isolator open or closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazyc once bubbled...
dennisgrimm and others on Scuba Board

I want to thank you for reaffirming the fact that the time, effort and money I have spent on my GUE training, continual practice and equipment configuration has not been a waste. To me it seems very unbelievable that anyone would dive and configure their gear in the various manners that have been listed in this thread.

Good luck and thanks for the "reality check"

CrazyC

You know what I saw? I saw an inexperienced diver struggling to logic-out some things on his own that he should have been learning from an instructor (not cyber-divers). So I gave him this feedback, as did some others in their own way, and provided him with names and a telephone number of some trustworthy people in his area and suggested that he connect up with an instructor who can help him take this step without killing himself. I obviously can't make him do it and he obviously doesn't intend to do it but I tried.

And what did you see? You saw a stroke and a golden opportunity to take a cheap pot-shot and point out how much better you are than he is.

So who do we need in this thread? The clueless newbie who realises that he doesn't know what he's doing and dares to ask for advice or the "expert" who knows it all but has nothing more interesting to say than "Naa Naa Naa Neh Naa Naaaaa"....?

I guarantee you, his problem is easier to solve than yours.

Sheesh.

R..

gilou28 once bubbled...

If none of the mentionned configuration (with/without isolator, half opened/completely opened, upside down) works for you, can you please describe the way you are configuring your doubles ???

Humm... I'm always opened to good suggestions....:boom:

He already told us by citing his training credentials. Manifolded twins, straight posts, centre isolator open, DIN, of course, and for the rest a variant of Holgartian with some strict requirements going right down to the material the knobs are made of.

It's an excellent configuration and perhaps the most cohesive set of best practices we have in scuba diving at the moment. Or was your question rhetorical?

R..

Thanks for getting him out in the open Diver0001...and they (GUE) wonder why we think of them what we do..........

I already said the same thing to Dennis in a PM.

You said it best...........some problems are harder to fix than others.

You should point out 90% of us, or more, do it the same way without the GUE training/attitude.

For the record - the people I've met who actually ARE GUE trained are some of the nicest, most open and non-arrogant folks I've had the pleasure to meet.

The ones I've met who CLAIM to be GUE trained - are not.

There is a difference. And it's unfortunate. But it's not GUE's fault - to paint all GUE divers with the same brush makes you just as guilty as those you're trying to condemn.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
For the record - the people I've met who actually ARE GUE trained are some of the nicest, most open and non-arrogant folks I've had the pleasure to meet.

The ones I've met who CLAIM to be GUE trained - are not.

There is a difference. And it's unfortunate. But it's not GUE's fault - to paint all GUE divers with the same brush makes you just as guilty as those you're trying to condemn.

I agree. I don't think the certifying agency can be held responsible for the big attitudes people get. I hope this thread doesn't get side-tracked into agency or philosophy bashing. There's too much of that in the world already.

I understand DeepScuba's frustration but I'd also submit that some of the bad attitude on both sides is back-lash. Personally I don't think badly of GUE or DIR and I think it's only wise to accept proven best practices wherever they come from.

In fact I'm quite surprised that nobody has mentinoed DIR yet. I was expecting it 60 posts ago.

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...

Or was your question rhetorical?

R..

Nope ;-)

Language difference guys... sorry....

I was under the impression that he had another setup...

My mistake ;-)

Thanks Deepscuba for your lights though your PM...

I personnaly dive doubles with isolated manifold opened...

Still I'm wondering if it could be interesting to have a flow restrictor in the manifold...(if that exists) .with a valve for fillings... another failure point maybe ;-)

As afr as the flow resitrictor goes, I was thinking more for a Reg than a manifold.

As a lot of guys here know, the huge air loss from a freeflow has got to be one of the worst cases.

The only downside I can see is the limitting of the flow to a point that somethings gotta blow, which might just be worse than the freeflow we were trying to contain.....

As to GUE, I'm not blaming the association either, but we all know that this one-off comment is typical of why GUE has the rep that it does.

Reputations and biases have a foundation of fact in there somewhere.

I'm suprised I haven't told you boys the latest "DIR Dude" report from MX when I was there 2 weeks ago. When I heard the comment, I just smiled a big smile and said nothing.
:rolleyes:

The instructor that told you to dive independent tanks or closed
manifold needs to be shot for crimes to humanity.

For Got sake you get to hear this thinks only in This board.

ALWAYS OPEN. I can think of hundret and one disaster senarios
diving with a closed one.

Manos.
www.dir.cy.net

I say

the people I've met who actually ARE GUE trained are some of the nicest, most open and non-arrogant folks I've had the pleasure to meet.

but then I see...

The instructor that told you to dive independent tanks or closed manifold needs to be shot for crimes against humanity.

Thanks a lot for ruining whatever point I was trying to make.

:upset:

Manos once bubbled...

ALWAYS OPEN. I can think of hundret and one disaster senarios
diving with a closed one.

instead of insults and shots, try explaining yourself more with some intelligent conversation. If you can think of 101 disaster scenarios, then start listing them so people may use them as an understanding of why... instead of just taking the word of a new and unknown member.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom