It's snowing!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtown7:
Sorry for what seems to be a newbie question, but what is required for the ice diving speciality? Is it meant to be done after AOW? Furthermore does anyone know if anyone in the GTA will be offering it? Or I suppose it just depends on interest, eh?

Also a question for all of you - do you OFWF tend to treat the "off season" as just that, the off season, or do you still actively get out in this area? I'm not really in the position to go anywhere warm, but even to join a club to get into the pool or something like that would make me a happy camper. I'm new to the area and just trying to get an idea of the dive shops/clubs in the area.

Thanks guys in advance for all of your help!

Ryan.

Ice Diving is a specialty course and I think most dive shops have it. Diving in the winter is a little different then in the summer but I am not the best person to give you advice.

Alot of the OFWF are "all season" divers. FreeFloat is constantly posting pics of her ice diving.

We usually hit the pool a few times over the winter. No trips South yet, but working on it. I have dove (wet) as late at Dec 23 (actually did a couple of short ones on New Years 2 years running as part of a fund raiser, but they had heated tent for changing, warm water for your suit, etc, so I don't include with my run of the mill dives). I have a drysuit now, so expect to be out more this year, but think I'll skip the ice diving, since I don't own a Husquavarna.

It was snowing in Kingston today as we retrieved the last of the moorings for POW. The above water visibility got so bad with a "whiteout" that the Captian had to look over the side of the boat with his mask in order to see where he was going. (No really- we did have to do that-- and use GPS and Radar)----

Sad day though as the dropping of the lines marks the end of the charter season in Kingston..............

Cliff

Ah yes, he had a mask on, but was he wearing shoes... it its the captain I think it is, that man has leather for skin as I've never seen him with shoes on in the coldest of days on the water.

BTW... tell him I said hello.

Dave

Thank you to all the people and charter operators who have taken the time to maintain and moor and unmoor the wrecks for us each year. It is greatly appreciated.

I guess we will get on our way to do some diving down south now that all the wrecks are taken care of.
Which ones did you do today Cliff ?

Snow I thought I had heard that word can't remember what it is ? Is it that white stuff we see way up on the mountains ? Cool !

Derek

wolf eel:
Snow I thought I had heard that word can't remember what it is ? Is it that white stuff we see way up on the mountains ? Cool !

Derek

I have a shovel with your name on it Derek!!! :wink:

Ontario Diver:
Yes, all specialities take place after AOW.

Actually, that's not the case any more. According to my manual, most Specialties can be done after OW. The exceptions are Ice, Cavern, Search & Recovery, Wreck, and Deep.

If I've omitted anything, fellow Instructors, please chime in!

FYI, the only ice I want over my head is in a glass. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom