Jacket BCD to BP/W transition experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonka97

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Many experienced divers have strongly recommended the backplate/wing (bp/w) combination, and vociferously criticize jacket style buoyancy compensators.

As a satisfied user of SeaQuest's ProQD jacket BC, I just added a Golem bp/w rig, and continue my learning curve. My primary aim was to add a 2nd independent tank for redundancy, and this required a backplate rig.

Here is some info for other divers considering the transition (or just addition) from jacket style BCD to bp/w:

You will need to get extra hardware to mount your tanks; if you choose doubles, this will be an additional $125-300. This requires a learning curve to locate, choose, and install the right bands for your tanks and backplate.

You will also have to purchase weight pockets (or wt. belt), and add additional pockets or attachment pouches to your wet suit or backplate. These can be pricey, especially if you choose to stay with the same brand of bp/w. (I did)

It can be frustrating assembling the bp/w, and ScubaBoard is a great resource for getting help. :coffee: (that groin strap D ring was a lot of fun!:rofl3: )

Here are 2 links to help with assembly provided by Golem Gear, who informed me that there was no 'Golem' manual or instructions available for my newly purchased gear.:(

http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/ba...djustment.html
http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/kit/harness_2.htm

BTW: I also plan to continue to use my Seaquest ProQD jacket BCD....It's great, and I do not find it 'clumsy', or 'tends to keep your feet down in the wrong swimming position', or 'excessive drag when swimming'. Easy neutral buoyancy, relaxed feet-up swimming, integrated weights-easily ditchable, easy to don-doff if you use that right chest release button, quality material throughout; wasn't a 'kit' that I had to put together.

Happy diving!:D

tonka97:
You will need to get extra hardware to mount your tanks; if you choose doubles, this will be an additional $125-300. This requires a learning curve to locate, choose, and install the right bands for your tanks and backplate.
That's not really a BP/W thing, it's a doubles thing. Even if you were somehow able to attach them to your SeaQuest jacket, you'd need bands and mounting hardware. If you're diving a BP/W with single tanks, you may or may not decide to get additional mounting hardware.
tonka97:
You will also have to purchase weight pockets (or wt. belt), and add additional pockets or attachment pouches to your wet suit or backplate. These can be pricey, especially if you choose to stay with the same brand of bp/w. (I did)
You don't necessarily have to do any such thing. I don't have any pockets (or ditchable weights) on mine, and I get along just fine. With no belt or extra weight, I'm neutral with nearly empty HP100s and an aluminium plate. I did add a 5thDimension pocket to my drysuit (which I picked for price and functionality, not matching brand name), but I'd want that regardless of my BC choice. YMMV, but scuba accessories are generally expensive. The more custom stuff you want to add, the more it'll cost you to get it.

There are some extra costs to bp/w unless you already had the extras. These may include:

1. Two thigh pockets/glue or x-shorts. ~$100 (though I got a pair of x-shorts off ebay for $20 + shipping, and fifthd.com has bellows pockets for $20 a piece though I haven't tried them).

2. Weight pockets. Two XS scuba weight pockets cost about $20 and hold up to 12# in total so that's enough for most people. They fit standard 2" webbing and can be placed on the waist strap, though you may want to add a few triglides also. You can also use them for a v-weight substitute for doubles; just put two of them on 13" long piece of excess harness, cut holes on it 11" apart, add desired amount of weight and use the same way v-weights are used. (I'll post a pic later. disclaimer: while I did do this I have not had a chance to try it on a twinsets yet, but I believe it should work fine).

3. Boltsnaps. Maybe ~$50 at least (I've spent more than that). SS snaps cost $5-10 a piece and you need them for the primary, backup lights, SPG and anything else you plan to clip onto your harness or pockets.

4. Bungee, bike tire, cave line... Slashed tires from your local bike shop can probably be had for free, you can get 10 ft. 1/8" or 3/16" bungee for maybe $10 shipped, perhaps less if you can buy it locally. You need it for the backup reg (bungee necklace), loop for the inflator, and loops for the pockets if that's what you choose to use. Cave line (for tying boltsnaps, etc.) is cheap too, but you need to buy it in bulk, so maybe another $5.

As for doubles, the tank bands and bolts aren't cheap, but I've seen some deals on them on SB, and others buy them with the twinset. For independent doubles you may have cheaper alternatives. My first ID dives didn't require any extras because my DSS plate has cam strap slots for them (though I had to cut slots on my doubles wing as well). I now use an STA with an extra pair of cam straps and 2 slide keepers (I have a thread somewhere on how to do it), which I had for other things already so again I didn't end up spending any extra for them. Of course there are bands specifically designed for ID diving, which are nicer than what I use (and more expensive), but I just use ID's when manifolded doubles aren't available so there was no point for me to spending the extra on something heavy that I wouldn't want to bring with me on vacation anyway.

Sounds like the Seaquest ProQD jacket BCD is nice rig.

hmmm....

Try not to convert your nice, clean, uncluttered, streamlined harness rig into a BCD by adding pockets and straps and dangly bits all over it....

Thats my advice anyways.

Most of this has nothing to do with converting from a SeqQuest Pro QD to a BP/W, as MSilvia said, although it has lots to do with the particular type of diving your doing. As a plain-vanilla tropical diver, when I ditched my Pro QD for a BP/W, I simply bought a backplate, harness & wing. No weight pockets, weights, weight belt, crotch strap, or other accessorizing was necessary. I discarded most of the D-rings. After a while, I decided to ditch the W and just dive the BP. The feeling of freedom of movement in the water is great! I think of it as the "Tropical Minimalist" style of diving.

What's the point of this mini-rant? Well, as usual, a LOT depends on where you dive and in what conditions.

I, too, hope to move from a jacket-style BC to a BP/W setup, so I'm interested to know more about your experience from a diving perspective. How does it compare concerning trim, buoyancy control, ease of donning/doffing, handling on land, set-up and tear-down, cleaning/maintenance, etc.?

Oh, I just realized, you're talking about converting not just from BC to BP, but also from single cylinder to two, so some of these things may not compare. But please share more of your thoughts on how it works. And thanks!

Alex777:
Most of this has nothing to do with converting from a SeqQuest Pro QD to a BP/W, as MSilvia said, although it has lots to do with the particular type of diving your doing. As a plain-vanilla tropical diver, when I ditched my Pro QD for a BP/W, I simply bought a backplate, harness & wing. No weight pockets, weights, weight belt, crotch strap, or other accessorizing was necessary. I discarded most of the D-rings. After a while, I decided to ditch the W and just dive the BP. The feeling of freedom of movement in the water is great! I think of it as the "Tropical Minimalist" style of diving.

What's the point of this mini-rant? Well, as usual, a LOT depends on where you dive and in what conditions.

Good point.
I wasnt having a rant by the way, just my point of view!
I switched from a BCD to a BPW cause I didnt like the bulk or "random-auto-adjust" of a BCD, and I never used those pockets that always ended up in my armpits anyway!

Have fun experimenting with your setups. And dive what's comfortable for you, thats what I say.

Back
Top Bottom