Is this a normal feeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GYou could also buddy up with the instructor until more confidence is built over time.
That's good advice, but remember, the instructor may want to go do some dives of their own, that are beyond the abilities of the new diver. They may also resent doing lessons without the pay.

When I dove with my instructor, I always insisted on paying for dinner. Least I could do.

That's good advice, but remember, the instructor may want to go do some dives of their own, that are beyond the abilities of the new diver. They may also resent doing lessons without the pay.

When I dove with my instructor, I always insisted on paying for dinner. Least I could do.

That is true as well... I just would assume that the OP wouldn't want to do the insta-buddy thing due to the gamble part of it, and they would also know the people that they are diving with...

It's also true that instructors and DMs don't get paid much, so helping them out sometimes is a good idea.

Good advice from a Safety standpoint, if you don't go on trips that the LDS might offer and are diving locally. You could also buddy up with the instructor until more confidence is built over time.

Mine from 2012 said the same thing. I'm in a refresher course now, and I've found out that the manual got updated in 2015.
Yeah I agree. Every time I take a dive charter, like in Florida, I could be buddied with anyone from an instructor to a newbie. The instabuddy thing. Unfortunately, no way around that. I was lucky that most of my early (and later) boat dives I was buddied with at least reasonably good divers.

It's important to remember that your OW course will give you the information to act and dive in the setting that you were trained. If you are trained in a warm, clear ocean, you'll have that knowledge base, but you will require more knowledge in the form of experience and advice before diving in colder waters, dark or limited visibility, or other conditions that are different

Yes, diving in the Red Sea, SE Asia, Maldives etc. with their warm, clear, blue waters is a different kettle of fish (pun intended) to diving in the UK with our, erm, not so warm, clear, blue waters!
I’m sure you’ll be made aware of all that during your course.

Last edited:
I've seen there is a local BSAC club where I live so I am going to reach out to them and hopefully that will be a good way to meet people.

One question I have about the 'after certification' is how did you all find your dive buddy?

Matt

I met my dive buddy in my open water course. We were the only two who didn't sign up with a partner. We've been diving together ever since.

It is very normal to be nervous. It is fun, however, to watch the progression of the students in training. They start out wondering what to do with this stuff. By the last day of training they look like a bunch of gladiators hauling the gear around like, "Yeah I got this."

Enjoy.

Oh yeah. I loved the idea of scuba diving for 20+ yrs before I finally got a chance to take a class. In the class and after wards I loved it & had no trouble, but I remember that throughout the first entire summer (diving at least 1x/wk) I had incredible butterflies in my stomach for hours before a dive. Breathing underwater is not normal & for many people it takes some getting used to. If you don't thinks it's fun to at all anxious, the good news is that in diving you will very soon get to a point where you never need to be. Once you have a little experience, feeling uneasy is a perfectly good reason not to do a dive - you only need to do what you find relaxing & enjoyable. And theses a whole lot of diving that is relaxing & enjoyable, many beautiful and a wonderful experiences, no pucker factor necessary :)

Im new here and this is my first post but I can relate to your question. I have been extremely nervous about the ocean in general for as long as I can remember and even phobic at times. I got marries in Jamaica back in 2003 and went snorkeling only to jump back in the boat as soon as I saw my first fish and a giant Brain Coral below me. For whatever reason I freaked out and had a panic attack.

Fast forward to last year I tried snorkeling again in the Florida Keys and had a similar reaction but worked through it and was able to relax and spent an hour getting bee lined by barracuda and thought it was really cool!! I have a trip to Aruba planned for August and have decided that if I didnt get a dive or 2 while there it would be a wasted opportunity. So I started my road to certification and just completed my confined water a few days ago and already planning my Open Water and AOW when I have completed those. I guess the moral here is what your feeling is normal but also understand that you can control your reactions to stress and even use it as a motivator.

First time under water with respirator in 4 ft water I started hyperventilating... Then I looked at others and realized they were drowning so why would I? After that I just focused on breathing with eyes closed for about 15 seconds and now Im hooked! My Instructors didn't even realize how uncomfortable I was until I told them later that day. YOU CAN DO THE SAME Understand your nervousness is normal and that your in control of your reactions to it.

Happy to go diving with you once you're certified - based up the road from you in Swansea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom