Is this used gear a bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wing is great. What is on the other side of it? AL plate? SS plate? Transpac?

I used that wing for years without issue with AL80 tanks. When I bought steel tanks, I found that is was not quite enough lift for them (couldn't float it at surface) so I got a bigger wing.

it's a transpac. You can tell from the interface with the wing. Transpacs are great, but wouldn't be my first choice for California diving due to the lead requirements.

I'm just starting out and also trying to move to Hawaii so I don't know what I need for a suit yet.

Then don't buy anything you don't absolutely have to. Rent, borrow, or steal as wide a variety of equipment as you can so you can make an informed decision about what is going to fit your style the best. Do that for your first twenty dives at least.

There is always used equipment on the market. It's not going anywhere. But buying before you know what you want will just ensure you buy stuff twice.

Well this thing is about as fishy as Hanauma Bay - incomplete answers to questions, and the photos that were sent were the same as in the ad, so I'll pass.

I inquired about the Knighthawk w/ wetsuits but it's been sold.

I just wanted to get into a back inflate or wing ASAP as I really like having less "stuff" on me, especially when I'm in the water.

But at agree, it's better to get the right gear at the right time.

Last edited:
Well this thing is about as fishy as Hanauma Bay - incomplete answers to questions, and the photos that were sent were the same as in the ad, so I'll pass.

I inquired about the Knighthawk w/ wetsuits but it's been sold.

I just wanted to get into a back inflate or wing ASAP as I really like having less "stuff" on me, especially when I'm in the water.

But at agree, it's better to get the right gear at the right time.

If you want to do that, and support local business to boot, contact @cool_hardware52 and get hooked up with that. Be just under $500 for one of his rigs, but they're absolutely amazing and then you can hunt around for regs

I finally got better pics of the gear - it's the Transpac BC w/ Travel EXT wing, a Sherwood Classic II regulator (uses Magnum rebuild kit, available for $16), Aqualung octo, and Oceanic SPG(?).

The reg system is $180 - factoring the cost of parts and maintenance, it doesn't seem to make sense - if I just any reg to use, I could get a new set from LP for $400.

So I'd only be interested in the BC, but my guess is I'd need to add a bunch of weight w/ 7mm wetsuit, and/or the travel wing might not have enough lift.

For some reason I seem bothered by renting jackets...I guess I just love the idea of being less confined/constricted. Once I started trying on back inflate BCs I got hooked (especially that stinkin' Scubapro Hydros :/ ) I can only imagine a BP/W would be that much better.

Last edited:
Totally skip the reg, he wants way to much for a kluge that you'll have to get serviced at two different dealers unless your Sherwood dealer also services AL - most don't. Anyone can service the spool on the gauges.

I'd look at a bp/w also - in SoCal you can property size the wing for all the lead you're going to need, if you;re like most people diving a 7mil farmer john that's probably 20-30 lbs. - I use 24 and sometimes fight to hold a stop.If you do move, add a smaller wing. Deep Sea Supply - Tobin - is in Pasadena. (cool_hardware mentioned above)

I really don't see anything in that ad worth pursuing in your existing situation and the prices are too high IMO.

Totally skip the reg, he wants way to much for a kluge that you'll have to get serviced at two different dealers unless your Sherwood dealer also services AL - most don't. Anyone can service the spool on the gauges.

I'd look at a bp/w also - in SoCal you can property size the wing for all the lead you're going to need, if you;re like most people diving a 7mil farmer john that's probably 20-30 lbs. - I use 24 and sometimes fight to hold a stop.If you do move, add a smaller wing. Deep Sea Supply - Tobin - is in Pasadena. (cool_hardware mentioned above)

I really don't see anything in that ad worth pursuing in your existing situation and the prices are too high IMO.

I wish I could dive 30 lbs in a 7mil farmer John lol. But I am boyant lol

For some reason I seem bothered by renting jackets...I guess I just love the idea of being less confined/constricted. Once I started trying on back inflate BCs I got hooked (especially that stinkin' Scubapro Hydros :/ ) I can only imagine a BP/W would be that much better.

Yes, that's the same reason I went to a BP/W myself.

Back
Top Bottom