IST Pro Ear Mask & Doc's Pro Plugs!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using the Pro Ear Mask for years. It works. Takes getting used to. The ear cups are a little small so I have to work my ears into them. If you positively, absolutely have to keep your ears dry use both the Pro Ear mask and the Pro Plugs. The vent in the Pro plugs relies upon surface tension of the water to seal your ear canal. There will be a drop or two of water getting past the vent hole when you go past 20 ft/6 m. This is still far less water than no plug at all.

It is also possible to transfer the headband an ear cups to another mask. You would need to punch holes in the skirt of the receiving mask. I have so far performed this DIY project on a Sherwood and a Tusa Liberator mask.

Here's my original post about doing this:
Pro-Ear Mask Earcup Transplant

I have been using the Pro Ear Mask for years. It works. Takes getting used to. The ear cups are a little small so I have to work my ears into them. If you positively, absolutely have to keep your ears dry use both the Pro Ear mask and the Pro Plugs. The vent in the Pro plugs relies upon surface tension of the water to seal your ear canal. There will be a drop or two of water getting past the vent hole when you go past 20 ft/6 m. This is still far less water than no plug at all.

It is also possible to transfer the headband an ear cups to another mask. You would need to punch holes in the skirt of the receiving mask. I have so far performed this DIY project on a Sherwood and a Tusa Liberator mask.

Here's my original post about doing this:
Pro-Ear Mask Earcup Transplant
Great, thank you very much. The mask has just arrived but I'm waiting for the plugs before I try it out. Hopefully it'll do the job! Thanks again.

Any feedback? What is your experience?
Personally I use both, never together but migrated from the mask to the plugs only, mainly cause I love my normal dive mask and prefer to dive with it rather than the IST, but the IST kept me diving for just over a year while having tubes in my ears, now the plug keeps my ears dry enough not to suffer from infection after every dive.

The IST mask has worked really well so far ( after a good haircut! ). I'm probably going to put holes in the skirt of my normal mask though & move the ears to that as I'm not a big fan of the actual mask. I've had to order a another size of plugs though as even after using Doc Pros measuring chart I got ones that were too big! I'm really grateful of all the advice from everyone on here as it's given me the chance to get back in the water & continue diving. Thanks everyone!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom