Just received my new Inon S2000 Strobe!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Cool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
*** Note: I have no business interests with the following products and vendor***
I just picked up my new Inon S2000 strobe and D4 Tray/Arm System. One thing I can say is that the INON manual is very difficult to understand. Whoever wrote that thing needs to explain things in more simpler terms, more photos (and in color!) and more illustrations. After reading through the manuals last night, I plan to go over them again one more time just to raise my comfort level. Out of the box, the Inon S2000 looks very impressive and worth the $$. I have yet to try it out and I am looking forward to the first opportunity to use it (I am going on a live-aboard trip in March).

As for the set-up, I have a Sony DSC-W150 with MPK-WD enclosure that I plan to use with the Inon D4 tray/arm and S2000 strobe. In the manuals (and there's a lot of them), Inon states that you can either go wireless or wired. With the wireless set-up, you stick a couple of mirrors on your housing and strobe. I can imagine the hassle you need to go through underwater to make sure the mirror elements are aligned to each other everytime you move the strobe to aim it somewhere.

Has anyone used the wireless set-up and is it reliable? How is the ease of use and maintenance of a wireless set-up. I imagine that you would need to take extra care with the mirrors stuck on the camera housing everytime you handle it. I do not have 100% confidence on this wireless set-up that I am still leaning towards just doing the fiberoptic (wired) set-up. Anyone's feedback based on their experience or knowledge would be highly appreciated.

And, I would like to take this opportunity to mention that I had a wonderful experience doing business with Reef Photo. The sales staff will respond to online inquiries in a timely and professional manner. I have never encountered an online business that offered the same (high) level of professionalism that I experienced with Reef Photo. Kudos and keep up the good work!

Congratulations! :wink:

Reef are good guys. I have used the s2000 in both the fiber optic linked mode and in what you are calling wireless or slave mode. Both work fine and in fact the little mirror guys that come with the S2000 work really well. Don't be afraid of it, the strobe light from the 150 will be fine to trigger the s2000. Try it out in a pool or even in the bathtub. In air, it might not work as well since the light won't be scattered as much.
Bill

As a Technical Manual author I recognize your issue. Technical Manual writing is hard. The writer always assumes he is being clear and concise but he usually isn't because he knows the equipment and it is all second nature to him. So we develop 5 steps when we should have developed 10. I now write something, hand it to a newbie engineer and send him down to the shop to redline the procedure. Tell me what works and where we need more illustrations. I have actually gotten so ticked off at manuals I have received with equipment that I have re-written them and sent them back to the company.
I have also been looking at this strobe. keep us informed on how it works out for you.

@dbh: That is definitely something to think about. I am still leaning towards just using the fiber optic cable. Good feedback!

@Doubler: Another bad thing about the manual that came with my Inon strobe is that it is obviously translated from Japanese. While this is quite a good translation, it has some imperfections that just adds to the confusion. I will be updating this thread to share my initial experiences with the S2000.

So, I decided to put my strobe system together for the first time this afternoon. The first part I wanted to prep was the fiberoptic cable assembly. The fiber optic cable assembly came in a small box (4.5-inches x 4.5inches x 1.5-inches). Here's what's inside the box: The fiber optic cable assembly with a short 'L-type' connector at one end and the other end is un-terminated; a second 'L-type' connector cap that has a longer profile; and, two instruction sheets. One sheet is an instruction manual on how to change out the shorter 'L-type' connector cap to the other longer 'L-type' connector cap that is included. The other sheet just talks about how to use, maintain and handle the fiber optic cable.

I have read both manuals and learned that the shorter 'L-type' connector that came attached to the fiber optic cable is for use if you want a wireless set-up (using the mirrors that came with the strobe). The longer profile 'L-type' connector cap is labeled for use with a 'non-wireless' or wired set-up. Since I planned to set-up my system using the fiber optic connector, I proceeded to follow the instructions on how to replace the 'L-type' connector cap. This proved to be a challenge especially when I was assembling the accessory 'L-type' connector cap on to the L-connector body.

According the manual, the first steps in assembling the longer cap is to slide in the 'L' cable anchor (that was part of the original connector) into the it. Make sure that the notched end of the anchor is fully protruding out of the open end of the cap. Second, slide in the strain relief and the 'L-connector' body on the fiber optic cable. Screw the long cap (that has the cable anchor piece) into the S-2000 strobe. Third, insert one end of the fiber optic cable into the cable anchor opening that is protruding out of the L-connector cap. Slide the fiber optic cable in until you can't slide it in any more. Hold it in place while you slip the connector body at the protruding end of the cable anchor. You will need to ensure that the "D-shaped" notch at the tail end of the cable anchor slips past the key-hole opening on the connector body. Once the "D-shaped" notch is through the keyhole slot, rotate the connector body 180-degrees to lock the anchor in place on the connector body.

That last step I described above is impossible to do and cannot be done with the S-2000 stobe. First, when the long connector cap is screwed into the stobe, the cable anchor does not sit fixed in place like it did using the original connector cap. There should not be any play that allows the anchor to partially sink back in the connector cap. This play made it impossible to keep the anchor in place to install the connector body. That long connector cap seems to be meant for another Inon strobe.

After a few minutes of fiddling around, I decided to read the manual again. That's when I realized that the original 'short' connector cap can be used on both the wireless and non-wireless set-up. You don't see this note under the "Wireless-type" L-Connector description but it is found under the "Non-Wireless type" L-connector description. Now this is a cock-eyed way of letting users know that the factory-installed connector cap that was meant for 'wireless' set-up can also be used for the 'non-wireless' set-up on the Inon S-2000 strobes. This is partially my fault for not realizing this earlier when I first read the manual and partially the factory's fault for not bringing it to my attention under the proper heading in the manual.

Anyway, the moral of this experience is that you can use the factory-installed shorter style L-connector with an Inon S-2000 strobe in a wired or wireless set-up. Just igonore the 'long-style' cap that came with the fiber optic cable. It will not work with the S-2000 strobe. It is impossible to make it work without a longer cable anchor to match it or a longer light sensing port in the strobe. I understand that this fiber optic cable is also used with other Inon strobes so this long style L-connector cap might work for those but not this one.

I just thought I'd share this P.I.T.A. moment so other new owners won't end up in a straight jacket.

Thanks for your kind words! We certainly appreciate your support. I understand your frustration with the documentation. Given the variety of operating modes and nuances of hundreds of compatible cameras, i wouldn't want the job of writing that manual...

We tried to simplify this some time ago, but even our abridged guide is a bit complex for some.
Reef Photo & Video Support Center - KnowledgeBase - Selecting the proper settings for INON strobes

The larger caps are used with previous versions of Inon strobes that had higher profile, less sensitive slave sensors. S-2000, D-2000 Type 4, and Z-240 Type 4 all use the lower profile cap. Inon made a video to demonstrate this change, which is helpful.
Reef Photo & Video Support Center - KnowledgeBase - Inon Optical Cable Type 4 -> Type 3 Modification

@Ryan: Thank you for the feedback especially that info concerning the difference between the smaller and larger profile L-connector caps. I did manage to get the smaller connector cap back on the connector body. Also, thanks for the links to the ReefPhoto knowledgebase. I will look into the section in detail as I am currently trying to figure out how to orient the fiber optic mounting block on my u/w camera enclosure. At this point in time, I figured that I cannot have it exactly over my camera's built-in flash because the u/w enclosure's fixed lens port is on the way. I will have to shift it slightly off to one side and I am wondering if this will create a problem or not. But, theoretically, I think not.

@Ryan: BTW, If Inon is looking for a technical manual writer, I might be interested in helping them create simple to understand owners manuals for them. Something more than a literal translation of the Japanese manual. I think it will be an interesting project.

Back
Top Bottom