Just a little pissed off...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
More at myself than anyone else...

I got certified 3 years ago through a LDS that advertises here. Because I did the class, the also gave a discount on any gear I bought. So, I went the full 100 yards and got everything cept a tank.

I went and got fitted for Zeagle Ranger harness and trusted the recommendations of the shop employee. I got certified and have since made about 15 dives when weather and temperatures permitted.

Every time that I went out, I was always fighting my gear and could never figure out why. I recently switched to a 119 steel tank which was 10lbsa heavier and magnified the fitment issues I was having. With the shoulder straps cinched all the way and the waist as tight as it would go, the BC wanted to rip right off me when wearing the steel tank.

In a move that woke my *** up, I tried on my buddies Ranger BC and was absolutely amazed at how well it fit. He had a Medium/Medium. I took a look at mine and saw that I have an XL / XL. I immediateley got on the web and checked Zeagles fitment chart on their webpage.

I'm 5'10, 34-35in waist and have 20in from shoulder to waist. By all accounts, a Med/Med is what I should be wearing. How in the world the shop employee thought that I should buy an XL/XL that fits someone with a 42-50" waist and a 26-29" shoulder length, I'll never know. (for the math challenged, thats 8-15inches extra in the waist and 6-9 in the shoulder)

In the end though, I was the one who pulled the cash out and bought it so I hold myself responsible on making a bad purchase... Caveat Emptor.

that totally sucks. But you have to put it behind you, there's nothing you can do now, so consider it a lesson learned and move on. If you just worry about it, it's only going to make you feel worse. Sell your BC to a member here, find a new LDS, and go DIVE! Oh, and you're not alone, PLENTY of people regret their first gear purchases and probably change 2 or 3 times til they are happy.

Nate

Jedi:
More at myself than anyone else...

I'm 5'10, 34-35in waist and have 20in from shoulder to waist. By all accounts, a Med/Med is what I should be wearing. How in the world the shop employee thought that I should buy an XL/XL that fits someone with a 42-50" waist and a 26-29" shoulder length, I'll never know. (for the math challenged, thats 8-15inches extra in the waist and 6-9 in the shoulder)

In the end though, I was the one who pulled the cash out and bought it so I hold myself responsible on making a bad purchase... Caveat Emptor.

eBay. Then get the one that works and go diving!
It could be worse!

Dave

Jedi:
How in the world the shop employee thought that I should buy an XL/XL that fits someone with a 42-50" waist and a 26-29" shoulder length, I'll never know.
Maybe he had an XL in stock that he wanted to sell.

ekewaka:
Maybe he had an XL in stock that he wanted to sell.

If I goto zeagles sizing chart I should be wearing a small. In actuality I am and extra medium. I have a medium w/ large straps.

If it doesn't fit you shouldn't use it. As said sell it o nebay or anywhere else you can and buy one that fits you right.

Sometimes lesson are hard to learn.

blatter:
At least with a ranger you can just get the harness bits that fit and keep the aircell.

That was my thought, too. I would suggest posting a message in the Zeagle subforum to see what Scott would recommend doing. Perhaps this situation could be correctly remedied without selling and replacing the entire rig. Might be less cost-prohibative...

I second talking with Scott Z. He might have some options for you like installing the lumbar pad to help take up the waist. I'd also let the LDS know that they fitted you incorrectly. I thought that's why we pay extra for the local service.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom