June 29th Is anyone on Roatan right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks marcoa. It is good to hear what is going on there on the island rather than depending on foreign news agencies.

this whole thing sorta reminds me of the coup in Fiji a few years ago. Not much really happened, a few more soldiers on the streets were reported by visitors, yet the tourism industry took a huge hit and is still trying to recover from all the "warnings" not to visit.

I hope everything can be resolved soon.

robin:D

If all is calm and peaceful in the streets of Honduras and a majority of Hondurans support the coup government led by Micheletti, then why does martial law need to be imposed and individual rights suspended?

These political questions are good, but this line of discussion has been moved to "the pub". Sometimes the heated nature of such imponderables leads to off topic discussions.

No, you're the only one here dwelling on politics.

So much for honesty.

This sovereign nation has upheld its constitution and is now receiving political repercussions for it. Perhaps you can not only look into it deeper yourself, but also contact your state representatives and senators as well.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Due to the topical nature of this thread, I'm going to leave it here for now. If however, this thread's focus moves in a global political nature, I will move it to the pub.

Link to the Political Thread in the Pub.

The Pub is a Opt-in forum. To become a Regular Member of the Pub, Click Quick Links and select Group Preferences or

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/profile.php?do=editusergroups

I would come back in a split second with no worries or hesitations.... wish I could, right.

The diving is still great, the country is safe, and I hope the rest of the world opens its eyes to what has actually occurred here.

That depends on your definition of safe. Anyplace where someone could assault a tourist, take his $2000 camera, destroy it because they did not like what he was doing, and have no fear of prosecution because it would be too much trouble for the authorities, is not a safe place.

You did tell me that could happen, or have you forgotten?

There is no doubt that things on Roatan are pretty much normal. Even the state department acknowledges that things are normal in most of Honduras. That doesn't change the fact that 50% of the Honduran people and all of the Organization of American States thinks something has gone terribly wrong. No one knows where this is going to go and what consequences it may bring to Honduras, Roatan, Utila or even Central America. This has never been the most stable place on the continent.

While some people on this board and contributing to this forum are extremely knowledgeable, many have an incredible bias that Roatan is impervious to problems. It just ain't so. There are many problems every day that just don't get reported. The corruption if unbelievable and many dive operators contribute to it by not stepping up. None of this means it's unsafe, it just means you should consider your tolerance for this type of thing. I can guarantee you don't want to get put in a Roatan jail. It is not pretty. Of course, if you were registered with the state department, at least they'd figure it out sooner or later even though some think it's a total waste of time. If you ever get in trouble in Roatan or any other foreign country, don't hesitate to call the American Embassy if you can. They are extremely helpful.

The airlines are already in trouble and certainly don't want to discourage travelers. Many dive operations are really hurting from the economy and are highly unlikely to report any kind of troubles.

Let's keep up the honest debate and weigh all the opinions which is exactly what all the comments are.

Hi,

We are due to arrive on Saturday July 4th into Roatan. Is anyone on the island right now? As interested as we are in the political situation, we are also interested in how the island is doing and flights etc.

One of us is coming on CO via Houston direct into Roatan. Some of us are coming on TACA via El Salvador direct into Roatan. (This flight is NOT stopping in San Pedro Sula and is NOT code shared with Islena)

Suggestions, comments, information???

Thanks in advance. Lydia

Hmmm. seem to me that Lydia is asking about the political situation. Seems to be she is asking for suggestions, comments and information. Hmmm?

Hmmm. seem to me that Lydia is asking about the political situation. Seems to be she is asking for suggestions, comments and information. Hmmm?

Sorry, I know some of this gets confusing but you might want to re read the first line of her post.
If your just going to reply to me feel free to do so in a PM so as not to screw thread up anymore than it already is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom