Jacket vs Back Inflate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A jacket is like a vest (like a suit vest). It fully surrounds the diver with an air envelope. A back inflate BC is not any different than a wing in most cases they are the so called wings but there are also some back inflate units that have a vest like attachment to the diver but the air envelope is only in the back or they may have a wide fabric belt and harness arrangement. A true modern BP and wing uses 2 inch nylon webbing just like in the old days mounted on a back plate of plastic, aluminum or stainless steel. The air envelope, often circular or donut shaped in plan view, attaches to the back plate. This type of arrangement goes way back. Older wing style BCs tended to be larger than modern wings and where horseshoe shaped rather than circular and most used plastic contour type backplates. I probably did not fully describe the differences but at least I tried.
No, depending on the person vest type BCs can be very comfortable and function quite well. I don't like them because I don't like the way many make me swim feet down and I don't like having anything in front of me either, however, my wife loves a jacket. There is nothing wrong with a jacket if that is what you like, SeaQuest and ScubaPro are good brands I think. N

IMHO the main diff between a back inflate and a true bp and wing is that in a back inflate the air bladder is permanently attached to the harness and there is no changing it out. The air just goes to the back versus "around" you as it does in a full vest style.
A bp and wing is just that....two parts. There is the bp...back plate....and there is the wing. Of course there is some kind of harness....maybe a STA....but they are all seperate and distinct parts.

RICHinNC:
IMHO the main diff between a back inflate and a true bp and wing is that in a back inflate the air bladder is permanently attached to the harness and there is no changing it out.

Did you mean, "except for Zeagle?"

So what are the advantages of having a back plate / wing? Everyone seems to be harping about them but I dont quite get why its better. Upgradability? For Rec & Tec? Cheers.

pilot81:
So what are the advantages of having a back plate / wing?

Well now you've done it. One advantage, for me, is the generic-ness of it. I love that.

. . . and heeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeee we go !!!!

The Kraken:
. . . and heeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeee we go !!!!
Yep........It's on again :D

evad:
Did you mean, "except for Zeagle?"

Just to confuse things even more - don’t forget the non-backplate harness/wing type BC such as Dive Rite’s Transpac or Scubapro’s S-Tek. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom