June Roll Call?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

June 6-9 Sunscape Sabor or Ibeostar
June 9-16 El CID Beibca or Scuba Mau
June 16-20 Talum w Cenote Experience

Looks like I'm going w Pepe when I'm staying at Coral Princess. Some TAXI driver prices are deceitful! I took a taxi from El CID to Coral and it cost me $8 USD, I gave him $10 and he was happy.
I apparently forgot something at El CID and the new taxi driver charged me $25 round trip. He only waited 2 mins, ok maybe 3 mins! I don’t like to be taken especially when I’m a girl. I think I welcome Uber at least I know what I’m paying and I’m track!
Also, I was in downtown and flag at least 6 Taxi at 9:45pm and finally got one that wanted work! I was little frustrated and felt scared so we walked to the intersection and gas ⛽️ station. I’m glad that the Taxi driver had his mom in the passager seat or we probably wouldn’t be able to get home!

How have the currents and conditions been? Heading to czm in 4 days

It's been cloudy & raining for the last 4-5 days, so it's a bit cool on the surface intervals... but we haven't lost any dives. I'm told the sun will come back out one of these days. =)

Currents have generally been on the strong side (but I haven't been in June before, so I don't know if this is normal?). We practically flew through Cedral earlier today.

(I also didn't put myself on the roll call... arrived on the 10th, and here till the 23rd. Staying in an airbnb, diving with Tres Pelicanos, and might do a cenotes day on Thursday or Friday)

Looks like I'm going w Pepe when I'm staying at Coral Princess. Some TAXI driver prices are deceitful! I took a taxi from El CID to Coral and it cost me $8 USD, I gave him $10 and he was happy.
I apparently forgot something at El CID and the new taxi driver charged me $25 round trip. He only waited 2 mins, ok maybe 3 mins! I don’t like to be taken especially when I’m a girl. I think I welcome Uber at least I know what I’m paying and I’m track!
Also, I was in downtown and flag at least 6 Taxi at 9:45pm and finally got one that wanted work! I was little frustrated and felt scared so we walked to the intersection and gas ⛽️ station. I’m glad that the Taxi driver had his mom in the passager seat or we probably wouldn’t be able to get home!

I don't think your gender has anything to do with being ripped off by a taxi driver. They're equal opportunists.

Do your research, learn what the correct fare is.
Arrive at your destination
Get out, give the driver the correct fare.
Thank him/her.
Walk away.

There are many reasons, in my opinion, to use pesos when possible while in Mexico. (I know, what a concept). The situation that you've described, and the solution that I've suggested illustrate two of the reasons.

I don't think your gender has anything to do with being ripped off by a taxi driver. They're equal opportunists.

Do your research, learn what the correct fare is.
Arrive at your destination
Get out, give the driver the correct fare.
Thank him/her.
Walk away.

There are many reasons, in my opinion, to use pesos when possible while in Mexico. (I know, what a concept). The situation that you've described, and the solution that I've suggested illustrate two of the reasons.

The best way to make sure what fare you are going to pay is to simply ask before you get in the cab. The drama that may surround just paying what you think is the correct fare and walking away is unnessary and easily avoidabe.

The best way to make sure what fare you are going to pay is to simply ask before you get in the cab. The drama that may surround just paying what you think is the correct fare and walking away is unnessary and easily avoidabe.

Know what the correct fare is.
Pay it.
No drama.

There is a really blurry picture of the fare rate cards that all the taxis have at the very bottom of one of the stickied posts in the Cozumel forum (you can ask a taxista for it, but they usually "can't find it"). The most important one for most of us is that anywhere in Centro to either Caleta or FONATUR is 110 pesos. The cab drivers can offer you whatever exchange rate they want, so 110 pesos may be $5.50 (which it should be), but it is more likely to be $8 or $10. Like others have said, have exact change at the ready, hand it over and just walk away. Even if you just saw somebody hand them cash, that stuff evaporates before you can ask for change. I had to ask for change my first day after a night dive and got charged an extra 30 pesos because my hotel was apparently not in this guy's version of centro after 9 pm (it very much is at all times). I went to a bank the next day and exchanged a couple 500s for smaller bills, then set aside 110 pesos exactly for each cab ride to and from the marina for the rest of the week. It's also 102 pesos from Centro to the airport.

The currents vary depending on where you are. Both at night and during the day, there was almost nothing at Paradise, but Cedral Shallows was ripping a couple weeks ago. Moving sidewalk, conveyor belt, Wizard of Oz tornado, whatever you want to call it. Santa Rosa had a tiny bit of a downward push on the wall in a few spots, but was a pretty gentle current most of the way, as were most of the sites I was on.

I'll just add that there is no call to be preemptively rude. Most of these guys are just trying to make a living and are not out to screw anyone.

Paying in pesos is by far the best protection from the drama that can happen when you hand a cab driver a US$10 bill for a 85 peso ride. Let's see, today's exchange rate is what? Multiplying number of dollars times that is what? Your change should be what? Maybe you have a calculator brain, but most people don't. I suspect that the 10:1 "taxi exchange rate" that lasted so long had at least as much to do with making the math on the side of the road simple as it did with cab drivers trying to fleece tourists.

Know what the correct fare is.
Pay it.
No drama.
The correct fair is in pesos though. I don't believe can drivers are required to give any specific exchange rate, so what they take in dollars is up to them, not you. It is an inconvienence to take dollars, a service they offer passengers. So a passenger can't just decide "this is correct" if they aren't offering pesos.

The correct fair is in pesos though. I don't believe can drivers are required to give any specific exchange rate, so what they take in dollars is up to them, not you. It is an inconvienence to take dollars, a service they offer passengers. So a passenger can't just decide "this is correct" if they aren't offering pesos.

Please re-read the last paragraph of my post # 64 above.
Although I do appreciate your lesson.

Why would anyone not pay with pesos?
Who said anything about a correct USD remittance?

Back
Top Bottom