Just starting...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H20Bubbles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just signed up to start my DM, am excited but needing to get in the pool and do some swimming for the stamina portions.

Good luck with the course from a fellow DIT & musician. Let us know how you do on the stamina--esp. the 400 yd./mtr. Hope to finish up myself when the weather permits charters. Assume you'll be able to dive the lake(s)/quarries out there pretty soon...?

The quarries open up here in about a month, but water temperatures will still be colder than I prefer. Don't yet own a drysuit... so diving when the water is in the 40's/50's isn't a lot of fun.

The stamina tests are not as bad as they sound. Spend time in the pool conditioning your cardio and concentrating in swimming technique. Pacing yourself is a big part of these tests. If you have a hard time getting your times where you want them consider a swimming lesson. I had a coach help me on my stroke techiniques and ultimatley got an 18 in my stamina tests. Best of luck and enjoy the experience of DM training....

SS

Just signed up to start my DM, am excited but needing to get in the pool and do some swimming for the stamina portions.

I assume you are going PADI. I started my DM back in September/October but had trouble finding time when Instructor, buddies and I could all get together. Just finished writing my make up exam Saturday. Aced everything but the first section. The first section is all about PADI policies, procedures, etc. It is open book but I foolishly tried doing it from memory.

So don't do what I did. I focused on the physics, physiology, theory, etc. and didn't realize there would be an entire section on things like, how many students to Instructor are there for the confined water portion. You don't need to memorize this stuff but you need to be able to figure out where the information is in the Instructor's manual (your instructor should be able to loan you their manual).

Now I just need to find a time we can all get together (me, my buddy, the instructor) and we have access to the pool for the stamina tests.

I assume you are going PADI. I started my DM back in September/October but had trouble finding time when Instructor, buddies and I could all get together. Just finished writing my make up exam Saturday. Aced everything but the first section. The first section is all about PADI policies, procedures, etc. It is open book but I foolishly tried doing it from memory.

So don't do what I did. I focused on the physics, physiology, theory, etc. and didn't realize there would be an entire section on things like, how many students to Instructor are there for the confined water portion. You don't need to memorize this stuff but you need to be able to figure out where the information is in the Instructor's manual (your instructor should be able to loan you their manual).

Now I just need to find a time we can all get together (me, my buddy, the instructor) and we have access to the pool for the stamina tests.

When you sign up for the course, your DM pack will include a copy of the latest Instructor Manual, so you won't have to borrow one from anyone

When you sign up for the course, your DM pack will include a copy of the latest Instructor Manual, so you won't have to borrow one from anyone

I'd forgotten this. An instructor in St. Croix told me this as well. The version which is included in the DM pack now is a cut down version. It is not the massive 1000+ page manual they used to publish for the Instructor but a cut down version that just has the Instructor information the DM needs to know, i.e. it will not have the Dive Master section in it.

The instructor manual does have the DM section in it. Performance requirements for all tasks etc

Pages 83 - 103

The instructor manual does have the DM section in it. Performance requirements for all tasks etc

Pages 83 - 103

I'll have to check my Instructor's manual but 20 pages seems a lot shorter than what she has in her manual. It could be this is a cut down version of the older Instructor's Manual.

My Instructor had the electronic copy (PDF) and printed it out. The printout requires a 4" binder if you print it double sided. I think it was over 1000 pages for the entire manual. Is this what is included with the DM kit now?

Darrell

The new instructor manual is far more condensed than the old one. The old one was in the region of 1000 pages

Various items such as teaching techniques etc. have been removed. That particular topic is now covered in a seperate book issued during the IDC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom