It pays to check your insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This isnt the first time its happened and im sure it wont be the last.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6379839.stm

Basically, a woman with a standard travel insurance policy that only qualifies to 30m went diving to 40m and got badly bent. Insurance wont pay and big medical bill.

It really really pays to make sure you're covered by insurance for the type of diving you're doing.

Standard travel policies nearly all have a no unguided and 30m max clause in them.

String:
Standard travel policies nearly all have a no unguided and 30m max clause in them.

Hmm, I'd be more concerned about the no unguided that the 30m max. Does this mean no coverage for shore diving (no DM)?

Given its standard travel insurance that 99% of people most of which dont dive take then i suspect yes.
This is a normal travel policy not a specific diving insurance policy.

It's stories like this that make me cringe every time I hear someone say, "I don't need DAN, my insurance covers me".

To be fair the standard travel insurance probably covers 90% of people. Who dive to 30m on holiday in a group.

Yeah, but DAN and Vicensia & Buckley will cover you to 130ft/40m for the small amount of $25. Way cheaper than the ride this woman is on. I tell everyone i know who dives, " better safe than sorry, it could be the best $25 you ever spend." I don't think alot of people don't know their regular insurance will not cover them.

Or just stick to her certification level and not have to spend a penny more on top of her trip policy which i suspect cost about £20 in total.

DAN really isn't needed here unless teaching or going below 30m. Every normal non diving holiday policy i can think of covers to 30.

You have 2 options, either dive to the limit of your travel insurance or take out extra paid for diving insurance.

Unfortunately here this person did neither.

Happened last year as well to someone left with a bill of over £50,000 as a result.

I didn't know that travel insurance would cover a ride in the chamber. Thanks for the info.

Does this mean that someone who is only Padi OW (Myself).would be covered to a maximum of 18 M on an ordinary travel ins policy, or am I covered to the 30 M.maximum on the policy.
Thanks

Hillmorton Scubie:
Does this mean that someone who is only Padi OW (Myself).would be covered to a maximum of 18 M on an ordinary travel ins policy, or am I covered to the 30 M.maximum on the policy.
Thanks

Although standard policies like the one I had recently from Columbus Direct usually throw in coverage to 30m, I'm pretty sure there's a clause that clarifies "with qualification".

Dive outside of your training and I suspect they'd use it as an excuse not to pay up.. not worth the risk (and probably not worth the risk anyway, if you see what I mean)

Back
Top Bottom