It takes a special kind of stupid...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think its commendable for the principal to handle it internally.

People are way to sue happy in this world. The staff member is an idiot, he isn't a criminal or a terrorist. How about he gets reprimanded and whatever internal policies they have are used and that's the end of it.

No kid was injured, killed or permanenly scarred for life. The staff member is stupid, that's about it. How would this have been handled 50 years ago, before today when everybody needs some sort of pound of flesh from everybody else and needs to make lawyers rich?

It was stupid, but you figure the person was probably a youngster not even 21 yet, and his or her whole life could be ruined over this, esp. if s/he goes to jail. "Hate the sin, not the sinner"?

People are way to sue happy in this world. The staff member is an idiot, he isn't a criminal or a terrorist. How about he gets reprimanded and whatever internal policies they have are used and that's the end of it.

No kid was injured, killed or permanenly scarred for life. The staff member is stupid, that's about it. How would this have been handled 50 years ago, before today when everybody needs some sort of pound of flesh from everybody else and needs to make lawyers rich?

Eventually, if not already, students will learn of the teacher's actions, and the visible results.

Students are usually pretty severely punished for even minor offenses of weapons, or drug rules on school property. What lesson is being taught if there is not visible price paid for such an illegal action by a responsible adult?

Also, how can a grown person not realize that a bomb scare, hoax will be passed along to the police?
Seriously?
They have either been under a rock for a long time, or maybe are currently under some other effects, that make them unable to make rational choices. :idk:

Also, how can a grown person not realize that a bomb scare, hoax will be passed along to the police?
Seriously?
They have either been under a rock for a long time, or maybe are currently under some other effects, that make them unable to make rational choices. :idk:

Someone under 25 is a grown person?

Well, on the one hand the law says yes, on the other hand, although I admit to being a bit over that age myself, I have been told more than once that I do not act like an grown-up, mature adult.
:D :idk:

Google: Zero Tolerance Schools, to browse the standards those far younger than 25 are being routinely held to by our schools. Not saying it is right, but kids are extremely quick to recognize double standards, which this could easily be seen as.

It was stupid, but you figure the person was probably a youngster not even 21 yet, and his or her whole life could be ruined over this, esp. if s/he goes to jail. "Hate the sin, not the sinner"?

Someone under 25 is a grown person?

While I agree it's probably a younger person, at this point I don't know how old the person is.

But even assuming a minimum of 21 they should know by now that actions have consequences. If not, seems like a perfect opportunity for them to learn that lesson.

Well, on the one hand the law says yes, on the other hand, although I admit to being a bit over that age myself, I have been told more than once that I do not act like an grown-up, mature adult.
:D :idk:

Google: Zero Tolerance Schools, to browse the standards those far younger than 25 are being routinely held to by our schools. Not saying it is right, but kids are extremely quick to recognize double standards, which this could easily be seen as.

While I agree it's probably a younger person, at this point I don't know how old the person is.

But even assuming a minimum of 21 they should know by now that actions have consequences. If not, seems like a perfect opportunity for them to learn that lesson.

Yes, y'all are right. There's no doubt that it's a terrible offense and the book will be thrown. Thank God zero tolerance didn't exist when we were young. Instead of understanding cops, some of us would've been in jail, with records to stop us from getting our degrees and pursuing careers.

Just sad, because I sure as hell can't pick up the first stone.

Yes, y'all are right. There's no doubt that it's a terrible offense and the book will be thrown. Thank God zero tolerance didn't exist when we were young. Instead of understanding cops, some of us would've been in jail, with records to stop us from getting our degrees and pursuing careers.

Just sad, because I sure as hell can't pick up the first stone.

I'm not saying the person needs to be hung. But keep in mind this person works in the daycare. If this is the best judgment they can exercise and there is no repercussion for it, what does that teach them?

Maybe it would be ok for them to smack a toddler that won't stop crying too?

I pretty much stayed out of trouble because I had the fear of God (and Dad) in me of what happened if I got caught doing something stupid. Too many people these days are lacking that.

Did you see this? http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/03/16/live-chicken-prank-lands-3-n-j-students-in-the-coop/

Two students release a live chicken in their school as a prank, and face criminal charges.

In this case, an adult calls a bomb threat into a school and no one wants to press charges.

Seems like these two responses are a bit reversed.

:confused: I dont think it is commendable at all. The kids need to see that when you do wrong you have to pay for it. As far as 50 years ago we live in a new world now with terrorist and school shootings that we did not have in the "good ole days". Teachers and principals are respnsible for your kids safty. That is why I feel not enough was done.

I'm not saying the person needs to be hung. But keep in mind this person works in the daycare. If this is the best judgment they can exercise and there is no repercussion for it, what does that teach them?

Maybe it would be ok for them to smack a toddler that won't stop crying too?

I pretty much stayed out of trouble because I had the fear of God (and Dad) in me of what happened if I got caught doing something stupid. Too many people these days are lacking that.

Did you see this? Live Chicken Prank Leads To Criminal Charges For 3 N.J. High School Students « CBS New York

Two students release a live chicken in their school as a prank, and face criminal charges.

In this case, an adult calls a bomb threat into a school and no one wants to press charges.

Seems like these two responses are a bit reversed.

:shocked: Absolutely! Please don't take my thoughts as "no repercussions"! I think s/he should be caned! But a felony charge?

Some years back, we had a patron set off a smoke bomb in a nightclub as a joke. Nobody died, but dozens were seriously injured making the dash for the exit. Just a joke, right? When people have those deadly nightclub fires on their minds.

Bomb threats in schools after Columbine? Outrageous!

People must learn there are consequences to their actions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom