Jacket style BC recommendations for first setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel the need to caution you before buying something you've never tried on. Fit is everything for a BC and regardless of the type or brand you're interested in, you really should try as many as you can before buying.

When I got certified, the Diva was strongly recommended to me, and when I found an amazing deal on ebay, I pulled the trigger and bought one. I will say it literally look less than 6 dives before I knew I made a huge mistake. Back to ebay it went and after a LOT of research and browsing, I bought a Zeagle Zena. Almost 400 dives later and I wouldn't trade my Zena for anything, it is the perfect BC for me.

Ultimately that's the secret...finding the perfect BC for YOU. So if you can hit a bunch of dive shops and try on a bunch of BCs, do it. You can then buy off ebay or online if you want, but do yourself a favor and buy the BC that is right for you, not simply the one that someone recommends.

This is the best advice so far. If price is a consideration look at some of the less expensive new bc's as well. There is no need to go used to get a good BC at a very good price. I have bought used and got a great deal for my gf on a used tusa. I also have a scubamax I bought new years ago and use it from time to time. It works, was cheap, and has lasted. ScubaPro and Aqualung aren't the only makers of quality BC's. And fact is you'll likely replace or augment it with something else any way.

Don't go too cheap. I have owned several....

No, go cheap for this very reason. Its very likely that after some experience you'll want to try different styles of BCs; most divers do. A used SIMPLE BC is a good way to start, you'll almost certainly end up diving with something else. You might like a jacket BC now, but once you get some experience and sensitivity to buoyancy control, your feelings might change.

Excellent point! I don't know anyone who is an active diver who didn't switch out their entire kit within the first 2-3 years. Quality is still important, but there are some good deals to be had out there.

i have found some good deals, but they always seem to be the wrong size. I need a man's medium and keep finding XLs...im sure one will come up.

200-250 would be a good price range, however, i'm hoping to find something used that is a little less expensive.

I just bought a computer, and still also need a regulator and octopus.

Thanks for all the good advice, I found a used seaquest setup in my size with a regulator and octo! He also threw in a 7mm wet suit also in my size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom