It doesn't get a lot nearer than this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to provide a contrasting positive experience:

Was diving at the same location (OGB) last year with my fiancee. We decided to do a long surface swim out towards the green can to explore that area a bit. We were towing (and always do) a flag. A lobsterman came by to check his pots and immediately spotted us, he drifted slowly within shouting range and via a few shouts and hand signals, indicated that he was going to check a few pots in the area. We communicated that we understood and would wait for him to finish. He was friendly about the whole thing and we weren't really in any rush. I'm sure it's pretty hard for those guys to check their traps in areas of such heavy diving as OGB, since they are required to stay away from the flags.

Anyway, it IS possible to have a positive experience with the locals. Before stirring things up, could you perhaps just contact the captain directly to see if he/she even saw you in the water - give them the benefit of the doubt, despite the troubled history between divers and locals here. That said, sounds like a pretty scary experience and I'm glad nobody was injured.

You should make a report anyway. At least it will be on file, even if it doesn't trigger any sort of investigation, so that a future infraction may be supported by this report.

This an excellent point looking foreword. Looking backward you may have been the next guy. There may be reports already on file about this guy. The other thing I would suggest is that you talk to him if you are not ready to file a report and get his reaction. If he tells you to get bent, not in a diving way, I would report it.

"since they are required to stay away from the flags." incorrect - read the law.

---------- Post added May 21st, 2012 at 03:56 PM ----------

Persons scuba diving, skin diving, or snorkeling must display a red and white
divers flag. Divers or snorkelers must remain within 100 feet of the divers
flag.

If possible, vessel operators not engaged in the diving operation should stay
at least 100 feet from a displayed flag. If not possible, vessel operators must
reduce speed to no more than three miles per hour.

Report it, get it on record. If this is an area with lobster pots, then I would assume that there are buoys, then I would assume that the operator should be watching for buoys. If he can see a buoy he should be abole to see divers and a flag on the surface. If not, he doesn't need to be driving the boat.

In MA, it is legal and common practice for lobster boats to proceed at headway speed to work their traps right on top of a diver down flag...

Op said he did have a flag
maybe it was a bad idea to take a new diver to a place with high boat traffic.

getting lost and having no surface marker probably didnt help.

but hey-
maybe it was the other guys fault?

Thanks for the post. I think you have taken time to review the various scenarios on your own. We all have those experiences we can replay for different reactions and outcomes. Aftrerdark had told me that lobstermen are very territorial. They seem to have the mentality "shoot first and interrogate survivors".

The OP stated that he turned 90 degrees and began swimming away from the boat's path. The boat appeared to turn and tract them. The boaters perspective gives a pretty good idea of what can be reasonably expected. So given this info we assume that in this particular instance the boater gets a pass. However, this story does not fully indicate the boater simply did not see the divers.

As to the choice of dive spot for noobie, were is the best spot? Actually what a great lesson. Even though my comment above about lobstermen was radical, that is a total stereotype of one. Just as the assumption that a diver is a lobster poacher!

I don't think armchair assessments of what would you have done provide any useful information. Clarifying the law and self-preservation are what was of importance. Thank God you and your nephew are all right.

As to the choice of dive spot for noobie, were is the best spot? Actually what a great lesson. Even though my comment above about lobstermen was radical, that is a total stereotype of one. Just as the assumption that a diver is a lobster poacher!

For what it's worth. Old Garden Beach is a perfect spot for newbies. Easy entry, easy navigation. A lot of open water classes are done here.

As the operator of a 37 foot power boat lets look at the other side of this.

From more than 100 yards away in the open ocean you are invisible as a diver - even with a dive flag. If I am driving directly toward you odds are I won't see you until you are 20 - 30 yards away (depends on the boat but I don't have a flying bridge so even closer for me) - and that is if I am paying very close attention. Rough water or waves of any kind make it even worse. I have managed to drive over a 20 foot log 16" through that was floating just barely at the surface in relatively calm water. This in an area where floating debris is a constant hazard so I was paying extremely close attention. Didn't see it until it was 10 feet from the boat - too late to do anything but pray to the gods of bent props.

You are very hard to see swimming on the surface. Screaming will have absolutely no effect at all - none - I can't hear you. There is a reason boat horns are very loud. Waving a dive flag - good idea - making white water (swimming hard enough to splash etc.) good idea, unless there is a lot of white

water around you. Anything that breaks the pattern in the water. All of this depending on where the sun is - if I am driving toward the sun then you are essentially invisible no matter what you do.

Descending is by far the best option. If he was coming directly for you from that far away just as likely that was his course and he never saw you as that he was aiming for you and was trying to scare you. A boat is not like a car it wanders on course so the amount that you can swim perpendicular to a boat's course from 100 yards away is well within the amount that a boat will track so the fact that it seemed to change course toward you while it indicates that he might have been aiming for you it is not conclusive - could have been just bad luck that the boat tracked that way.

If you are in a place where there is likely to be, or even the possibility of boat traffic - you MUST be able to descend at any time. Otherwise don't dive there. Depending on a boat operator seeing you is a bad idea. It might happen, but it might not, and while it would likely be the operators fault in a boat/diver collision the boat wins every time.

Glad this worked out - as you say it could have been much worse.

Being on the water when a irresponsible boater is near is a very scary thing. I highly suggest you get a much much smaller boat that goes much slower. This post truly scares the dickens out of me.

Being on the water when a irresponsible boater is near is a very scary thing. I highly suggest you get a much much smaller boat that goes much slower. This post truly scares the dickens out of me.

Good thing - it might save your life. I in fact am a responsible boater - unfortunately there are lots that are not. This particular boat cannot travel any faster than 14 knots and I typically run at 6 - 7 knots. A smaller boat would likely travel at a much higher speed, be lower in the water and have much less visibility. Don't think I will take your suggestion. However in response I highly suggest that you not dive in an area that has boat traffic without either surface support or an exit strategy that gets you to the surface out of traffic lanes.

Hope you are scared enough to understand that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom