Just Finished Shadow Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daylonious

Señor Pantalones
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, so I think I'm the LAST person in the world that finally got around to reading Shadow Divers.

Truth is, I picked it up on the way to the airport for the flight home to Dallas today....and just finished it. I couldn't put the book down. I have an edition with a few pages of glossy photos of the wreck and the guys involved.

Pretty amazing stuff - I was glued to it after the second chapter. In ch 2 Kurson does a fantastic job of describing equipment and dangers of deep-wreck diving. After that I was hooked..

The thought hadn't occured to me until I read the book, about the dangers of deep wreck diving - where if you have an OOA situation at 220 feet, if you let someone buddy breathe, you're BOTH dead (because of the lack of gas you have left to deco).

Anyway, so I guess I'm in the Richie and John fan club now -

One quote stood out for me,

"If a deep-wreck diver stays in the sport long enough, he will likely either come close to dying, watch another diver die, or die himself. There are times in this sport when it is difficult to say which of the three outcomes is worse."

Pretty sobering stuff -

D.

It's definitely a page-turner, and thought provoking -- even for non-divers. A very good book.

yeah I'm the second to last person to read it-- just blazed through it a couple weeks ago. I couldn't put it down either, read it cover to cover in one 24-hour period (only stopping long enough to sleep and go for a dive-- great weekend!)

While not quite as exciting as the book, it is definitely worth watching their TV show, Deep Sea Detectives.

very descriptive on the bends hit, yes? That scared me, the guy begging to die..they say it is very painful. Sounded like pulmonary edema, would MS help at all, Lynne? I am just asking because long sailing trips carry Morphine. he was doomed I suppose.

I admit I got a bit bogged down in the german U boat history, I skipped a bit.

it's a good book, a very good book

they're making a movie, so... let's see how that lives up to the book

Good book. Really makes one think.

I just finished this book a couple days ago as well...

it was a real eye opener, for sure. couldn't put it down. My mom also read it (and she is a non-diver), and it freaks her out that i am heading in the direction of deep wreck diving. perhaps i shouldn't have let her read it. :wink: at any rate, it was truly an amazing book.

creamofwheat:
I just finished this book a couple days ago as well...

it was a real eye opener, for sure. couldn't put it down. My mom also read it (and she is a non-diver), and it freaks her out that i am heading in the direction of deep wreck diving. perhaps i shouldn't have let her read it. :wink: at any rate, it was truly an amazing book.

I won't allow my mom to read stuff about dive accidents/incidents. She's also a non-diver and is terrified of water. She can't even watch me dive in the pool. I don't need to worry her any more than she already is.

Sounds like I oughta pick this up. I always prefer reading the book before seeing the movie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom