James Cameron's first footage from the deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited:
I agree, and applaud Cameron's efforts. I'd like to think that I had comparable assets I would be doing something similar. Great links, thanks.

What good fortune (maybe literally!) to be in the position of witnessing such things.... only in my dreams! I'm totally envious but thanks to the modern world I can sit on my couch and still enjoy it!! Thanks for sharing the links!

"Sometimes the ocean gives you a gift, and sometimes it doesn't." I think that resonates with everybody here!

I agree with Soapy Bubbles... even if I had Cameron's resources, I doubt I would use them to build a submersible and descend that deep (I'm a pretty "shallow" guy these days). I applaud Cameron's effort and look forward to watching the highlights from his footage. I do what I can with my limited resources... like all my educational outreach efforts about the ocean and its ecosystems. Much less costly!

As an ex-submariner in the Navy I've been down fairly deep compared to most people, but Cameron went CRAZY deep. I can't even imagine those pressures at that depth. Our hulls use to shrink close to a foot in diameter when we went to our full depth. Of course his is a mini-sub, so doesn't face the same issue's, but still. Gives me the willies thinking about it, though I would love to do it.

But still...35,000 feet down. That is as far down as an typical passenger plane fly's up in the air.

Yes it is amazing yet after watching that clip I have to ask. Out of all the effort, is that it?

Considering he spent 3 hours down there, no thats not it..
He also used 2 hours and 36 minutes to GET there and about 70 minutes back up.

1100ish ATA worth of pressure and 11000ish meters of water - definetly would do something to your air usage and tank pressure on scuba, lol.
Not to mention the fact that youd be crushed dead ofc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom