Just back from Coco View (longish)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We visited CCV last Oct. We were part of a group from our dive shop. For the most part our experience was a good one. We were blessed to have Dave as a boat captain and Kirk as a dive master. Fabulous job from both of these wonderful guys. We were well taken care of and will absolutely request them again should we ever return there.

The water was pretty rough while we were there, which made for some interesting boat rides but did not impact our diving so much. Dave did a great job making it as easy as he could.

Kirk suggested a day trip to the West End which turned out to be the best diving yet. We actually made another day trip there later in the week.

Our room was one of the 2nd floor rooms. Small, no windows and no natural light to come in. That was a bit of a disappointment but we spent little time there anyway. The food was also a disappointment. Over cooked and kinda blah. IMO they would have done better to not try to cook American food as it was not done well.

The dining area and bar area was a nice gathering area and it was great to have internet access when it was up and running.

The dive shop was handy and helpful and all the people were very nice. The bouyancy lecture was great.

We most likely will not return there, at least not for a while, although Kirk and Dave are absolutely the reasons we would return, there are many other places to go.

Yes, gear is kept in the dock area in gear room dedicated to each boat. We were on the green boat, so everyone in our locker room was assigned to the green boat. All we had to do each morning was analyze tanks (they were delivered to our locker 2x/day), go to breakfast, and when we returned to dive, our gear was set up on the boat ready to go! It is the best dive set up, process, operation we've ever seen and incredibly efficient and convenient. Very impressive!

:)

The biggest mistake we ever made was starting our diving vacation life at Coco. I now have compare other resorts to this operation. Though places like Den Laman are more modern and plush I jsut dont think they hold a candle to the customer service and efficient ways of Coco and their staff.

Oh, I can't disagree with you on that one! There's NO comparison between the attention and service at CCV and just about anywhere else, including Den Laman and BDA. However, for us, we prefer the diving and diving freedom on Bonaire over CCV.

We actually saw 3 Diamond Blennies on our trip! One of my faves for sure.

OK DiveMaven... Here is the question... Did you get cold?

lol... lee

OK DiveMaven... Here is the question... Did you get cold?

lol... lee

You won't believe it, but....yes a little. :shocked2:

I'll explain. I took my 5mm Merino lined suit and found that most folks seemed to either have multiple layers of 3mm neoprene, or 5mm suits, so I wasn't alone.

First couple of days I was fine, but Tuesday we had a bit of rain and wind and I found myself not being able to warm up between dives, causing me to be a bit chilly in the afternoons. I even went so far as to wear pants and a sweatshirt at dinner a couple of times. Anyway, once I took my Chammyz on the boat and began wearing it between dives, I wasn't cold at all.

...we had a bit of rain and wind...

That explains some of the viz issues.

Where did you find the Blennies? Were they near anenomes?
Thanks.

DM will surely answer, but there are three resident critters in a spot where nobody ever looks~ they're too busy diving! They inhabit the otherwise bleak walls of Mary's Place, not symbiotic with Anemones. One is a 6" sea-monster. (below)

c4d0.jpg

Now you know why I raved about DM's images :lotsalove: Mine are pretty marginal!

Just out in "The Front Yard" shore dive, there are many dozens of critters that once noticed, people rave about. Along the sandy path walkway to the dive platform in 4 feet of water, it is not unusual to find baby Baracuda, juvenile Angels, Sailfin Blennies, Mantis Shrimp, Drums, and more. A little deeper as you switch to SCUBA and continue to the nearby "house wreck", it is common to see Scorpionfish, Squid, Leopard Worms, Anemone Snapping Shrimp, Pedersen, various Zoanthids, etc. Crossing the bottom to the wreck, see the Garden Eel colony and scan for pink juvenile translucent Scorpionfish, Box Crabs and Big Baracudas. At the wreck itself, look for Neck Crabs, and Arrow, Decorator, Spanish Lobster, Basket Stars (yes, even in the daylight if you are a good searcher!), always a Monster Moray and if you get really quiet, you'll likely see Eagle Rays. Then... it all changes at night!

More very localized critters: http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/Doc_Adelman/2007 Roatan Bay Islands Honduras/

I have had some "lack of critters" while diving, but that's because of the cold water rain fresh water run-off. Otherwise, I would rather shore dive at CoCoView than even to have used one of the boats.

For those un-initiated readers, here is a picture book on what is my favorite Caribbean dive resort, CCV: http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/Doc_Adelman/CoCoView Explained in Pictures/ You may like the diving better elsewhere, but I don't think you can top this facility.

That explains some of the viz issues.

DM will surely answer, but there are three resident critters in a spot where nobody ever looks~ they're too busy diving! They inhabit the otherwise bleak walls of Mary's Place, not symbiotic with Anemones. One is a 6" sea-monster. (below)

c4d0.jpg

Now you know why I raved about DM's images :lotsalove: Mine are pretty marginal!

Just out in "The Front Yard" shore dive, there are many dozens of critters that once noticed, people rave about. Along the sandy path walkway to the dive platform in 4 feet of water, it is not unusual to find baby Baracuda, juvenile Angels, Sailfin Blennies, Mantis Shrimp, Drums, and more. A little deeper as you switch to SCUBA and continue to the nearby "house wreck", it is common to see Scorpionfish, Squid, Leopard Worms, Anemone Snapping Shrimp, Pedersen, various Zoanthids, etc. Crossing the bottom to the wreck, see the Garden Eel colony and scan for pink juvenile translucent Scorpionfish, Box Crabs and Big Baracudas. At the wreck itself, look for Neck Crabs, and Arrow, Decorator, Spanish Lobster, Basket Stars (yes, even in the daylight if you are a good searcher!), always a Monster Moray and if you get really quiet, you'll likely see Eagle Rays. Then... it all changes at night!

More very localized critters: 2007 Roatan Bay Islands Honduras pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket

I have had some "lack of critters" while diving, but that's because of the cold water rain fresh water run-off. Otherwise, I would rather shore dive at CoCoView than even to have used one of the boats.

For those un-initiated readers, here is a picture book on what is my favorite Caribbean dive resort, CCV: CoCoView Explained in Pictures pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket You may like the diving better elsewhere, but I don't think you can top this facility.

Don't forget the ever elusive cap10randy UFO (Unidentified Fish Object)

When in August? My wife and I are there the 21st thru the 28th. Already counting the days!

I am "the wife" Squarepeg refers to. We will be there the week before you from the 14th to the 21st. Looking forward to our first trip there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom