It's That Time Of Year Again. Idiot Boaters Don't Know What A Dive Flag Is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure what the law is in FL, but in Maryland you are required to take a safe boating course. My wife and I did it when we took sailing lessons, even though it was geared for power boats.
From both the training courses, I recall all types of info on flags and right of way for boaters, but nothing about looking out for divers. I had enough frustration from power boaters not understanding the rules or respecting other boaters when under sail, but until I started diving, Dive flags were not as high on my radar.
I think a lot of this could be changed with education/training courses for all boaters, and enforcement. I would like to see no wake zones in dive areas, and fine boaters that do not get with the program. Nobody wants scuba police, but this is an issue where people get seriously injured or worse, every year.

One reason to boat dive so you can come up under it. But then again I do not have a place to shore dive from.

I find so many boaters here do not even know what a dive flag is. I print and post signs at marinas and laminated ones at boat launches when I am at them. It is my way of educating boaters.
DEMA has a good one you can download and print at http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.dema.o...ted/DiveFlagAwarenessPoster2013_LegalSize.pdf
Thanks. I'm going to see if I can get local authorities post this in Hood Canal in the opposite corner of the country. Wish me luck!

From both the training courses, I recall all types of info on flags and right of way for boaters, but nothing about looking out for divers.
I have to admit, this is a bit disconcerting. As I started reading the thread, one thought that occurred to me is that 'thoughtless' boaters probably haven't been exposed to concepts such as dive flags, because they haven't bothered to take any boating safety training (the 'I don't need no stinkin' training' mindset). But, it appears that may not be a solution after all.

Was this a USCG course? Or, do private contractors offer courses that can then be used to meet local regulation? It would seem that a USCG course would include emphasis on things such as dive flags. But, I may be assuming too much.

I dive the Pompano Drop off a lot, have to swim out..I often see sea doo's and boats going up and down, however, I think the first are worse given they change direction so fast. Here's a recent pic(from 2 weeks ago) showing a boat extremely close to the Pompano Pier. I use a torpedo float with a flag and at almost 4 feet, sometimes I think it's not big enough (many boaters just don't pay attention).

Pompano Beach Pier, FL

Carry a bang stick and use it on the boat's hull

Captain Budweiser loves his shiny clean boat to show off to his friends in the driveway. Maybe a type of permanent red dye pack attached to the top of the dive flag marking the offending boat would make it easier for LEO's to ID (as well as his friends :) )

An anchored boat clearly flying a dive flag with all around coverage of video recordings should be able to record and ID the violators if LE is interested in taking action.

I've had jet skiers use my float with flag as a pylon in Lake Tahoe.
Usually it's some young kid with his girlfriend on the back and they rented the ski from the beach kiosk. I even went as far as going to the kiosk afterward and speaking with the attendant about it, what the flag means, the fact that I got buzzed, and maybe if they could educate they customers about what a dive flag means etc. It turned out they were as clueless about dive flags as the boaters.
Figures.

I dive and boat. The little red flag is a joke. It is hard to see on the water. We need an improved flag design. Also, when you are moving at boat speed the bouncing bouy and flag most divers tow is next to impossible to see until you are right on top of it. Glare on the water can make the bouy and flag hard to see. A bright yellow flag of sufficient size with the red diver flag in the middle would be a good start. Also, the higher the flag pole the better. Most charter dive boats have big diver flags on the sides of the boat as well. Next time you see a dive boat on the water check to see at what distance you can actually see and identify the red diver flag. You will be shocked when you realize it is almost invisible, even when you are looking for it. So for identifying to authorities what your on the water activity is, it works, for coolness factor it get high marks, but for safety it sucks.

I dive the Pompano Drop off a lot, have to swim out..I often see sea doo's and boats going up and down, however, I think the first are worse given they change direction so fast. Here's a recent pic(from 2 weeks ago) showing a boat extremely close to the Pompano Pier. I use a torpedo float with a flag and at almost 4 feet, sometimes I think it's not big enough (many boaters just don't pay attention).

Pompano Beach Pier, FL
I think your last sentence hit the nail on the head. They aren't paying attention!
How many animals die each year because of boat strikes? Some times it's inevitable (to the demise of the critters), but the majority of the time is because of lack of awareness of the surroundings. Big open spaces, they think they can do anything. They are only (maybe) looking for other boats.. nothing else matters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom