Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A new wrinkle. Elevated levels of bacteria measured at north palm beach beaches. May hint that the poor viz is caused by dirty water that made its way over from SWFL?

Phil Foster Park (BHB) looks especially nasty!

I was planning a trip over this weekend, but I decided to pull the plug on it. Topside conditions are looking pretty nasty this weekend with the system brewing east of the Bahamas. BHB isn't an option either with the lousy viz being reported there along with the health warnings now. I'll be over next month.

Topside conditions are looking pretty nasty this weekend
Yaa 4-6 footers isn't fun. But this past month any days immediately after an east wind blow has been resulting in blue top to bottom viz under 15ft. Even today, Orlando which is in the middle of the state still has flooded waters slowly draining into the rivers that eventually lead to the ocean. And I'm sure your SW locations are even more-so for the next month. It has been extremely fishy and this week the shark divers are reporting a healthy return of the tax collectors on their sites. The big question is will the Whale Sharks return for the annual Governor's Riverwalk wreck sites visit ??

Yaa 4-6 footers isn't fun. But this past month any days immediately after an east wind blow has been resulting in blue top to bottom viz under 15ft. Even today, Orlando which is in the middle of the state still has flooded waters slowly draining into the rivers that eventually lead to the ocean. And I'm sure your SW locations are even more-so for the next month. It has been extremely fishy and this week the shark divers are reporting a healthy return of the tax collectors on their sites. The big question is will the Whale Sharks return for the annual Governor's Riverwalk wreck sites visit ??
John, this is the first I am hearing of the “Whale Sharks annual Governors Riverwalk wreck sites visit. When has this happened in past years?

When has this happened in past years?
For like the last 15 years it has been like clockwork. It's almost always the 3rd week of November and the sighting are usually near the WPB wreck trek. The best year was about 7 yrs ago on a weekend. An entire boat of open water check out students doing their very 1st dive had a whale shark swim circles with them for 30 minutes. Once back on board they asked the captain and crew if they could come back the following weekend to do it again. What a way to start out a new dive life !!

The whale shark(s) are migrating so they don't stick around so you gotta get lucky. But the reports and photos for that one annual sighting are almost always the 3 week of november just before thanksgiving.

For like the last 15 years it has been like clockwork. It's almost always the 3rd week of November and the sighting are usually near the WPB wreck trek. The best year was about 7 yrs ago on a weekend. An entire boat of open water check out students doing their very 1st dive had a whale shark swim circles with them for 30 minutes. Once back on board they asked the captain and crew if they could come back the following weekend to do it again. What a way to start out a new dive life !!

The whale shark(s) are migrating so they don't stick around so you gotta get lucky. But the reports and photos for that one annual sighting are almost always the 3 week of november just before thanksgiving.
There was a sighting last year at shark canyon (northern site for WPB divers, near the southern end of Juno ledge). Divers on Narcosis saw it on November 14. I was in the water on the same day just at a different site (corridor, so not too far away). It’s all about getting lucky but Johnoly is spot on with the time of year.

You can find the video on Narcosis’s Instagram.

I have been diving in SE FL since 2009 and have owned my townhouse since 2011. This is the first I have heard about a yearly visit of Whale Sharks. You learn something new every day, thanks @Johnoly :)

.... This is the first I have heard about a yearly visit....
I strongly encourage all WPB & JUP divers to keep a recurring annual calendar of the times of year when migrations show up in our waters. Like Manatees at BHB & Lemons in Jup in January, GG's in Sept, Running of the bulls in May & so many more. It's so when the captain asks where do you want to go, you can steer the boat to the most exciting stuff. For diver's we live by the words >> Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity at the dive site.

Skipped work to go diving today. WPB south of the inlet, 80-100’. Zero current. 81 degree water. 70 FEET OF VIZ! Excellent day. My buddy and I both got a limit of bugs and he shot a nice 24” red grouper. The clean water is back!

Zero current. 81 degree water. 70 FEET OF VIZ!
Congrats on the catch bag & thanks for the conditions report. I'm dry all next week at the convention center.
See any Sharks that deep ?? It's been too quiet for them with all the bait everywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom