Jet Fins in Warm recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RHungENT

Registered
Reaction score
From what I read, people love SP Jet fins...so I will likely get these, but then someone mentioned about it being too foot heavy and messing up their trim. I typically dive in tropical warm recreational water wearing a 3mm wetsuit/boots. I now have SP twin jets (they float in the water) and was wondering if Jet Fins might make staying horizontal more difficult. [I am hoping that with my inexperience, I won't notice a difference]

So my question is..do any DIR divers have any "problems" with Jet fins in warm water recreation diving?

Richard

p.s. thanks for all the great DIR responses

I have a pair of SP Jets and I find that my feet tend to be heavy. (I think that's natural anyways, I have a lot of muscle tone in my legs.) I do dive with a 3mm Henderson and as I stated, my feet are a little heavy but, once I add just a touch of air to my wing and lean forward to get the air to the back of the wing, it "helps" to keep my feet up. I'm sure with more diving and time underwater, it'll get better.

Michael

RHungENT:
From what I read, people love SP Jet fins...so I will likely get these, but then someone mentioned about it being too foot heavy and messing up their trim. I typically dive in tropical warm recreational water wearing a 3mm wetsuit/boots. I now have SP twin jets (they float in the water) and was wondering if Jet Fins might make staying horizontal more difficult. [I am hoping that with my inexperience, I won't notice a difference]

So my question is..do any DIR divers have any "problems" with Jet fins in warm water recreation diving?

Richard

p.s. thanks for all the great DIR responses
I have the same issues on my tropical trips, when I'm using a 3 mm wetsuit instead of a drysuit ... not to mention that the Jets are heavy and luggage weight restrictions make a lighter fin desirable for travel. Someone has suggested the OMS Slipstreams as a "Jet clone" alternative, since they're made from a lighter weight plastic instead of rubber. A friend just purchased a pair and I hope to be able to try them out this upcoming week-end.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have never dived in warm water, so I can't answer that question, but I know a lot of divers who use the jet fins in warm water without any problem. If the jets are too heavy, then you could try the OMS Slipstream fins. They look exactly like the jets and are much lighter. I have only used them once in the pool, so I don't know which is better, but if I wanted a lighter fin, then that is probably what I would get.

they would probably change your trim some from floating fins,but its no big deal,you just have to adjust your trim some,i doubt it would change much but i have never used anything else but jets or turtles,still using a set of jets i bought in 1979 wished everything else lasted that long.

i used jets on my one warm water trip (bonaire). yeah, they were a bit heavy for the 3mm suit. i compensated fine, but i'll probably look at the oms fins in the future. i believe the dr fins are also lighter, just not the same shape as the jets/slipstreams. if anyone has firsthand experience with these 'lighter' fins for tropical diving, please post.

I'm foot heavy in any suit I wear with XL Jets. I need to find a way to move some wt higher up on me to balance it out. A heavier plate would help.

I used Slipstreams in warm water on my recent trip to Maui-they trimmed out great (there is a pic in my profile, forgive the dangly light cord). That being said, I haven't used Jets in warm water, just locally diving dry. I'd agree that subtle body positioning changes can probably compensate, but the Slipstreams were about neutral, and with 3 mm booties, my feet were slightly positive, more similar to diving dry.

I use L Jets with a 3 mil suit in warm water, and I've never had any problem with being feet heavy. If anything, I tend to get a little feet-light when the Al80 gets close to empty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom