JUNE 2010 in Cozumel!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the water temp usually like in Cozumel mid-June?

I'm trying to figure out if I want to buy a lycra skin, a 1mm full or what. :idk:

I'm big (6'2", 260) and insulated enough that I've been OK with just trunks and a rash guard for a couple of dives at a time in 78-80 degree water, like in Coz this past March 12. I'm just not sure that I'll be good to go without any thermal protection for over 5 straight days of diving.

What's the water temp usually like in Cozumel mid-June?

I'm trying to figure out if I want to buy a lycra skin, a 1mm full or what. :idk:

I'm big (6'2", 260) and insulated enough that I've been OK with just trunks and a rash guard for a couple of dives at a time in 78-80 degree water, like in Coz this past March 12. I'm just not sure that I'll be good to go without any thermal protection for over 5 straight days of diving.

It usually comes down to personal preference - since some people get cold easily, others do not. I looked at a few reviews from early June last year and it seems temps were running around 83. If you're concerned, it's better to have a bit of thermal protection. If it gets too warm, you just let a bit of water in to cool off. If cold's not a real issue you might want a skin anyway due to the sea lice. I'm pretty sensitive to the little buggers and they tend to be more prevalent in May & June ... I always seem to get the crap bit out of me! :shocked2:Of course the DH ends up with nary a bite, so if you're like him, you don't have to worry!

For us last June: Susan full 3 mil as she get cold. Me, commando.... I did get a cool leg rash. Think it was hydroids. Didn't itch or hurt, just looked bad.

With repeated daily dives over several days I would suggest a 1-2mm suit or shorty. Repeated dives can really lower your body temp and cause a chill after a couple of days of diving. I usually wear no thermal protection in 80+ water for just a few dives, but diving 5-7 days can have a stronger effect so I like the extra warmth. Being warmer and more comfortable will help reduce air consumption.

Diver Kat....Have dove Coz for years and luckily haven't run into sea lice yet..just wondered how you treat it so I can take something with me to have on hand for the grandkids.

Diver Kat....Have dove Coz for years and luckily haven't run into sea lice yet..just wondered how you treat it so I can take something with me to have on hand for the grandkids.

Preventative - use Safe Sea lotion - my problem, I forget to use it till it's too late!
Treatment - I use Benadryl spray or Benadryl gel on the bites. Both seem to help tone down the itching. The spray is easier, but the gel forms a thicker layer.

I seem to be either highly allergic or the little buggers just like me more than most. The DH may only get a bite or two while I get tons. His will also go away pretty quick and mine will last for weeks. Maybe he grandkids will take after you and be lucky with no bites!!

I'm really allergic, too. Got popped by a box jelly a few years ago. Ever since, I look like I have pox, unless I cover myself with hydrocortizone as soon as I get out of the water.
Haven't tried Sea Safe...

Looks like I am going to show up in CZM middle to end of June! Yay! Dates coming soon. Diving with Aldora.

Are sea lice a problem in the summer? We're going in August. Usually go in March.

I'm taking a big group down to Coz June 20th-28th. Staying @ Fiesta Americana and diving with Dive House.... (this'll be my 4th trip there)

WooHoo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom