Just received my new Inon S2000 Strobe!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased an S2000 in May 09 (unfortunately not from REEF since I did not know about them at the time) and have also been impressed with the quality and performance of the unit. I have since used both fibre trigger and the wireless trigger and was impressed with how reliable the latter was, even if the mirrors were only roughly aligned.

Unfortunately I discovered last week that my S2000 had died. I discovered a crack in the housing, water had leaked in and the unit had overheated (signs of melted plastic in battery housing) and it is fried. Not sure if the crack was due to manufacturing defect or caused by the over heating. I contacted the original vendor (INON approved vendor) that responded with a "we dunno" and they referred me to REEF. I contacted the folks at REEF who were very helpful and the unit is currently heading there for repair. I hope the unit is repairable.

I share your sentiments about the manual. Not an easy read!

Well, I am glad that is cleared up clear as mud. After watching that video I am not sure I will ever be able to turn the D2000 on again, it is so complicated, what are all of those parts and why are we screwing them in and out and around and through? Good grief, should have got a YS or even, gag, an Ikelite.

I tried to translate a manual from English to Spanish, so from Japanese to English, good luck.

N

Does anyone know if the older fiber optic cables will work on the S2000 without modification? I am guessing the answer is no.

Never mind, I got the answer, and it is yes, the old cables will work.

Last edited:
@DJvR: Sorry to hear about your Inon S2000 strobe. However, I am sure you are in good hands with Reef Photo. Thank you for sharing your experience with the wireless trigger or set-up. The only thing that makes me want a wired set-up is the fact that with the wireless set-up, you will need to keep re-aiming the mirror (on the strobe) everytime you move the strobe. This is another underwater task that I would like to avoid to keep things simple. Was it difficult to remove the mirror stickers if you do decide to go for a wired set-up? Another concern of mine are the mirror stickers that go on your camera housing that need to be peeled off and replaced with an optical mount block and vice versa. Or, did you leave the mirrors in place when you changed from a wireless to wired set-up?

Well, I am glad that is cleared up clear as mud. After watching that video I am not sure I will ever be able to turn the D2000 on again, it is so complicated, what are all of those parts and why are we screwing them in and out and around and through? Good grief, should have got a YS or even, gag, an Ikelite.

I tried to translate a manual from English to Spanish, so from Japanese to English, good luck.

N

A quick Google search and I got several English translations. All the buttons & dials are needed to make the strobes not only compatible, but to work well with ANY camera. The sTTL is second to none. IMHO, you made the best choice. FWIW, I shoot dual Inon Z240's and I can afford any strobe on the market. They provide the most bang for the size (again MHO). If you can't figure out what does what, ask away: or the dealer you bought it from should be able to clarify it. I am shooting a D300 in a Sea Tool w/ fiber optics and I was surprised how well the sTTL works.

Dave

I am shooting a D300 in a Sea Tool w/ fiber optics and I was surprised how well the sTTL works.

Dave

I can't wait to find out how well S-TTL will work for my Sony DSC-W150 camera.

Phil

Heard from the folks at REEF last week that INON's verdict is that my S2000 is not repairable and I need to replace it. Rather depressing. Would like to hear how others are doing with this strobe? Any signs of batteries over heating? Do you use regular alkalines or the recommended "Eneloop" batteries?

Heard from the folks at REEF last week that INON's verdict is that my S2000 is not repairable and I need to replace it. Rather depressing. Would like to hear how others are doing with this strobe? Any signs of batteries over heating? Do you use regular alkalines or the recommended "Eneloop" batteries?

Since your strobe cannot be fixed, and was only bought in May 2009, is Inon replacing it for you under warranty? (as some one who's planning on buying this strobe once I can afford to, I hope so...)

Is it possible salt water got into your battery compartment? I understand that salt water + batteries = bad news.

I was offered a new unit at a discounted price. So no, it was not repaired or replaced under warranty.

I was doing fresh water diving when the unit died (not that I believe that makes a significant difference). The housing had a crack on the outside and the source of that crack is the issue. INON reckons I caused the crack. I speculated it may have been batteries over heating, but do not really know what caused it. Chicken/egg sitution. Since one hands the camera to someone on the boat at the end of the dive, it is possible that the strobe was whacked without my knowledge. Frustrating, but what can one do?

Back
Top Bottom