Is this used gear a bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much for all this information! I still feel like I don't want to buy a wetsuit until I see how I handle water temperature out here. I've seen suggestions for 7mm or warmer for Catalina, while others are comfortable in much less. I'd like to get the thinnest suit I can get away with comfortable, and am fairly tolerant of 'cold'.

I found some threads about BP/W and read a lot about (and by) DSS. I'll probably go that route, and can always modify or get a more anatomical harness and pads if I think I'll need it (which I'm almost positive I will, based on backpack experience and all the damage I've done to my poor body over the years). I found this 'flex harness conversion kit' which looks interesting, albeit expensive for what it is? I don't know why I wouldn't be able to rig one up myself...
HOG Deluxe Flex Harness Conversion Kit - Accessories - Products

I'd say I'm over trying to own some inexpensive setup to get started with. I'll start looking for gear I think I'd actually like to own and can get some feedback on that :)

I do want to service my own regs at some point, but I think it's important to start out with something that works out of the box. I don't want to be preoccupied with thinking about how well or how much better my reg could be working while I'm learning to live underwater.
I would start in a 7mm wetsuit and work from there - it is a pretty good baseline from which to gauge how warm/cold you will be. You probably won't get incredibly hot or cold in it (to the point at which hypo or hyperthermia is an issue) but you will probably see which way your tendency is.

I would go for the BP&W without pads etc. Remember that you will only be using it for a very limited time above surface (shore entry or walking to the side of the boat) so the comfort of the harness on the surface is a (relatively) minor issue - the fit underwater is far more important. I bought mine 2 dives after my OW course (I wish I had had it during the course as it was so much more comfortable to dive in than the jacket).

Getting a cheapish set of new regs that you can service yourself in the future might be your best idea at the moment - you know they will work atm but you have the knowledge that, when it comes time to service them, that that is a possibility.

I'm with you - I'm giving up on this one (CL ad). I found a package for about $1000 that includes computer, bag, and a few accessories that I'm interested in. Or under $800 w/o the bag and computer. I'll try to sell off some of my extra 'stuff' and see if I can make it happen before my cert.

Pro Back Inflation Package

Is it a bad idea to show up to new diver certification with a BP/W?

I might be pretty buoyant, too... I'm 5'10 175lbs, but over the past year my weight hasn't changed (or gone down) and my pants size gone up :( Especially since my motorcycle accident, I haven't been able to go for a run in 6mos now. But I had no problem floating in the waves in Hawaii last week, which seemed like a 'good' thing at the time!

In direct contradiction to @tbone1004 that package is actually a really nice package for the price. It was not so many years ago tbone was all about HOG gear and how great it was. The total buoyancy package is a package you can customize. It is a BP/W and you will NOT out grow it, as it was suggested. The regs are basically HOG as they are made by the same factory and simply have "SeaElite" on them instead of HOG. HOG also has a reputation that no one on this board can smear with a straight face. The only piece of that package that I would personally change would be the octo as I am not a fan of the octo being different form the primary secondary. This is not to say the stuff tbone linked to is not good, it is just the difference in the package will not be noticeable for the premium you pay.

@Doby45 all I said was that I wouldn't personally recommend getting it.
The comment was more to do with you being required to pay for weight pockets, the flex harness, have to choose at least a 2 gauge console, and don't get the option of DIN.
I don't believe that HOG represents good value anymore based on the massive price hike after Chris left.

The regs are still fine, but there are now better regs for better value than HOG so they have been left behind.

@Doby45 all I said was that I wouldn't personally recommend getting it.
The comment was more to do with you being required to pay for weight pockets, the flex harness, have to choose at least a 2 gauge console, and don't get the option of DIN.
I don't believe that HOG represents good value anymore based on the massive price hike after Chris left.

The regs are still fine, but there are now better regs for better value than HOG so they have been left behind.

Weight pockets are included.
There is zero wrong with the flex harness.
Two gauge console, whats the issue with that? Diver would have an SPG anyway, this just also includes a mechanical depth gauge.
DIN - I give you that one. But, yoke is still widely used and serviceable.

Weight pockets are included.
There is zero wrong with the flex harness.
Two gauge console, whats the issue with that? Diver would have an SPG anyway, this just also includes a mechanical depth gauge.
DIN - I give you that one. But, yoke is still widely used and serviceable.

nothing wrong with the flex harness, but would have been nice if they had a lower base price with a one piece harness and then give the option to "upgrade"
nothing wrong with 2 gauge console either, but it is much more expensive than a bare spg, so if you plan on diving with a computer like most do, it adds unnecessary weight, bulk, and cost to the system
again, nothing wrong with yoke and for travel regs I have and use a yoke first stage, but would be nice if they gave the option for din

Thanks for the different opinions - the conversation is helping me to learn more about gear and get different perspectives.

I agree that the package seems like a decent deal, but I also appreciate that saving a few bucks isn't always worth the compromise. If I was looking specifically for a travel rig, or if it had either a metal backplate or a larger wing, I might have gone and looked at it. I say 'might' because of the shadiness of the ad and email responses and the attitude of the seller.

There's a reg package in the classified section that I'm interested in which as a full reg system and computer:
For Sale - ScubaPro Regs & Computers for sale

I also inquired about this one - if it cleans up nice I'll let a friend have it, or use it if the above ad doesn't work out: scuba pro G250 regulator and extras

I'll get one at some point - I have a bit to learn first, including what to use for an air source. I'll probably have to bring the regs to a shop for a once-over, and can maintain them thereafter. But we'll see...I'm excited to finally have a project that will fit on my kitchen table :) So maybe I'll get into it sooner than later.

But really it would be cool if I could get myself into a BC and get the regs ready before next weekend, so I'll probably focus on that rather than doing the repair myself.

Back
Top Bottom