Is this used gear a bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with you - I'm giving up on this one (CL ad). I found a package for about $1000 that includes computer, bag, and a few accessories that I'm interested in. Or under $800 w/o the bag and computer. I'll try to sell off some of my extra 'stuff' and see if I can make it happen before my cert.

Pro Back Inflation Package

Is it a bad idea to show up to new diver certification with a BP/W?

I might be pretty buoyant, too... I'm 5'10 175lbs, but over the past year my weight hasn't changed (or gone down) and my pants size gone up :( Especially since my motorcycle accident, I haven't been able to go for a run in 6mos now. But I had no problem floating in the waves in Hawaii last week, which seemed like a 'good' thing at the time!

@Aloha Joe

No, it's not. I got a BP/W between my first and second pool sessions for my OW cert. My instructors dive them (when not teaching) so it wasn't an issue.

Oh, and if you can't run, hit the pool! I snorkel 1 mile in the pool twice a week. It's done wonders for me. Due to my knees, my doc has recommended swimming.

@Aloha Joe we train all of our students in bp/w from day one...

I wouldn't personally go with that setup. I would use the rental stuff in your class and wait until you can buy gear that will last you the rest of your diving career.

so. the question is. what are your long term diving goals so we can try to help you get the right gear up front so you aren't replacing anything in the near future

For $1000 you could get a new Aqualung Travel pak with everything new and in warrenty

I guess I'm a little excited :) Sorry for another "newbie confused about gear thread"!

Is that kit not great because of the regs, or is the bp/w and harness not great, either?

Long term goals? However close I can safely get to underwater freedom, including feeling unrestricted by gear as much as possible. I'm usually in the water for hours on end so I could see a twin tank certification in my future, but I don't know if that limits who I can dive with or what trips I can go on.

I want to be in/around nature, make friends and dive with them, and if I could find a way to do something to give back to nature I'd really like that (clean up dives, weeding invasive species, or whatever).

If my gear is big and bulky I won't want to deal with it. i don't mind techincally complicated equipment (I'm a hands-on engineer who loves fluid mechanics) but I don't want to deal with lots of "stuff". I'd love a reg that I could service myself!

Edit: I realized that a lot of what I said probably points toward a Hogarthian - but knowing my body and sensitivity to shoulder/hip straps, something more flexible or adjustable is most likely going to be a better bet. And knowing me, I'll end up lugging stuff on my back a lot while on land...

Last edited:
...before I put much thought into it I imagined diving alone, just being able to go wherever I wanted in the water.

I also think I'd really enjoy wreck dives.

@Aloha Joe
What I would do right now is take a bit of a step back.
Get your exposure protection first. When diving in cold water, it is most critical to have a proper fitting wetsuit. Everything else can be addressed later, but if you are renting gear, it should arguably be everything but exposure protection if you can help it.
If I were diving socal, this would be the suit I'd get. Granted, it is the suit that I have, but I have it for a reason. Not cheap by any means, but it is truly incredible and warmer than my previous 7mm fullsuit with hooded vest.
65 Diving Semi-Dry Wetsuit | OThree Custom Drysuits
I dive it with this hood and have been comfy down to about 50F in that combination. It's awesome.
Cave Adventurers - Pinnacle Dry Suit Hood - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

After that, I would support some local business and contact Deep Sea Supply. The owner is active on this board, they're made in Pasadena, and they are top quality. Not the cheapest, but definitely the best value in my opinion. You also have the ability to put weight plates on for single tank diving if you want to get rid of some lead from your belt. With as thick of a suit as you will have on, I would urge you to try the single piece webbing first, and if that doesn't work, then we can look at some other options with you, but give it a whirl, you may be surprised, especially with a thick suit on.

Probably at just shy of $900 for that stuff above, though you may get lucky with finding a DSS rig used depending on your height.
After that, if you plan on doing multiple dives/day, grab a cheap computer. You can usually find decent used ones on here/ebay for less than $200. Multi button is important in my opinion. If you are doing single dives/day, I'd just dive tables for now.

The regs become interesting. If you are serious about wanting to fix your own regs, this is a great deal.
$125, includes the parts kits to rebuild. The videos on how to rebuild them are all on the Vintage Double Hose youtube channel and @OWIC647 did a great job making them.
Store - Vintage Double Hose
You need to purchase an IP gauge-$20
Deluxe IP Gauge (PSI and BAR)
and some stuff from @herman. Regulator vice tool, MK5 piston o-ring tool, pin spanner, like $35
Store - Vintage Double Hose
some o-ring picks, lube *Dow 111 works if you don't want them O2 clean*, Simple Green
Three Piece Brass O-Ring Pick Set
Ultrasonic cleaner is nice to have $80 from Harbor Freight*, you should already have a pair of adjustable wrenches and some allen keys, and other than that the in-line adjustment tool from VDH is nice to have for $22 but isn't necessary. Just greatly expedites the tuning process.

Add in some proper length hoses *about $90*, some new mouthpieces, $10, and you're all in for about $400. Cool part though is you now have a bunch of tools that you need to keep rebuilding them, you have regulators that are stupid simple/cheap/easy to rebuild, you won't have to do it for another 3-5 years, they look cool, and that 109 will perform about as well as anything on the market today for recreational diving. Down the road, you may decide you want to dive doubles, sidemount, whatever, and these regs are perfectly sufficient for that, just need an extra first stage, some new hoses, and maybe a DIN conversion kit depending on where you're diving.

Thanks so much for all this information! I still feel like I don't want to buy a wetsuit until I see how I handle water temperature out here. I've seen suggestions for 7mm or warmer for Catalina, while others are comfortable in much less. I'd like to get the thinnest suit I can get away with comfortable, and am fairly tolerant of 'cold'.

I found some threads about BP/W and read a lot about (and by) DSS. I'll probably go that route, and can always modify or get a more anatomical harness and pads if I think I'll need it (which I'm almost positive I will, based on backpack experience and all the damage I've done to my poor body over the years). I found this 'flex harness conversion kit' which looks interesting, albeit expensive for what it is? I don't know why I wouldn't be able to rig one up myself...
HOG Deluxe Flex Harness Conversion Kit - Accessories - Products

I'd say I'm over trying to own some inexpensive setup to get started with. I'll start looking for gear I think I'd actually like to own and can get some feedback on that :)

I do want to service my own regs at some point, but I think it's important to start out with something that works out of the box. I don't want to be preoccupied with thinking about how well or how much better my reg could be working while I'm learning to live underwater.

@Aloha Joe that reg set is still a really good deal though. I know that @OWIC647 is having a rough go at rebuilding after Irma, but if you ask nicely and are a bit patient, he may be willing to rebuild them for you on the first go. If not you can ask @herman or @DA Aquamaster what they would charge to rebuild them for you on the first go

Back
Top Bottom