Issues stripping paint from Al40s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer all my cylinders plain. :)

Paint ain't what it used to be. "Modern surface coatings" is the new term. The good news is that the environmental regulations that reduced the volatile content of paint has produced some rugged alternatives. (As has been noted.)

Solvents like Zip Strip produced good results on 1990's tanks. Not today. Abrasive blasting will require extra effot on the new coatings, and may have an effect on the aluminum.

Things go in cycles, and yellow may be the tank of choice in a couple of years. Maybe you just bought in early.

Good luck with it.

I have to post with some recent results. I stripped a brand new Catalina AL80 with practically no hard work required. I simply applied the Citristrip stripper on to the tank in nice thick layers (didn't use a brush, just wore gloves and poured it on - its a gel so didn't run down straight away). Then once the entire tank was coated, I wrapped it in a couple layers of saran wrap. About 3 hours later, it actually started to wrinkle up properly as you expect it to (see my previous posts where I stated I never saw it wrinkle up). I left it overnight and half of the next day, and upon sliding the saran wrap down to get it off, the entire paint came off the cylinder and after a quick blast with the hose, not one bit of paint was left on!

Happy with the results, and I might take photos for the next tank I'm going to strip (brand new AL40) and post it here.

I have to post with some recent results. I stripped a brand new Catalina AL80 with practically no hard work required. I simply applied the Citristrip stripper on to the tank in nice thick layers (didn't use a brush, just wore gloves and poured it on - its a gel so didn't run down straight away). Then once the entire tank was coated, I wrapped it in a couple layers of saran wrap. About 3 hours later, it actually started to wrinkle up properly as you expect it to (see my previous posts where I stated I never saw it wrinkle up). I left it overnight and half of the next day, and upon sliding the saran wrap down to get it off, the entire paint came off the cylinder and after a quick blast with the hose, not one bit of paint was left on!

Happy with the results, and I might take photos for the next tank I'm going to strip (brand new AL40) and post it here.

GAH you're killin' me here...:rofl3:

I've done about a dozen tanks now of different finishes and use 'circa 1812' stripper. It's available pretty much everywhere and works very well. The trick is to be patient and to do small areas at a time. Keep the surface moist do not let it dry out. Sometimes a light scuff first helps the scrape off with a plastic putty knife. The only ones that gave me grief were older steels that have a thick rubber coating, it still worked though. 000 steel wool helps as well with the final touches.

At least you GOT your tanks. I'd have settled for yellow . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom