Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marine forecast suggests that the weekend will be okay for boaters, but having seen the ocean getting churned up for most of the past week leads me to anticipate that visibility will be poor. This might not be of major concern for bug hunters who know the lay of the land well, but does not bode well for casual sightseeing divers, photographers, videographers, and folks doing their initial certification dives.
The viz will be not be good, the water will likely be chilly, and who knows which direction the current will be flowing. But, I've been dry for two weeks and going out of town next weekend for the holiday so I plan to try to get out there this weekend.

Lk Okee this morning is at 16.2 ft which is just above the target level for a November date so they are doing releases to the ocean while still getting large inflows from the Kissimmee River. Good news is it looks like the Army Corp of Engineers is slowing down the Lk Okee water (Mud) releases from the S155 gates in West Palm Bch. There are 3 huge gates there and when fully opened in past hurricanes they can flow almost 6000 cubic feet per second { That's about the entire inside air volume of a 3bdrm home, each second). Below you can see the graph of the releases from when they were nervous just before Nicole and then today after Nicole and their comfort level getting better. Next week we have very little current forecasted for the gulf stream and that is what carry's away the dirty water. If they close all the gates by Monday, we might get some good viz middle of next week.

S155 gate.jpg

Talked to a couple local capts. today.

No viz in WPB. Just about everyone in WPB cancelled tomorrows trips already. Many have cancelled all weekend.

No official viz reports for Jupiter. I don’t think any boats made it out to check viz today as the inlet was still nasty. JDC tried but had to turn around. JDC isn’t running tomorrow. It looks like Kyalami is (according to their Instagram) but it will likely be a crap shoot for them tomorrow.

Several reports of 60+ viz in Boynton. I’ll be diving with Starfish in the afternoon tomorrow. Will report what I see.

No viz in WPB. Just about everyone in WPB cancelled tomorrows trips already. Many have cancelled all weekend.

No official viz reports for Jupiter. I don’t think any boats made it out to check viz today as the inlet was still nasty. JDC tried but had to turn around. JDC isn’t running tomorrow. It looks like Kyalami is (according to their Instagram) but it will likely be a crap shoot for them tomorrow.

Several reports of 60+ viz in Boynton. I’ll be diving with Starfish in the afternoon tomorrow. Will report what I see.
Give my regards to Chris and whoever is on the boat, Madi, Julia, Ren. Look forward to your report.

I'll be back, Craig

We are diving Key Largo tomorrow. Water will be flat as a pancake and allegedly, clear. Friday BHB and Saturday boat in PBC cancel by us—seeing the run off…will have to wait. Good luck tomorrow. Curious to know if it has cleared already.

Watching with interest as I’m supposed to be coming across from Clearwater to dive BHB and some PBC charters on Wednesday/Thursday. I haven’t booked any yet, so maybe something further down the coast would be better?

Watching with interest as I’m supposed to be coming across from Clearwater to dive BHB and some PBC charters on Wednesday/Thursday. I haven’t booked any yet, so maybe something further down the coast would be better?

20’ feet of viz in Boynton south of the inlet this afternoon. Blue water but lots of sediment in the water column. 80 degrees. Light N current with a little west push. Very diveable conditions. Lobsters galore.

I saw reports of similar conditions in Jupiter too. ~20’ of viz. I think a lot of Jupiter and WPB boats will be out tomorrow so we’ll get more reports.

@Craine I think you’ll have diveable conditions this upcoming week out on the reef. The weather is looking favorable for Wednesday and Thursday. BHB might take longer to clear up.

We are diving Key Largo tomorrow. Water will be flat as a pancake and allegedly, clear. Friday BHB and Saturday boat in PBC cancel by us—seeing the run off…will have to wait. Good luck tomorrow. Curious to know if it has cleared already.

How was Largo?

20’ feet of viz in Boynton south of the inlet this afternoon. ..... Lobsters galore.
Pompano said 20 ft and no current too.
Thanks for the conditions report !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom