Jet Fins in Warm recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
I have the same issues on my tropical trips, when I'm using a 3 mm wetsuit instead of a drysuit ... not to mention that the Jets are heavy and luggage weight restrictions make a lighter fin desirable for travel. Someone has suggested the OMS Slipstreams as a "Jet clone" alternative, since they're made from a lighter weight plastic instead of rubber. A friend just purchased a pair and I hope to be able to try them out this upcoming week-end.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Be sure to post your impressions.

With my dry suit I've moved to Turtles and absolutely wish I'd done it earlier. But they are too big and heavy for warm water wet suits. Maybe Slipstreams will be the answer.

I use XL jets for my DS and L jets for my wetsuit. I may seem extravagant but the silt and enviroment doesen´t care if the water is warm or cold so I use the fin that works best for me.

I´ve heard a lot of people talk about heavy feet in a wetsuit but I´ve either learned to compensate for it without noticing or just didn´t have the problem in the first place...

I use OMS slipstreams since I am leg heavy and they work great. They are very stiff so is a workout sometimes.

Jets are only slightly negative, they'll sink fairly slowly in salt water. They do not pull your feet down.

Matt, Not only are split fins not DIR, but more important to the original question, Twin Jets are not Jets.

Yeah, Jets are just heavy enough to ensure that, if you drop or lose one, you'll have to go down to the bottom and look for it :)

I can catch them long before they reach the bottom. They don't sink all that fast.

I know in fresh water, they seem to sink with no problem but, I'm sure in salt water they'd sink slower. I think that'd help my trim out a lot too. :)

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom