it's the instructor ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somewhere out there in Thailand there's an SSI instructor who did something wonderful for my friend's daughter ... he turned her into a diver. Not just someone who swims around underwater, but someone who was taught enough to know how to think, control, adapt, and enjoy herself in that environment.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't doubt that the instructor did a lot to get the young lady off to a good start but a few other angles do come to mind.

1. Being in warm water she probably got to see some very competent divers in warm water. For some divers getting to witness what competency looks like is a huge head start. If you get into a region where mediocre instruction is the norm new divers have less to work with as role models.

2. I suspect she was something of a natural. She probably came to the sport with solid waterman ship and her adaptation to scuba diving was solid if not easy. The instructor could certainly be a contributing factor for a lot of this.

With decent skills and a perception of what competent diving should look like she was left with the cold water gear. I'm sure your skills in configuring her weights and the fit of her BC helped ease the migration.

I think there were probably enough kudos to pass around to all involved.

Pete

Always good to hear about good instruction happening. Too many people only comment on someone's training if it is bad.

If you get a chance, ask her who and where she got her OW.

I am a frequent visitor to Thailand myself and I have some friends who are interested in going. It would be great to have the name and location of someone to recommend to them.

Mind you, I know some excellent instructors in Thailand, but my friends may not be going to the locations where these instructors are. Always good to know more.

Thanks,
Thom

It's good to hear that she was comfortable and smiling after her dive. I do like to hear of new divers enjoying the sport! It can really make a dif if someone is not happy and ill informed.
Good job!
See you topside! John

Good to hear there are some great instructors out there. I too get tired of reading the complaining and whining all the time (even though I participate in it frequently).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom