scuba. I’m sure you’ll get to know a great bunch of people and gain a dive buddy or two.
Cheers,
Rob

Ps, some great advice from @Neilwood there

Last edited:
I've learnt a lot just from this thread alone, let alone the other threads on the board.

The main things I have taken away from this is that the nervousness is a natural thing as it is something completely new and what can be seen as out of the normal (breathing under water).

The OW course will give me the information needed to act responsibly and calmly should a problem arise. One of my main concerns before posting and reading replies was about DCS but I understand this a bit more now and I think can only be a good thing (Understanding this before even being certified)?

It's important to remember that your OW course will give you the information to act and dive in the setting that you were trained. If you are trained in a warm, clear ocean, you'll have that knowledge base, but you will require more knowledge in the form of experience and advice before diving in colder waters, dark or limited visibility, or other conditions that are different.

This information is not hard to come by, indeed, it's often easier and cheaper than your OW courses. Colder waters require a heavier suit, so you learn to dive with a little more weight- using your skills from before to estimate weight and expanding on them. Diving at night you can get this from talking with a more experienced buddy, and letting them lead a dive, and then you lead one. Diving a drysuit may require a training class from your instructor again, who will be happy to see you back and expanding your dive skills.

DCS is always a concern. But, It's one of those that you safely mitigate, and the odds of it striking you are very, very low. It's always good to know more about it, but make sure to cover this with your instructor so your knowledge is correct.

One question I have about the 'after certification' is how did you all find your dive buddy?
Have you tried begging beside the road yet? :)

Finding a dive buddy is pretty easy; your shop, your club, Here, and the time honored and tested,

"Hi, I'm Matt. I'm looking to do this site, and want to pair up with someone, does anyone need a buddy?"

Most of my dive buddies in Kansas I met through the shops there. I'm going on a trip with one of them in a month, we've been friends and dive buddies for about 6 years. I met a good dive buddy while in Georgia with a "looking for buddies" thread, and just spoke to him yesterday. I keep in touch with some buddies in Florida that I met in one of the forums here. In Bonaire, I met a buddy that led to an....interesting...trip, by walking up and asking to join them.

Be prepared for a few gentle questions about your experience and self-assessment of your abilities, as well as finding out where you've dove before.

I found mine on a dating website, but that was a solid decade before we learned to dive together (we got married in between). Afraid that may not be a generally convenient technique though :)

A local dive club is probably a good place to look. Just from this forum I've already encountered some incredibly helpful and welcoming people local to me, who are eager to help newbies find their feet. Divers seem to be a friendly bunch.

Hi All, first post to the forum of hopefully many. After scouring the forums daily for a while I felt this the best place to ask the question that has been on my mind of late.

I have been concidering taking up diving for a fair few months now, and have read up on a lot of stuff.

I am a healthy male in my late 20s and have become somewhat obsessed with Scuba. I have been thinking about booking my OW course however whilst looking around about diving I have read many stories, problems that can arise and have found myself feeling extremely nervous about the whole thing.

I appreciate that when looking at things, there is still only an extremely small percentage of accidents that occur, I just want to know if it is normal to feel this way?

Thanks in advance
Life is a journey and sometimes you just have to go for it.

Learn to dive.

I've found buddies through the shop, but occasionally on scubaboard. For that I have posted where I plan to dive on the appropriate sub-forum. I have noticed that sometimes this works, others not. You can plan on doing the dive and find that the buddy has to cancel. Sometimes it's best to get a few irons in the fire ahead of time and if more than one buddy is good to go you do that.

I've learnt a lot just from this thread alone...(SNIP)

Matt
One of the big ones is your local dive shop... It's your class that you take from them. You've already dived with them getting your certification, so you already know what will happen when you dive with them in the water.

Another good place is your employer. I had a 17 year career with one company and there were a ton of divers that supported there habits of diving (lol) with their job there. Once again, you know these people, or at least on the surface. There were some there that I wouldn't dive with, but I also am someone who looks at character rather than how they are on the surface while at work.

Good to see that you are learning. As far as I can see, that is a lifestyle, not just something that you should turn off and then turn back on when you want to. I learned alot from places like this when I was persuing my certification. Many people when it comes to diving are passionate about the sport. Learn from them, but don't get wrapped up in their opinions about things. Check things out for yourself from many sources. You'll be a better person, and a better diver, in that case, for it.

Oh, and BTW, I'm just an Open Water Certified Diver.

Since you're located in Europe (the UK), I'd strongly recommend joining a local club. I'm a club diver, and when my immediate family doesn't want to go diving I can always find a willing buddy among my clubmates. And no class has taught me more about diving than what my experienced clubmates have. The mentoring culture in good BSAC and CMAS clubs is invaluable for new divers.

One of the big ones is your local dive shop... It's your class that you take from them. You've already dived with them getting your certification, so you already know what will happen when you dive with them in the water.

Another good place is your employer. I had a 17 year career with one company and there were a ton of divers that supported there habits of diving (lol) with their job there. Once again, you know these people, or at least on the surface. There were some there that I wouldn't dive with, but I also am someone who looks at character rather than how they are on the surface while at work.

Good to see that you are learning. As far as I can see, that is a lifestyle, not just something that you should turn off and then turn back on when you want to. I learned alot from places like this when I was persuing my certification. Many people when it comes to diving are passionate about the sport. Learn from them, but don't get wrapped up in their opinions about things. Check things out for yourself from many sources. You'll be a better person, and a better diver, in that case, for it.

Oh, and BTW, I'm just an Open Water Certified Diver.
The PADI OW manual I used when I was certified in 2005 recommends that if you have trouble finding a buddy look to your classmates. I found my first (and only) regular buddy that way (he was certified a week before or after me). I think about that sometimes. This would IMHO be kind of a last resort. Two brand new divers together could possibly spell trouble. Neither has Rescue certification and it is more likely that a new diver would be more prone to panic. My advice to students was always to seek an experienced buddy, preferably one who could rescue you. After I got Rescue I told my OW certified buddy about what to do if I should go unconscious, etc.
But sometimes a classmate may be your only choice. If you are a married couple, etc., that may be your most desirable and convenient choice. Then be very conservative for your first few dives. We did do that much anyway.

Last edited:
The PADI OW manual I used when I was certified in 2005 recommends that if you have trouble finding a buddy look to your classmates. I found my first (and only) regular buddy that way (he was certified a week before or after me). I think about that sometimes. This would IMHO be kind of a last resort. Two brand new divers together could possibly spell trouble. Neither has Rescue certification and it is more likely that a new diver would be more prone to panic. My advice to students was always to seek an experienced buddy, preferably one who could rescue you. After I got Rescue I told my OW certified buddy about what to do if I should go unconscious, etc.
But sometimes a classmate may be your only choice. If you are a married couple, etc., that may be your most desirable and convenient choice. Then be very conservative for your first few dives. We did do that much anyway.
Good advice from a Safety standpoint, if you don't go on trips that the LDS might offer and are diving locally. You could also buddy up with the instructor until more confidence is built over time.

Mine from 2012 said the same thing. I'm in a refresher course now, and I've found out that the manual got updated in 2015.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom