Jeep Tours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fistgar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Since it's "pick your brain Monday" I figured that I'd hop onto the bandwagon and ask my question for you seasoned Cozumel veterans :wink:

A group of 5 of us will be in Cozumel next month and one of the activities that piqued my interested was a guided jeep tour. I'd read a post or two mentioning how this was a better option than renting your own vehicle and getting lost, stuck, wrecked, or abducted by aliens. Have any of you hired a guided jeep tour and if so, what did you like or dislike about it?

I've visited a few sites that have a tour with a "schedule" for the cruise ships but I'm starting to look more for something of a guided (with the tour guide doing the driving) "go where I wanna go when I want to go" tour and something preferably with corona's in the back seat! :D Does this exist?

Anyhow, another question would obviously be: Where to go? I'm definitely interested in the east side of the island!

Last edited:
Much better to rent your own and go on your schedule. Pretty hard to get lost, island is not that big :D Only one road leads to the east side, go until you can't go anymore then turn around and come back. Jeep rental companies will provide you with a map as well. Lots of interesting scenery on the east side, definitely do not miss it. Can't recommend the Coronas in the back seat though as drinking and driving is not a good mix. (ok there is my nod to safety and legal disclaimer). There are plenty of places along the way to stop and have a cold drink or bite to eat.

I guess I could have clarified about the guided tour to include the guide driving and not our corona and tequila drinking group :wink:

I guess I could have clarified about the guided tour to include the guide driving and not our corona and tequila drinking group :wink:
You can still edit your original post so readers will start with that info. :D

My wife and I did that on our last trip. Walked up to a cabbie in one of the lines outside our hotel and asked for a rate to go around the island. The driver was very courteous, took us to the places we wanted to see and stop at, and we sat in the back and took it all in. We usually bought the driver a soda at each of the bars we stopped at, out of courtesy.

Jeeps and Cozumel......:cool2: So please take this with a Block of Salt...... Rumor has it that some of the jeeps rented on Cozumel are not four wheel drive. If you read the fine print, the insurance ends, where the sand begins, another words, no pavement, no insurance. So if you think you have four wheel drive, head north where the road ends, get stuck in the sand, put it in four wheel drive, "which you don't have" and can't get out of the sand you're looking at about a $300+ tow charge....... :wink: I'm just sayin.......:scared:

Some of the 4xs have the front drive shaft removed, but some only disconnect the transfer case by unpluging the electronics to it. Next time see if you can get one of those. Jus sayin... Nod Wink smiley face blinky

None of the rental jeeps are really 4 wheel drive. It is just the vicarious thrill that some get from driving a jeep. But, beware, thrill or not, don't go off the paved road as it will really get expensive. A much better choice is a VW or smaller, but don't miss the east side, OR HEAVEN FORBID get a moped!

Dave Dillehay

Rent a van and go where you want for as long as you want. Cost is about the same as a rent a car without the hassle of driving.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/451492-beech-bar-crawl-3-22-13-a.html
Set the price with the driver before you get in. Enjoy!
Edit: We've rented a van the last three years on our annual spring trip. We meet the driver after some lunch at La Condella, right out in front, then go crawling the east side.

Last edited:
Rent a van and go where you want for as long as you want. Cost is about the same as a rent a car without the hassle of driving.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/451492-beech-bar-crawl-3-22-13-a.html
Set the price with the driver before you get in. Enjoy!
Edit: We've rented a van the last three years on our annual spring trip. We meet the driver after some lunch at La Condella, right out in front, then go crawling the east side.

This sounds almost exactly like what I'm looking to do! Paying somebody to drive us around while we drink corona's and tequila while visiting places off the beaten path.

BTW... I noticed in your first picture that there was a big sign saying "NUDE BEACH" :banana::D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom