It pays to check your insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Or just stick to her certification level and not have to spend a penny more on top of her trip policy which i suspect cost about £20 in total.

DAN really isn't needed here unless teaching or going below 30m. Every normal non diving holiday policy i can think of covers to 30.

You have 2 options, either dive to the limit of your travel insurance or take out extra paid for diving insurance.

Unfortunately here this person did neither.

Happened last year as well to someone left with a bill of over £50,000 as a result.

Ahhh, but here is the rub. In you first post you listed "guided" as a requirement. Guided dives in North Carolina are almost non existent and are rare in Fla. Same goes for the rest of the US. Other places like Bonaire and Curacao do not often supply guides. I suspect there are many other places as well. In addition, if these insurance companies are like most, 30.000001 meters is enough for them not to pay. Who is and is not a “guide” is another problem. Add to that many medical facilities on this side of the Atlantic will not accept a lot of insurance except DAN. It's cash, CC or go away. Fighting with the insurance company and most likely not being paid is your problem.
The other problem I have with non dive specific insurance covering diving is how coverage is handled. Not having seen the travel policies you speak of, this may not apply but many general medical policies here require "approval" for special treatment. If you don't get approval from their doctor first, they don't pay. If I am hurt diving, I don't want some insurance company doctor who has zero knowledge of DCS deciding if a chamber ride or air evac is necessary or not.
The general travel policies may be a good idea but I would suggest a careful study of the actual policy and some research on their actual payment record before using them in the place of a specific dive accident policy.

Guided and 30m is fine for the vast majority of people. Yes some cases guided is unheard of such as the UK for example (but unless you're not a UK citizen you wont NEED insurance for diving in the UK). In the resort type places guided is the norm. As itis in the red sea where she was for example.
Due to the crazy out of control litigation culture in the USA such standard policies wouldnt apply but the UK isnt that bad...Yet
There is no approval nedeed or wrangling to get the correct doctor and so on. Again, so far, this is mainly a problem the other side of the atlantic.

You're just as covered on a 20m dive on a normal travel policy than you are with a DAN policy to 90m *provided you stay within the terms of the insurance*.

Hillmorton Scubie:
Does this mean that someone who is only Padi OW (Myself).would be covered to a maximum of 18 M on an ordinary travel ins policy, or am I covered to the 30 M.maximum on the policy.
Thanks

Check the wording, some insurance to 30m max OR qualification whichever is shallower. Some just mention blanket depth of 30m.

Others will allow certification but to 30m if under instruction.

They vary slightly but a lot ive seen just state a blanket depth. I used TPS and it was 30m regardless of qual, the post office (the one this woman had) i believe was a blanket 30m regardless of qual.

If it doubt, ring them, check and get clarification in writing before going.

I concur fully. Further, many insurance co. can 'pull the rug' under you by sending a new rider for many 'group' plans or if you sign up for one time special insurance for a particular trip and don't read the policy properly. I believe UK based health insurances will cover compressions as said here, it may not be honored in all diving locations particularly exotic ones, you'll have to read the policy.

OTAH, if you get DAN insurance, its nearly accepted everywhere although it has its own snags, you're roughly assured it will cover unlimited depth for $60 a year. Given the cost of compression as about $7000 each, not including travel assist for airlift costs etc., for another $5,000-$25,000 [ the latter for airvac to private jets in remote areas like Fiji] it would take about over 100 years to recuperate the cost of a single compression alone, or 200 years + including the travel insurance, to recoupe that cost based on DAN's premiums.

If you add the mandatory $30+ annual membership fee to the insurance, it still excellent cost effective coverage, and I didn't mention the other coverages it offers that are not critical, but can help such as the housing coverage.

NB: I am a DAN referral physician and post this as a potential conflict of interest statement. I am not a DAN employee. Further I have treated and assisted in DCI accidents from onset to discharge from hospital and the non-diving insurances did not pay without a fight, and later on DAN took over the rest of the cost.

herman:
Ahhh, but here is the rub. In you first post you listed "guided" as a requirement. Guided dives in North Carolina are almost non existent and are rare in Fla. Same goes for the rest of the US. Other places like Bonaire and Curacao do not often supply guides. I suspect there are many other places as well. In addition, if these insurance companies are like most, 30.000001 meters is enough for them not to pay. Who is and is not a “guide” is another problem. Add to that many medical facilities on this side of the Atlantic will not accept a lot of insurance except DAN. It's cash, CC or go away. Fighting with the insurance company and most likely not being paid is your problem.
The other problem I have with non dive specific insurance covering diving is how coverage is handled. Not having seen the travel policies you speak of, this may not apply but many general medical policies here require "approval" for special treatment. If you don't get approval from their doctor first, they don't pay. If I am hurt diving, I don't want some insurance company doctor who has zero knowledge of DCS deciding if a chamber ride or air evac is necessary or not.
The general travel policies may be a good idea but I would suggest a careful study of the actual policy and some research on their actual payment record before using them in the place of a specific dive accident policy.

Sad story, but also a warning to deeper depth divers to get insurance! We are responsible for our own safety and our own lives.

wow intense but moral of the story make sure you have insurance and it is for what you are diving for

Regular insurance policies are normally partial coverages only, like 80%. That is what mine is with Blue Cross. I presume that DAN covers 100% of a chamber visit, if that were ever needed. I always bring both my insurance card and my DAN card on all scuba trips. Some of the dive shops around the world that I dive with require you to bring both your C-card and your DAN card to participate.

How awful for the family but what can we learn besides not going beyond recommended limits and checking insurance policies? What caused her injuries to happen? I am referring to the diver profile. What do they mean by "experienced" in the BBC article?

It seems most on this forum agree with DAN recommendations and value their insurance. It is no wonder insurance companies will set a limit at 30 meters as the most respected organization in this area has such clear guidelines. Was this diver a technical diver? Why was she going 40 meters, or perhaps it was even deeper. Let the diver beware.

DAN Recommendation:
The most important risk factors in decompression sickness are dive depth and bottom time. However, there are other factors: exertion during the dive, rapid ascent, repetitive diving and diving deeper than 80 feet/24 meters are well documented risk factors. Hard exercise immediately after a dive can induce decompression sickness. Exposure to altitude or flying after a dive also increases the risk of decompression sickness. (Page 58)

Source:
DAN America Dive & Travel Medical Guide - Ed Thalmann, MD-revised 2005

Hydration also plays a factor.

AZ

nereas:
Regular insurance policies are normally partial coverages only, like 80%. That is what mine is with Blue Cross. I presume that DAN covers 100% of a chamber visit, if that were ever needed.
My understanding is that in your case DAN would only pick up the 20% that Blue Cross doesn't pay. (This assumes that you are located in USA and your DAN policy is with DAN Service Inc.)

Better chack and see if Blue cross covers a ride in the chamber. Last time i looked they didn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom