Jupiter area dive recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for Pompano operations, I like Pompano Dive Center the most. They put a DM guide in the water on every dive. Mostly because I use insta-buddies a lot and being paired with someone who can't even set up their own gear, isn't that fun, lol.

.... I'm a new diver, about 10 dives to date, only OW certified so far........

....I plan on using my own tanks,....... I have HP100 & HP120 steel tanks......

I'm seriously impressed with the equipment you've acquired and only having 10 dives. Congrats !!

I'm seriously impressed with the equipment you've acquired and only having 10 dives. Congrats !!

Thank you!

Yeah, I got a good deal on them, $350 for the pair, Hydro's done in 2015 and they were even filled already. I've been fortunate on acquiring my equipment. Did a lot of research, reading reviews and ratings on what's good, what's bad and was real selective in what I purchased. Able to get several things via Craigslist & Ebay and saved a bunch.

Lucked up on my BC, $550 new, got it for $140, was told it was used once and I believe it. Looked brand new. Did buy my regs, fins, & wetsuits brand new, but most everything else is used, albeit, slightly used.

I might have $1500 in everything, including the cost of my OW class.

Oh, I will be doing several dives in the Pompano area for sure, also will be doing some beach dives too.
I was just wondering about the Jupiter area because I'm only certified to 60 ft & no nitrox yet and didn't know if there dives there that fit into that shallower dive profile. I've heard the Jupiter area is great for seeing larger sea life, which is something I want to do.
If you want to see sharks then, JDC is a good choice for a dive op. You can incorporate your nitrox cert into your planned diving plans. My son did his nitrox cert with JDC, he finished the online stuff before we headed to Jupiter, and on the day of our dives we arrived a little early where he did the test review and analyzed a tank. It was quick and easy.

Another thing about diving palm beach area, it will be all drift diving and so you will want to purchase a SMB as it will be required on any charter you go on in the area. With that in mind, you will want to consider going with a dive shop or guide that can put someone in the water with you to teach you how to deploy it as it can be tricky and take you for a ride to the surface if you aren't careful.

Last edited:
The last time we dived with JDC they required an SMB not necessarily a DSMB. The guide pulled the flag/float and we surfaced around the float. On one dive we did surface separate from the group (buddy ran through air a bit quickly) and we surfaced carefully and inflated our SMB at the surface. The boat was following bubbles and picked us right up. I'm not saying you shouldn't deploy a DSMB if you are surfacing away from the group, by all means do so. I'm just saying you can surface safely and inflate your SMB if needed. A DSMB is not mandatory. If you do choose to deploy a DSMB, make sure you are practiced and comfortable doing so. Don't try it for the first time on a deep drift like Jupiter or you may cause yourself problems. YMMV. IMHO.

I keep a SMB & 100' finger spool in my pouch at all times. I have practiced using it in the lake, (35-40' deep), so if they require it, I think I will be ok using it.

..... I'm just saying you can surface safely and inflate your SMB if needed.....

I 100% agree with your post.
But also I shoot my SMB from 30ft even if I'm right next to the DM's flag.

Is it for safety?...not really, the boat capt has my back.
Is it to be seen?... No, I'm next to the DM's flag
So why ?

Because I want to look down on my safety stop and not monitor my depth staring at my computer.
I have my 30 foot line on a stainless bolt with an un-tangle swivel at 15ft so I never have to look at my depth gauge.

I can really enjoy the 3-5 minute stop, hold my smb line/bolt next to my belt buckle, peer downwards, and see the fish that come off the bottom towards the surface. I never have to worry about that dang computer resetting to 3 minutes (gawd I hate that penalty on most comps)

It's the best, most relaxing smile making, 3 - 5 mins of the dive.

Below is my SMB. Get a drop line SMB, See more fish life on your stop.

2colorSMB.jpg

http://www.johnoly.com/gallery/albums/non-fish-dive-stuff/2colorSMB.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom