Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date - June 29, 2022
Site - 1 mile south of Area 51
Current - Barely a trickle north
Viz - 50-70ft, hazy at the safety stop
Temps - 80 degrees, no thermo
No lobster, not even 1, they must all be in the keys for mini-season :troll:

I made it out yesterday for a 3-tanker with JDC. We did Captain Mike's, Bluffs, and Kirles. Viz was awful - green water and lots of "snot" in the water column. Maybe 20 feet. It improved a bit on Kirles (maybe 30 feet). Temps we're around 78 with a slight themocline. I was chilly in a 3 mil w/hood. Almost no current.

Ryan gave me a great drop on one of the sites and I managed a limit of bugs in under 30 minutes, so it's wasn't all bad :). Hoping the the viz improves this week.

Viz was awful - green water and lots of "snot" in the water column. Maybe 20 feet. It improved a bit on Kirles (maybe 30 feet). Temps we're around 78 with a slight themocline.

Wonder where the chilly, green water is coming from? Odd that it improved quite a bit after Ian but yet, without much more rain and runoff, the green, chilly water is back. Working its way over from SWFL perhaps? Our water here is still unsafe and absolutely disgusting. The beaches are still closed, no surprise there. For those with boats who are able to access the beaches, various city, county, and state agencies are making it clear that people should NOT be in the water. The massive storm runoff has gotten all sorts of nasty stuff growing.

Hoping the the viz improves this week.

Pretty Please!!

... managed a limit of bugs in under 30 minutes,
Very nice & congrats on "1 dive & done"
Thanks for the conditions report !!

Very nice & congrats on "1 dive & done"
Thanks for the conditions report !!
Finding them is always the hard part....unless you get dropped right on them. Catching is easy. It was one of those dives where I was looking in my bag to see if I should put one back to grab a bigger one. Fun times!

Wonder where the chilly, green water is coming from? Odd that it improved quite a bit after Ian but yet, without much more rain and runoff, the green, chilly water is back. Working its way over from SWFL perhaps? Our water here is still unsafe and absolutely disgusting. The beaches are still closed, no surprise there. For those with boats who are able to access the beaches, various city, county, and state agencies are making it clear that people should NOT be in the water. The massive storm runoff has gotten all sorts of nasty stuff growing.

Pretty Please!!
I'm not sure where it's coming from, either. There was almost no current. Combined with the poor viz I suspect the current was running south at some point in the 24 hours before. South currents tend to muck up visibility but it's usually not green like that. I also thought I heard that the Army Corps released some water from lake O recently. If there was a south current it's possible that some dirty lake O water made it's way from the St. Lucie inlet down to Jupiter. That's just a guess, though.

I'm not sure where it's coming from, either. There was almost no current. Combined with the poor viz I suspect the current was running south at some point in the 24 hours before. South currents tend to muck up visibility but it's usually not green like that. I also thought I heard that the Army Corps released some water from lake O recently. If there was a south current it's possible that some dirty lake O water made it's way from the St. Lucie inlet down to Jupiter. That's just a guess, though.

Good theory but I don't believe the ACOE has been releasing any water east. My guess would be a combination of continued freshwater runoff from Ian working its way out to sea and "possibly" mucky water from SWFL getting caught up in the FL current and brought along for the ride. The increased freshwater runoff still working its way out to sea may also be messing up the currents a bit? Pure speculation by a non-scientist.

I also thought I heard that the Army Corps released some water from lake O recently. If there was a south current it's possible that some dirty lake O water made it's way from the St. Lucie inlet down to Jupiter. That's just a guess, though.
So went to BHB yesterday and was a little surprised at the cold green water, given the lack of rain lately, and the amount of time that has passed since hurricane Ian. So I went looking for a culprit. It is not releases from Lake O. You can see that S80, and possibly S155A would be issues for Palm Beach County. If there is a release there should be a quantity that is underscored. It can be clicked on for further details. You can see S308 close to the lake and upstream of S80 has had a release but only in the past two days, I think there would somewhat of a delay in that recent release being the problem. Anyway, no need to guess what USACOE is doing its alright on the link.

Current Lake Release Schedules

So went to BHB yesterday and was a little surprised at the cold green water, given the lack of rain lately, and the amount of time that has passed since hurricane Ian. So I went looking for a culprit. It is not releases from Lake O. You can see that S80, and possibly S155A would be issues for Palm Beach County. If there is a release there should be a quantity that is underscored. It can be clicked on for further details. You can see S308 close to the lake and upstream of S80 has had a release but only in the past two days, I think there would somewhat of a delay in that recent release being the problem. Anyway, no need to guess what USACOE is doing its alright on the link.

Current Lake Release Schedules
Good intel and thanks for the link!!

A new wrinkle. Elevated levels of bacteria measured at north palm beach beaches. May hint that the poor viz is caused by dirty water that made its way over from SWFL?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom