Jacket Style BCD Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight once bubbled...
My advice to those know-at-alls is to go out on a dive boat someplace like Coz or Grand Cayman and one by one tell each diver (because you will be the only one with a backplate) that their gear sucks. Then, hope that you are able to swim back to shore.

I don't usually get involved in these discussions but this is a little different situation than a dive boat. On the boat everyone is there to dive and have fun. On a diving discussion board people come to ask advice and any that is given is valid. If you like one type of gear it is OK to recommend it as long as it is done in a polite and constructive manner.

Dive Safe...no matter what gear you are in.

Chad

leadweight wrote...
What problem with other options?
The one evidenced by your comment on "BP know-it-alls" and your flawed analogy of unsolicited gear condemnations vs. solicited free discussion.

leadweight wrote...
mth71's point is that no one even asks what the BC will be used for before recommending a BP like that was the only thing that works under the water for anyone.
Other than for some types of photography, I'm unaware of any situation where a jacket-style would be superior to a BP or a good-quality back-inflate. Since he didn't specify any specialized uses, I went with a general recommendation.

leadweight wrote...
To put it another way, how different does the option have to be before it is off topic?
Sounds like a good topic for the Site Support forum.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
99% if not 99.9% of the divers I see are oriented head up foot down.
You definitely need to come down for a visit. If nothing else we'll skew those percentages down a bit.
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

You definitely need to come down for a visit. If nothing else we'll skew those percentages down a bit.
Rick

OK

Based on some of the input from others who have joined this thread. I'm not alone in my perception that some people get too hung up on their way being the right way and trying to ram it down everyone else's throats. I think jacket, back inflate, and BP's are great for whoever finds them the most comfortable for the majority of diving they do. AND if they can afford it as I can and apparantly Rick M. can....they may have or want to have more than one BC for different kinds of diving. You see specialization as a weakness...I don't. The less rigid of us on this board think that you can use many different kinds of gear and have a good time doing so...CAN YOU?

If I had a nickle everytime you got into heated debates with others on this board over your insistance that BPs are always superior no matter what the dive or who the diver...I'd be able to buy one of each BC on the market and you know what?...you guessed it...STILL BE ABLE TO ENJOY DIVING!!!!!!

Note to Newbies: Don't let gear obsession interfere with a good time! Don't listen to certain people that insist that a BP is the best for all types of DIVING. Because that may even be true, but it doesn't mean the BP is the best for all types of DIVERS.

Dive often, Dive safe!

Mouth Breather wrote...
Based on some of the input from others who have joined this thread. I'm not alone in my perception that some people get too hung up on their way being the right way and trying to ram it down everyone else's throats.
Red herring #1. It's up to each individual diver to decide which one would be best for him/her. I've done nothing more than state my experiences with both jackets and BPs and my reasoning why I prefer one over the other. If you have a problem with me or anyone else providing input or debating points that you raise, then I suggest you take it up with board management.

Mouth Breather wrote...
I think jacket, back inflate, and BP's are great for whoever finds them the most comfortable for the majority of diving they do. AND if they can afford it as I can and apparantly Rick M. can....they may have or want to have more than one BC for different kinds of diving.
A valid point. See, you can make one! :wink:

Mouth Breather wrote...
You see specialization as a weakness...I don't.
False.

Mouth Breather wrote...
The less rigid of us on this board think that you can use many different kinds of gear and have a good time doing so...CAN YOU?
This shows that my hope you'd finally mastered the reading comprehension skills mentioned in my last post to you was in vain. Instead of constantly bleating about this, try reading it again one last time. If that doesn't work, ask someone to explain it to you.

Mouth Breather wrote...
If I had a nickle everytime you got into heated debates with others on this board over your insistance that BPs are always superior no matter what the dive or who the diver...I'd be able to buy one of each BC on the market and you know what?...you guessed it...STILL BE ABLE TO ENJOY DIVING!!!!!!
Red herring argument #2. You're just making this stuff up as you go along, aren't you?

I've never said anything of the kind....just check the archives and prove me wrong. In fact, I noted above that jacket style BCs may be better for professional-level UW photography. BPs apparently don't work well for sidemount diving, based on what I've read of it. Maybe Mike Ferrara would like to address that one.

For general rec diving, and for its ability to move into tech diving with very little difficulty, my money's on the BP over all the jacket styles I've tried. From what I know of the basic characteristics of jacket BCs, I can infer that would probably apply to all jacket styles. YMMV.

BTW, better recount your nickels. You'd have less than a quarter...which would buy you a nice jacket BC at the prices I'd be willing to pay. :wink:

Note to Mouth Breather: the preceding paragraph is an example of humor. Refer to dictionary if you have questions.

Mouth Breather wrote...
Note to Newbies: Don't let gear obsession interfere with a good time! Don't listen to certain people that insist that a BP is the best for all types of DIVING.
Agree with both...especially the second. Don't just listen to anyone blindly...think for yourself. Read everything you can, ask questions wherever you can, try as many styles as you can, and make an informed decision.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
There are things that can be done to get trimmed with the jacket but not many do or even know what to do.
Hi MikeF: as a warm water, no-wetsuit-needed diver, I rarely need to wear any weights, and rarely do we have to put more than 6-10 pounds even on students. So we rarely need to be creative with where we throw the weight on them. However, I'm very curious, should the need arise, where should we place the weight on them on the jacket BC? Short of getting one of those full-body weight harness things, and using the pockets (which aren't too far from where the weight would be on a weight belt), and using tank trim weights, what do you normally do to trim a student in a jacket BC?

To leadweight, Mouth Breather, et al... I think one problem is that you seem to not be willing to consider the backplate to be a viable alternative within the BC category: "I think we should split this BC thingie into "Backplates" and everything else that can hold a tank on your back.". But as far as I see a buoyancy compensating device is anything that helps you compensate buoyancy. Some will be better than others. b/p users think so and they give their reasons why, as a matter of recommending an option that has worked for many people. I use one and it is fantastic in a non-tech capacity; I'm as un-DIR as you get with my split fins and Cobra, and the closest I'll get to an overhead dive is when I pass underneath the boat on the way to the ladder. So it's totally a recreational rig, and can be compared to any jackets in that capacity.

But I'll agree that diving is fun whether I'm in my b/p or holding an inverted plastic bag over my head to stay neutrally buoyant. :wink: The point is - whatever works best for you.

divedivedive! once bubbled...
where should we place the weight on them on the jacket BC?
Many of the newer jackets have trim weight pockets located high on the jacket, and they work well. Or you can drop back to the way we used to do it (and still do when necessary) and put an ankle weight or two around the tank valve under the regulator. Getting those feet up off the bottom is key to making a diver a good one.
E. striatus

Hi MikeF: as a warm water, no-wetsuit-needed diver, I rarely need to wear any weights, and rarely do we have to put more than 6-10 pounds even on students. So we rarely need to be creative with where we throw the weight on them. However, I'm very curious, should the need arise, where should we place the weight on them on the jacket BC? Short of getting one of those full-body weight harness things, and using the pockets (which aren't too far from where the weight would be on a weight belt), and using tank trim weights, what do you normally do to trim a student in a jacket BC?

Ahh... the 64 dollar question. It is one of my pet peaves because divers that learn to dive in warm water or normally dive warm water or learn to dive from someone who's techniques are geared for warm water just pile the weight on their waist. They then dive standing up when wearing a 7 mil suit and a bunch of weight. Oh...instructors too.

As Epinephelus said trim pockets can help but it usually isn't enough. We also sometimes put ankle weight on the tank neck as Epinephelus said. The tank can be raised. Most wear them way too low anyway. There are commercial tank and keel weights that can be used. One thing I do is to thread a couple of two pound hard weights onto the upper cam band as close to my back as I can get it. We dont need 25 pounds of ditchable weight when diving a single Al 80 and the waist is usually the wrong place to put the weight.

To leadweight, Mouth Breather, et al... I think one problem is that you seem to not be willing to consider the backplate to be a viable alternative within the BC category: "I think we should split this BC thingie into "Backplates" and everything else that can hold a tank on your back.". But as far as I see a buoyancy compensating device is anything that helps you compensate buoyancy. Some will be better than others. b/p users think so and they give their reasons why, as a matter of recommending an option that has worked for many people. I use one and it is fantastic in a non-tech capacity; I'm as un-DIR as you get with my split fins and Cobra, and the closest I'll get to an overhead dive is when I pass underneath the boat on the way to the ladder. So it's totally a recreational rig, and can be compared to any jackets in that capacity.

But I'll agree that diving is fun whether I'm in my b/p or holding an inverted plastic bag over my head to stay neutrally buoyant. :wink: The point is - whatever works best for you.

Actually, I do consider the BP to be an option for recreational diving, just one that is more trouble than it is worth. See other posts above and in this forum for the "why" I think backplates are not the best way to dive a single tank. However, anyone that has one is welcome to keep diving their BP, and I have no objection to diving with those that use them.

My real beef is that this thread started with someone asking about jackets and rather than answering the question; the BP crowd is trying to change the direction of things. IMO, that is off topic so far as this thread is concerned. Then I hear a bunch of weak BS about how the originator of the thread was only "thinking" about buying another jacket, so that makes it fair game. Finally, it is the attitude that the BP is the only way to go for all applications that is totally kaput.

You can stand on a busy dock in a warm water location and watch 150 divers board various dive boats and the only beckplate you will see is if you brought one yourself. What you will see is mostly jackets and a fairly good percentage of back inflate BC's mostly made by Zeagle. That is reality.

It is absurd to insinuate that I am against free discussion. Free discussion breaks down when things go off topic. The topic started as jackets, not backplates or "I need something to hold a tank on my back and I am tired of using bailing wire and a garbage bag".

I see this same thing going on in the forum for fins. Nearly every question about a specific fin gets a reply to buy some Jetfin variant and a pair of spring straps.

After a while the whole thing turns into a useless pile of repetition about DIR style (or DIR in part) gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom