IST Pro Ear Mask & Doc's Pro Plugs!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BGWOJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I need to keep an ear dry so that I can continue diving. I've looked into the IST pro ear mask & Doc's Pro plugs but seem to find mixed reviews. Has anyone here used either of these? If so how did they work out? I'm thinking about combining the two together.
Thanks.

Not direct experience, but my gf tried to utilize them, which did not work out for her.
Ok, thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

Been using Proplugs for ~20 years. They do have to fit right, and have to be inserted properly. I wouldn't call it a guarantee of a dry ear but they do a pretty good job.
Never used Pro Ear Mask. Have a buddy that did and it worked for his clearing issues. He improved his technique and sold it.
Another acquaintance is a very experienced diver but seems to have a fragile eardrum. On lengthy trips she would end up with a small leak in one ear. The Pro Mask seems to have taken care of that problem. Even easy "normal' clearing puts some stress on the eardrum. The Pro Mask seems to minimize that by keeping pressures equal.

To really be effective, the ist mask needs to be used with their special mask. My understanding is that the docs pro plugs are vented by design. That means that the pressure eventually overcomes the vent.

We have had people use each. Without the hood it is about 50/50. With the hood close to 100%. Docs pro plugs about 90%.

Been using Proplugs for ~20 years. They do have to fit right, and have to be inserted properly. I wouldn't call it a guarantee of a dry ear but they do a pretty good job.
Never used Pro Ear Mask. Have a buddy that did and it worked for his clearing issues. He improved his technique and sold it.
Another acquaintance is a very experienced diver but seems to have a fragile eardrum. On lengthy trips she would end up with a small leak in one ear. The Pro Mask seems to have taken care of that problem. Even easy "normal' clearing puts some stress on the eardrum. The Pro Mask seems to minimize that by keeping pressures equal.
Great, thank you. I've ordered a the mask & plugs so with a bit of luck they'll work!

To really be effective, the ist mask needs to be used with their special mask. My understanding is that the docs pro plugs are vented by design. That means that the pressure eventually overcomes the vent.

We have had people use each. Without the hood it is about 50/50. With the hood close to 100%. Docs pro plugs about 90%.
Thanks, I was looking at the hood too. It has a rubber seal inside so that's one more possible barrier. I'll get one. I really appreciate the advice, Thsnks.

Ok, thanks. I've ordered the mask & the plugs so I'll see how it goes! Thanks again I appreciate it.

You used to be able to get a 'fit kit' (all sizes of left only) from Proplugs. Proper size is critical. They do not fit like normal earplugs. Simply ordering online without knowing your fit, maybe the fit, maybe not.

You used to be able to get a 'fit kit' (all sizes of left only) from Proplugs. Proper size is critical. They do not fit like normal earplugs. Simply ordering online without knowing your fit, maybe the fit, maybe not.
I looked at the sizing chart so have measured my ear & orderd the size which should fit my ear. Thanks for the warning though!

Back
Top Bottom