Just Earned PADI OWD CERT. What’s Next

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve never been asked by any shop for proof of certification even ones that don’t know me, they just look over the tank really good for VIP and hydro and fill it.
There is no requirement for a dive cert to get a tank filled.
That must be a local thing? Until I became known to shops in NY and Florida they requested a card. The shop here OW certified me so of course they didn't ask. I wonder if there actually are any laws anywhere that require a card for a fill, or is it all a matter of shops' liability? Manuals say you need a card to get a fill-- that's not saying it's law.

There is no law in the U.S. that requires a certification card to fill a tank but the shops insurance usually requires it for liability reasons.

Many times someone else will drop off and pick up tanks besides the certified diver. Paint ballers also get air fills. Some people also use air tanks for airbrushing in nail salons and for running air tools or filling tires.
There is no DOT ruling that says some one needs a cert to get an air fill, there also is no DOT ruling that says a tank has to be VIP’d to be legal, and I’m not even sure there is any DOT ruling that says people can’t get O2, Nitrox or trimix either.
I think all that is dive shop stuff.

Many times someone else will drop off and pick up tanks besides the certified diver. Paint ballers also get air fills. Some people also use air tanks for airbrushing in nail salons and for running air tools or filling tires.
There is no DOT ruling that says some one needs a cert to get an air fill, there also is no DOT ruling that says a tank has to be VIP’d to be legal, and I’m not even sure there is any DOT ruling that says people can’t get O2, Nitrox or trimix either.
I think all that is dive shop stuff.
Makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom