Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JSD/Kyalami canceled for today (Thursday). Another charter attempted the inlet but turned back. Tomorrow (Friday) looking “iffy” so booked for Saturday.

Didn't notice until I got home
At the end of the trip the Deck Hands are rinsing down the floor/boat. It takes me 2 trips across that floor to grab my tanks, bag, gun & lobsters to carry out to the dirty parking lot. Then I make one last trip across his nice clean boat floor so I can double check I didn't leave anything in the v-berth like boat coat, backpack-oven, or hats. cause I'm slogging my dirty shoes, but most of the time I'll just grab the rinse hose and wash my foot prints away. I try to say sorry, but in the end I'm still the butt-head that's walking across his clean floor.

At the end of the trip the Deck Hands are rinsing down the floor/boat. It takes me 2 trips across that floor to grab my tanks, bag, gun & lobsters to carry out to the dirty parking lot. Then I make one last trip across his nice clean boat floor so I can double check I didn't leave anything in the v-berth like boat coat, backpack-oven, or hats. cause I'm slogging my dirty shoes, but most of the time I'll just grab the rinse hose and wash my foot prints away. I try to say sorry, but in the end I'm still the butt-head that's walking across his clean floor.

With Kyalami it is a bit more chaotic than that. Given that they are birthed behind Square Grouper Tiki Bar, you drop off and pick up your gear in front of the restaurant. They haul it all onto the boat in large carts and then do the reverse after the charter. After a charter, you line up in your cars in front of the restaurant. When it is your turn, you pull up and they help you load everything, and you drive off. In this instance, I thought I'd put my reg bag in my storage crate like I typically do. I had not. It was separate which is why I forgot it. It is still 100% on me, but in my rush to get out of the way for the next diver to load up, I didn't check as thoroughly as I should have.

I have now developed a new process I will follow when diving with them. Always learning/always improving. After I load up but before I head out, I am going to pull into the plentiful parking lots along the A1A in Jupiter just east of Federal/Highway 1. I will then double check everything before heading out. At that point I can easily go back if I have forgotten something.

I am thankful they were so responsive last night to my texts and confirmed they have my regs. I am also thankful they were happy to agree to rinse them and hang unto them for me for a couple of weeks. Again ... not their problem but they took ownership to help me resolve my knuckleheadedness. I will certainly remember this kindness when I tip for my next charter because that kind of customer service should be rewarded.

Regarding forgetting things

I only routinely take two things onto the boat, my mesh backpack with all my scuba gear in it and a regular backpack with everything else in it. Years ago, I started packing and unpacking both of these in the same way/order each time. That habit has made it very difficult for me to forget something important at home before the dives or on the boat before heading home. The only common item that does not fit in my backpack is my boat coat. I take the boat coat on many dives, even when it may be unlikely that I will need it. I have forgotten that I had it with me a couple of times when it was warm and sunny and left it on the boat. I have my name and mobile phone number prominently written in Sharpie on the neck label. The few times I have left it, I have gotten a call from the crew before I was far away.

I deal with assembling my dive gear on the boat in the same way. I do it in the same way each time. It's been a very long time that I have jumped into the water without my gas being on or without weights in my pockets :)

Regarding forgetting things

I only routinely take two things onto the boat, my mesh backpack with all my scuba gear in it and a regular backpack with everything else in it. Years ago, I started packing and unpacking both of these in the same way/order each time. That habit has made it very difficult for me to forget something important at home before the dives or on the boat before heading home. The only common item that does not fit in my backpack is my boat coat. I take the boat coat on many dives, even when it may be unlikely that I will need it. I have forgotten that I had it with me a couple of times when it was warm and sunny and left it on the boat. I have my name and mobile phone number prominently written in Sharpie on the neck label. The few times I have left it, I have gotten a call from the crew before I was far away.

I deal with assembling my dive gear on the boat in the same way. I do it in the same way each time. It's been a very long time that I have jumped into the water without my gas being on or without weights in my pockets :)

I hear that! I use a similar process along with a detailed checklist on my phone to help me not forget things. This is a perfect example of what happens when you don’t follow your process. I always put my reg bag in my plastic "milk" tote. In this instance, things were incredibly chaotic on the boat, because the divers right next to me brought massive diving bags and a huge plastic tote. Getting all the gear off the boat got rather chaotic and I inadvertently handed the crew my regulator bag separately from my plastic tote. My own mistake but that is how this happened.

On a side topic (huge pet peeve!), I have never seen four divers bring larger bags on a day-boat in my entire years as a diver. They literally had 3 of the massive roller gear bags along with a huge rolling plastic tote. There was enough room in those things for every diver on the boat combined, but it was just for the four people next to me. It took up the entire center section of the forward (covered) section of Kyalami. It was just insane! To add insult to injury, three of those divers were so seasick, they only did one dive.

Hi @Divin'Papaw

Don't get me going, I hate the very large dive bags and tubs that cannot be easily stored under the seats in the allotted space. Nothing like having all free space on the boat taken up by these items. It makes it impossible to walk and increases the chance of falls and accidents, especially in bigger seas. Operators should have these divers leave the oversize containers in their vehicles or on the dock.

I forgot one additional item I often take on the boat. Unless I'm diving with a buddy, I take my pony. It is stored under my seat with my fins and bag.

Would it be helpful for charter boats to either state out right what the maximum size of diver storage can be or better yet, give a standard container for divers to transfer gear into during the boarding process?

A few photos from yesterday.

487BCF89-08E4-4A1C-9DA7-2C8683F52823.jpeg
FE905A12-11A8-4A90-B6B6-CF0FBB004B73.jpeg
A074A46A-C10D-4C14-B389-7ECBB1FED41E.jpeg
1F9D13F9-B402-4E78-8647-4E4FF74923DA.jpeg
C8ECDDA1-0F5F-4B19-AB22-930309188793.jpeg
8554DC17-A6E4-4706-8468-BDA11CCD9734.jpeg
607D3970-5E0C-4C00-9642-52673766E4FE.jpeg
4512BB3D-A5F9-488A-8B08-AC98D752BE9D.jpeg

Would it be helpful for charter boats to either state out right what the maximum size of diver storage can be or better yet, give a standard container for divers to transfer gear into during the boarding process?

Yes, I think charters could do what airports do with providing a dimensional box for overhead baggage limitations that we all have to comply with when flying.

Below is what I use. It’s a RIDGID tool crate, slightly longer than a milk crate. My backplate just fits on top as a “lid” with a little bit of wing overflowing. Fins are bungeed to the outsides (laying flat). When slid under the bench seat of a standard dive boat, the end protrudes out just a bit but it keeps everything tidy. Provides enough space for boots, 3-5mm exposure, analyzer, spare mask, DC, gloves, surf robe, etc, etc.

22.2 in W x 12.2 in D x 9.84 in H

1672357531541.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom