isolator open or closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre once bubbled...

instead of insults and shots, try explaining yourself more with some intelligent conversation. If you can think of 101 disaster scenarios, then start listing them so people may use them as an understanding of why... instead of just taking the word of a new and unknown member.

Maybe you you misunderstood...
Manos isn't trying to teach anything or convince any one. He just feels superior and likes to call people stupid.

I wonder if Manos is trying to say something.....

Seems likely not.....

A bit of advice Manos....

Crawl back into your hole and don't come out until you have
something intelligent to say.....

toodles once bubbled...
I wonder if Manos is trying to say something.....

Seems likely not.....

A bit of advice Manos....

Crawl back into your hole and don't come out until you have
something intelligent to say.....

Guys, lighten up. I suspect it's at least partly language related. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

And he *is* saying something, toodles. He's saything taht he things that indepentents or closed manifold isn't the right way.

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...

Guys, lighten up. I suspect it's at least partly language related. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

And he *is* saying something, toodles. He's saything taht he things that indepentents or closed manifold isn't the right way.

R..

Manos said...
The instructor that told you to dive independent tanks or closed
manifold needs to be shot for crimes to humanity.

For Got sake you get to hear this thinks only in This board.

ALWAYS OPEN. I can think of hundret and one disaster senarios
diving with a closed one.

Take note of the first sentance that suggests that the instructor should be shot. Language related?

He also seems to imply that you only hear things like that here. A board wide insult?

While I use a manifold with the isolator open I recognize that independents have been used for many years all over the world. The manifold was developed in the US and isn't (or wasn't) as prevelant elsewhere for a long time.

Manos make a statement that seems very clear and I don't believe that it's a language issue. If his intent was to teach or convince he would have mentioned the hundred disasters he can think of and debated them against the other hunded that the divers who dive independents can think of for a manifold.

Instead he just stated that some one should be shot and implied this board isfull of idiots.

I don't think I'll give him the benefit of any doubt. The only language difference is due to the fact that he speaks QUEST. A place where they aren't used to being exposed to different ideas.

He's a lemming just here to give us his George Irvine impersonation.

Also note here that Manos took his DIRF and Tech 1 in June of this year. Admitedly we don't know his prior experience but it doesn't exactly sound as thogh we are listening to the voice of experience here. Pretty confident for a newly DIRFed. Like I said...Lemming.

:rolleyes: Just as a note of interest, this Manos is the same guy who recently made it plain that he thinks that deco is a race to get to the surface. His comment was that he always cuts his deco short, and LAUGHS at others because he is eating a sandwich on the boat while they are still in the water.

Efficient deco practices are one thing. A dangerous attitude like this is entirely another!:eek:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
:rolleyes: Just as a note of interest, this Manos is the same guy who recently made it plain that he thinks that deco is a race to get to the surface. His comment was that he always cuts his deco short, and LAUGHS at others because he is eating a sandwich on the boat while they are still in the water.

Efficient deco practices are one thing. A dangerous attitude like this is entirely another!:eek:

Funny isn't it. I think he may have missed the point. In George Irvines article "Minimum Decompression", I seem to recall him stating that his method may result in more decompression for shorter exposures in the interest of efficient decompression.

Certainly after several hours at 300 ft they're doing less decompression than a Haldanian model will call for but do you think Manos is doing many of those? Maybe he'll tell us about them.

If you're warm and not sick or hurt what's the rush to get to the sandwich?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Funny isn't it. I think he (Manos) may have missed the point.....

Certainly after several hours at 300 ft they're (WKPP) doing less decompression than a Haldanian model will call for but do you think Manos is doing many of those? Maybe he'll tell us about them.

If you're warm and not sick or hurt what's the rush to get to the sandwich?

Actually, I must confess that I am powerless over my addiction to tuna-fish sandwiches....but I still refuse to cut my deco shorter than it should be to get to them!!!!:wink:

BJD :rofL:

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Manos said...

Take note of the first sentance that suggests that the instructor should be shot. Language related?

<snip>

He's a lemming just here to give us his George Irvine impersonation.

Mike,

Yes, language related. What I *do* know from personal experience is that when I was learning to speak Dutch I had some vivid experiences of seriously insulting people when I didn't think I was. I didn't attach any *emotional* value to words at first. They were just words with a definition and I used them like I was programming a computer and people occasionally reacted very strongly to me without me understanding why it got that reaction.

so he says "they should be shot" but I find it completely conceivable that he means "they are wrong". You can argue his opinion but don't confuse *what* he says with *how* he says it until we have more evidence.

I think you need to have learned a 2nd language to understand why I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

We'll have to wait and see what he says next.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom