Jew Fish Shooting on Thunderbolt Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but there is pretty good pressure exerted....

They release when you stick a finger in their gills.

So, your saying is that you deal w/ a Goliath Grouper's the same way you deal with say, Larry, Shemp, Curly and Moe.... :D

-Tim

The spearo's I know would never do anything like this...

The person that posted this has not responded and has only 4 posts..... interesting

What would you do in that situation?

:gator::gun::gator::gun:

There are a couple a ways to prevent that problem depending on your dive profile, the same techniques used spearfishing in sharky waters would also apply here.

1. floatlines
2. carter (lift) bags
3. combination floatline/carter bag

If you must carry a catchbag (in spearfishing this is known as a sea-anchor) a quick clip (also known as branch clip or longline clip) would be advisable in any circumstance.

:cheers: Regards,
Chris

So killing a 35-40 pounds probably very old snapper is fine with you but not a juvenile grouper.
Don't you think they wanted to stone-it?

Sorry if that bothers you but that fish fed our entire party for the entire trip and we didn't take any others the whole time we were down there. So yes it was fine with me.

It wasn't just a juvenile grouper if you read the post. It's possible they wanted to stone it, but they why would they gut it and leave it if that was the case?

YOu are an COMPLETE Idiot to TIE off your catch bag to YOU anyway. After a Nurse shark helped herself to one of my Divers catch tied to him through the bag against his hip I took note of this and NEVER tied off to a bag full of Yummies since.

I have pushed Groupers the size of Volkswagons around in wreck before (which is a molestation and could have been fined for) but never had to stab, or hit one. They are more like underwater wild cows and can be pushed around. IF you think this is a small task you have never dealt with a full grown Wild (IE NOT TAME) cow. 1200# goes pretty much where it wants to you just kinda annoy it to go another direction unless it wants to just run through you.

If you are shooting/ stabbing Jewfish you are a scared little nancy boy jerk and should take up a sport like Tennis... at least you will be wearing the cute little skirt that fits you so well.

PS- I am a big fan of spearo's I love to follow them around with lemon pepper and a wedge of lime. However when you start shooting nurse sharks, jewfish and manatees you suck and should wear a misdemeanor charge (or a beating) for it.

Do I condone a beating for shooting a protected fish... mmm... yes. It is kinda like a spanking for a grown up...

It was not too bad, not bad enough to make me let go of the plastic bag full of bait that started the problem (this was a long time ago, out in front of Casa Bertmar, back when feeding fish was common).

It wasn't just a juvenile grouper if you read the post. It's possible they wanted to stone it, but they why would they gut it and leave it if that was the case?

I'm sorry apparently it was a baby Goliath Grouper. This is very different than a juvenile.

However when you start shooting nurse sharks, jewfish and manatees you suck and should wear a misdemeanor charge (or a beating) for it.

Do I condone a beating for shooting a protected fish... mmm... yes. It is kinda like a spanking for a grown up...

I'm not a Deputy Sheriff but isn't it against the law to give somebody an unprovoked beating.
I can see the headline now "Treasure Coast Deputy Sheriff shot while trying to give unlawful spearfisherman a spanking." (Joke)

Like I said I don't agree with harming a Goliath Grouper in any way. I just hate when everybody likes to comment how they would have cut their hoses or sunk their boat etc...
In such a situation you should try to get their FL numbers and call the appropriate law enforcement agency. Let's leave the spanking to them.

I am going spearfishing in the morning and I promise not to shoot any Goliath Groupers. I may take a picture of a few though.

On July 26th myself and my girlfriend were diving the Thunderbolt, when we witnessed a diver shoot the baby Goliath Grouper (Jew Fish), and then stab it 3-4 times with his knife, and leave it behind. I couldnt do anything to the diver (cut his HP hose, drop his weights) to teach him a lesson as his 3 buddies were watching with loaded spear guns. By the time we got back to our boat, they had sped off.
What the hell is wrong with people these days???? Cant you just enjoy the wreck, shoot what your allowed to, and leave. These people clearly had no life, and no care about the ocean.

Too bad you didn't have a camera. We could start a "Poachers and Morons Gallery" thread and you could post the picture.

These guys don't come from other planets and with over 100,000 members, somebody here knows them.

Terry

I'm sorry apparently it was a baby Goliath Grouper. This is very different than a juvenile.

I am not sure why you are picking me out of the group but my point was a young grouper and a young goliath are not the same thing. You chastised me for taking a fish that I ate because it was older than gutting and leaving a young protected species:shakehead:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom