Isotherm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ean3x

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, I have looked all over and can't find the answer to my question. If this is a repeat question I apologize. I want to start off saying that the isotherm is a GREAT suit and I would recomemend it to anyone so don't let this post discourage you if you are planning on buying one. I'm just having a few issues that I need help with.

I bought my isotherm in '04 or '05 I can't remember. It the grey and black one. I love the suit, but when I bought it the seals where a little too big to get a tight fit around my wrist and ankles. Eventhough they didn't fit as tightly as I would have liked I never got wet. The only water that was in the suit after a dive was my sweat. Now that I have 50+ dives on it the seals have stretched and do a poor job of sealing.

I use much caution when donning and doffing the suit and try to put as little strain on the seals as possible. I roll them in like your supposed to also. I'm doing everything right but now I'm wet and cold! I have inspected all of the seams for rips and there are none. The water is coming in from the seals.

Is there anyone who can replace the seals? If so please send their name and number?Has anyone had their seals replaced? Are you happy with the repair?

Also, after much urging, my buddy also bought an isotherm in '06 and his suit is nothing like mine. One thing that I like is that his has a "vest" built in. It's very nice and warm. The thing I don't like are the seals. We both wear the same size suit and even when the seals are rolled in they barely touch your skin. I've used his suit so its not just the difference in our bodies. Both suits fit us the same because we are the same weight and build. Why are his seals so big? Is this a defect, could the wrong size seals be installed? Does anyone else have this problem?

Another thing I noticed was the lack of the "bead" that is sewn onto the inside of the wrist and ankle seals on my suit. Why was this idea abandon?

For those of you who dive an Isotherm, try wearing a T-shirt or light sweatshirt when you dive. It will keep you even warmer. You will have to put on a dry one before the next dive but it works well.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Is there anyone who can replace the seals? If so please send their name and number?Has anyone had their seals replaced? Are you happy with the repair?

Hi ean3x, great post. I'm glad you like your Isotherm, it really is a great suit and a great value. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your seals. I think you have a couple of options. One is to trim the seals and reglue. While this is not a complicated process it is best if you have someone who has done it before to help or advise. What you do is cut a V in the wrist with the taper pointed up the arm, and then reglue with neoprene cement. If the seals are still in good shape then this is what I would "personally" do first. Two, there are a handful of custome wetsuit makers still out there that probably could replace with new seals. You have at least a 4-6 year old suit, and I can't remember exactly what the seals look like, so I can't say for sure if they can do it, most likely though. Try Otterbaysuits.com Homepage they are in Monterey CA, but if you search on the net you may find someone closer?

All things must evolve and change. We removed the "bead" you are referring to several years ago. I personally don't think it makes a difference, and prefer how the suits looks now.

Your friends suit is not a defect. If the seals are a problem for him, I would refer to what I said above.

I hope this answers your questions and helps you get back to a drier/warmer suit!

Best regards,

Thank you for the help. I will have to list your answer in the "DUH! Why didn't I think of that" category.

Back
Top Bottom