Jump to lines on threads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nomaster

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is there a way to do this besides
going to viewing my last post?
If not, is it possible to install a feature
that allows us to jump to a page/line in
a forum, like the feature that allows us
to Jump to forums?

Tom

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but it sounds like you are trying to jump within a forum... considering that we have over 300 forums which already makes the jump list very, very long adding multiple categories per forum would pretty much crash your browser. Perhaps you had something else in mind?

Tech Admin:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean but it sounds like you are trying to jump within a forum... considering that we have over 300 forums which already makes the jump list very, very long adding multiple categories per forum would pretty much crash your browser. Perhaps you had something else in mind?
I'm not techie enough to be sure of myself here, but a subroutine might allow us to go from post number one in a forum to post number 607 in a forum of say a thousand posts rather than having to move two or three pages at a time (20 - 30 posts) at a time.

Tom

Having a scrolling list of every forum broken up into blocks of 100 threads would mean 7,000 items in the drop down list... I don't think anyone can scroll 7,000 items. I am of course open to other ideas for how to do this!

Tech Admin:
Having a scrolling list of every forum broken up into blocks of 100 threads would mean 7,000 items in the drop down list... I don't think anyone can scroll 7,000 items. I am of course open to other ideas for how to do this!
Thanks, I hadn't realized that it would require a drop down list, I thought it was just a go to page... thing.
And I hadn't made the error I thought I had in the above post.

Tom

TA,
I -think- what he's referring to is the page navigation on forums, threads and searches.

As it is now, we get 2 pages forward, and two pages back. So if you are in a forum that has 93 pages of threads, and you want to get to page 50...
"page 3... page 5... page 7... page 9...."

I think I understood it as Spectre said as well.

A couple of work-arounds I use.....

I set my options for 40 posts per page (the max allowed), so there are fewer pages.

If it's a long thread, I open the thread, then hit the "View First Unread" button to jump to wherever the thread started up since the last time I logged off.

If I want to go to page 50 of 93.... well.... I'm hosed and need to scroll 2 pages at a time....

Actually... perhaps I should mention this in it's own thread.. but it's sort of relevant.

I don't know it's by nature of the custom search settings I have setup [show by post rather than thread, etc...], but "Search this Thread" doesn't work. It doesn't limit the search to just the thread. e.g. it appears to do the same thing as a normal search.

Snowbear:
If I want to go to page 50 of 93.... well.... I'm hosed and need to scroll 2 pages at a time....

Sometimes it takes a little bit of coffee to get the brain geared up.

Ok. If you are wanting to jump to a specific page of threads in a forum; you may have to go to the second page after going to the forum... then look at the URL on your browser toolbar. e.g:

/forumdisplay.php?f=54&page=2&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=15&daysprune=-1

Note the 'page=2' part.

If you desire page 50. Change that page=2 to page=50, hit return and viola!

Likewise for threads.. if you go to, for example, the "thank heavens for padi" thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t33187-thank-heavens-for-padi.html

Click to go to the second page:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=33187&page=2&pp=40

And then tweak that "page=2" to be whatever page you want to go to.

:wink:

-Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom