Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on the catch bag & thanks for the conditions report. I'm dry all next week at the convention center.
See any Sharks that deep ?? It's been too quiet for them with all the bait everywhere.

We had two bulls orbiting after the red grouper towards the end of our second dive. Saw a bull on the first dive too. It may have been the same one we saw on the second. Similar size and thick!

I strongly encourage all WPB & JUP divers to keep a recurring annual calendar of the times of year when migrations show up in our waters. Like Manatees at BHB & Lemons in Jup in January, GG's in Sept, Running of the bulls in May & so many more. It's so when the captain asks where do you want to go, you can steer the boat to the most exciting stuff. For diver's we live by the words >> Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity at the dive site.
@Johnoloy, you're halfway through the calendar in May...care to give us your view of the "many more"? I've already started the calendar entries.

..care to give us your view of the "many more"? I've already started the calendar entries.

At every dockside departure we ask the same question. “What do you want to see today? “. There's input from recent sightings, crucial viz & current reports and then the annual calendar. We are really trying to figure out “Where Stuff Is? “, and that's why we do so many blind Exploring Dives that sometimes produce incredible dives. My personal calendar is only 50% accurate (like NOAA). But I keep filling it in with notes so it gets better every year and starts to show clear patterns to plan our dive day and what to look for. My calendar notes for November are not good besides the whale sharks mentioned above, I have first 10 days and the last 10 days of Nov as rough seas and blown out. December is schools of Mobula Rays near shore around the 6th-7th and then the sudden temperature drop to 74degrees about the 13th. January is all about the Lemons with the peak being the weekend after MLK day.

The weather is looking pretty unfavorable for diving this weekend which is a bummer because viz reports have been good this week. Why can't it be windy during the week and nice on the weekends?

Who wants to dive midweek? :oops:

9B6B5104-87C4-406A-B73D-DDA7039B8939.png

Who wants to dive midweek? :oops:
Those number are the GFS. Euro with pressure at 997mb should put Jupiter winds at 50-75.
But the real problem is they opened up the WPB S155 flood gates this morning to drain down and it's at 1300 cu ft per second. There goes our viz!. Lk Okee is at 15.9 ft and at 16.2 they will fully open all the other S-40+ gate numbers up and down the coast and spill to the ocean.
I think you have a better chance at tonite's powerball than predicting when viz will return with this massive Lk Okee dumping.

NOAA just published the GFS wave model for Wed night
24 ft high waves in Jupiter. I'm a wimp at 5ft, lol!!

Nicole22.jpg

Those number are the GFS. Euro with pressure at 997mb should put Jupiter winds at 50-75.
But the real problem is they opened up the WPB S155 flood gates this morning to drain down and it's at 1300 cu ft per second. There goes our viz!. Lk Okee is at 15.9 ft and at 16.2 they will fully open all the other S-40+ gate numbers up and down the coast and spill to the ocean.
I think you have a better chance at tonite's powerball than predicting when viz will return with this massive Lk Okee dumping.

NOAA just published the GFS wave model for Wed night
24 ft high waves in Jupiter. I'm a wimp at 5ft, lol!!

View attachment 752407

Nicole is gonna hurt.

NOAA marine forecast is looking good for Wed. Not sure I've seen bigger. I'd like to see the Boynton Inlet. Maybe someone can take a photo for me
1667852843857.png

A couple pics of Jupiter Inlet and the beach at 5:30ish Wednesday evening. Two good bands passed over us between 8 and 10pm that brought some strong gusts and heavy rain but it’s been relatively uneventful since. I took a drive down US1 just after midnight. Some very minor flooding in the inlet district, and a few downed branches, but not much else. I have power and it looks like most of the town does too. Overall Jupiter is fairing pretty well.

Saturday looks diveable!

Attachments

• F82ED4CA-04A5-489F-A874-5C7668CF1B2E.jpeg
    F82ED4CA-04A5-489F-A874-5C7668CF1B2E.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 28
  • 9F577DE4-E156-433D-AD0E-F66CD084E77C.jpeg
    9F577DE4-E156-433D-AD0E-F66CD084E77C.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 27
  • 4C8BF5A2-2997-4733-8040-351A14DFCEF7.jpeg
    4C8BF5A2-2997-4733-8040-351A14DFCEF7.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 21
Saturday looks diveable!
Marine forecast suggests that the weekend will be okay for boaters, but having seen the ocean getting churned up for most of the past week leads me to anticipate that visibility will be poor. This might not be of major concern for bug hunters who know the lay of the land well, but does not bode well for casual sightseeing divers, photographers, videographers, and folks doing their initial certification dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom