Just finished my PADI Cert - you have GOT to be kidding me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a little further out than New York City but In Lancaster PA. I just got my whole course for $360 including all equipment. I only have to pay about $50 for the entrance to 2 days of quarry diving. I figured $250 for the course and $110 for the rental. That was just my mind figuring... I never asked or cared. I felt comfortable with the Dive Center. I lucked out that 2 people dropped out and I have private instruction. Leaves a lot of extra time for self practice. If we are judging by Aluminum 80's - $180 I think.

in ireland It costs €400 about $500 plus course materials .

at least the cold water is for free here .

Quero:
Now that you're certified and the money's spent, my advice is to simply put all that stuff behind you and go dive! Have a ball! Don't let your bitterness about your LDS spoil it.

ABSOLUTELY!! I go as often as possible.

I think everyone is assuming the OP is in Manhattan but I don't think that is the case since from the OP's personal information he states he is in Upstate NY and not in Manhattan or close by. Everyone is correct on the cost of living here--and Rick's estimate of apartment rental cost probably is a bit low for most of Manhattan. The dive shop I go to here has separate prices for the class/pool work and for the training dives and may be close to $500 for the whole package. It's really a quite competitive price here.

If the OP were in Manhattan he would be able to get air at a number of shops so that would not be an issue. I like my dive shop and think they have competive prices--particularly since they are located in Midtown. Manhattan and NYC is expensive. Much of the rest of the state is not nearly as expensive.

Steve

Some interesting posts here.

My struggle here is that you post an interesting topic, receive several varying opinions (which is always good as it helps learn other's perspectives), yet don't offer to help anyone else out who might one day be in the same position as you. You're complaining about and supporting the LDS at the same time.

Respectably, what do you think they are going to do, give you bad air if you publish their name? Or charge you even more?

If you're not going to help someone out with your post, then doesn't this thread actually belong in the Whine and Cheese section?

Again, I'm sorry you weren't completely satisfied with your experience. And there are lots of 'nice guys' who aren't good guys who operate your LDS. I just think you should help your fellow local divers out.

Quero said it well. Forget about it, move on, have fun, and get your AOW from somewhere else.

MikeFerrara:
JahJahwarrior,
Most shops need as many of those new divers as they can get just to keep the doors open...the Amway thing again.

Too funny. That's EXACTLY what I was told in my DM orientation.
"It's like Amway but you don't have to hide stuff before you show the plan"

That really put a bad taste in my mouth in regards to the industry as a whole. I don't believe in spewing out BS crap just to draw in the newbies. It's disingenuous and once they find out you mislead them just to sell some gear, most likely not what they really want, you'll lose them if and when they become an experienced diver. There are better ways to run a business. I can name at least a dozen shops, manufacturers and individuals here on SB that are just the opposite and are doing rather well. In any event I waded through all that ****, gave the shop half of my business, and still went out and got the gear that I WANTED, regardless of the snide comments and Industry standard lies and wive's tales told to me. I was told my backplate and wing would drown me at the surface unless I dove double steels. I was told I like to "brag" about how little ditchable weight I dive. I got a backwards look from my instructor in the pool in regards to "user modified or altered gear" (I think there is a statement in the OW manual about that). I was given a "hate letter" back with my newly serviced regs. "The hp seat was "scratched" and it didn't come like that from the factory, please don't let "incompetants" work on the internals. "Do you like doing CESA's?? (C'MON!!!!!). all in the name of trying to sell me a BCD that A: I didn't want, B: A weight harness I did not need and C: trying to "scare" me into having my regs serviced by them. In the end I A: Got superior service from FredT building my BP/W rig. B: I never, EVER considered a harness, and C: I bought all the tools and do my own regs.
But I still frequent the shop and divemaster in OW in my BP/W deathtrap.
Go figure. Just gotta weed through it and go diving.

I am getting Certified for $159 books included. I don't think this price is too low, I understand that the shop certifies alot of divers and sales alot of gear due to their location and prices. I would say their gear prices are within +/- 10% of the best online prices. It also helps the shop is minutes from white sandy beaches.

Rick Murchison:
Wow! Only $550 in New York? How do the instructors pay the rent and put groceries on the table at that piddly rate? To say nothing of taking care of a pool for your use, and a classroom. Just heard today that a one bedroom flat in New York was over $2K/month! I can't imagine how much retail space must be...
That $550 is amazing. You got a great deal!
Rick
Yes -- you really can't compare the cost of dive classes around the country. The cost of living varies too much. In one state, the store might pay $1000/mo rent and in another part of the country the store might pay $4000/mo for identical space.

READ THIS ..WOW ...... is what came to mind when i read this ...I started diving in 94 teaching in 99 ....i was always taught that you cannot please everyone ...as much as it pains us !
next ...I have worked at alot of shops and learned from some of the best ...the gear used in the stores is heavly used.. does it do the job? 99% of the time yes! if not we sometimes have to make adjustments at the lake or at the pool but we make sure it is safe ..In my classes i explain all about the gear and why you need your own ...if you don't decide we told you the truth then you get to use the older gear and get through it .
most of the time i let students try on my gear in the pool and see the difference .once again they have choices ...if you have your own gear we want you to learn on it even if you bought it somewhere else ...if it is no good we will have something else for you to swap out into ..and we will have fun with that too (entertainment value is a big thing in teaching scuba)...if you feel you have been treated unfair ...then go somwhere else... as for what it costs we charge $325 with books and gear and the open water dives are free unless you get a private ...
I think i rambled on enough ...if you have any questions feel free to ask

prices in ireland vary from shop to shop but more importantly from region to region . in dublin the cost of shop rental etc. is much higher than that of my favorite dive spot Killkee in Co. clare .

I get most of my students equipment in Killkee .

Back
Top Bottom