'K, I give up.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nylon materials are not supposed to last as long as other types of trilam. I believe that CLX is made of better materials.

Plus I don't like that shiny disco look :D

Genesis once bubbled...
isn't the bottom half of the CLX suit made of the TLS350 material? :)

The 450 is made out of Cordura. No nylon. Both suits are trilam and share some butyl rubber as part of their composition, but they're each made of a different fabric.

Arnaud once bubbled...

The 450 is made out of Cordura. No nylon. Both suits are trilam and share some butyl rubber as part of their composition, but they're each made of a different fabric.

Well, to be anal, Cordura is a fabric made of a nylon fiber :wink:

jonnythan once bubbled...

Well, to be anal, Cordura is a fabric made of a nylon fiber :wink:

Definitely more robust than regular nylon, and at least, it's not shiny! :eek:ut:

So basically the 450 is just a heavier fabric than the 350. That might be preferred in my case, since I do a lot of wreck diving and some spearfishing, and holing a suit would be kinda bad :wink:

Then again I was concerned about the Bare Nex-Gen's pretty lightweight fabric, but it survived last winter without a scratch, and I was not anything approaching "nice" to it :wink:

Arnaud once bubbled...

Definitely more robust than regular nylon, and at least, it's not shiny! :eek:ut:

Yeah, I'm sure, but it's definitely not 'regular' nylon. Nylon refers to a thermoplastic polyamide fiber (or a cloth made from the fiber), Cordura is a trademark of DuPont that refers specifically to a cloth they produce. Cordura obviously comes in many different forms, but it's definitely nylon. DuPont's own site says "One of our more popular brands is CORDURA® nylon used in outerwear, footwear, luggage and sport bags."

Why discuss the materials of the different models when you can just look them up! There are excellent descriptions and pictures of the different models at www.dui-online.com .

TLS-350 is trilam, nylon-butyl-nylon

CLX-450 is trilam, nylon-butyl-cordura

FLX-50/50 is trilam top/crushed neoprene bottom

The CLX-450 is a little heavier and stiffer than the TLS-350, and more abrasion resistant--generally the choice of cave and wreck divers. Dries almost as fast as the TLS-350.

The TLS-350 is light-weight, dries fast, and packs small--great for air travel. And while not as abrasion resistant as the CLX-450, it is darn tough.

I ordered mine near-blind off the sizing chart; I did first phone DUI and have one of their service people talk me through my physical characteristics and fit preference as it relates to their sizing. I like my fit a little loose, so I can add thick long johns under the undergarments and still have good movement. I ordered the Large suit and undergarments, in spite of their tech suggesting the Medium, and I am perfectly pleased with it. I am 5' 10", 175 lbs., 34/32 pants, 42 reg coat, 16-1/2 32/33 shirt size. For the record, I went with the CLX-450. If I weren't a cave diver, I would definitely have gone for the TLS-350.

Hope some of this is helpful,

theskull

I ordered the Large suit and undergarments, in spite of their tech suggesting the Medium, and I am perfectly pleased with it. I am 5' 10", 175 lbs., 34/32 pants, 42 reg coat, 16-1/2 32/33 shirt size. For the record, I went with the CLX-450. If I weren't a cave diver, I would definitely have gone for the TLS-350.

By the numbers you're a stock large. But you like it a bit loose.....

I don't. I like it loose enough to kick cleanly and reach my valves, but that is it. Baggier than that does NOT work for me. If things are bunching up where they're not supposed to when I do the "squat" before putting on my plate/kit, or if I have pull in my crotch when I reach back for my valves, its a bit snug. If I get tight in the legs when I put my legs up to do the frog, then its too tight and won't work. I'm about an inch too tight on the Dacor in that area (torso is too short); otherwise the fit is PERFECT from my point of view. The Dacor I have (and just listed on eBAY) is a ML.

I might need to call DUI before going any further.....I do NOT want a baggy suit.

There seems to be some confusion about the stock CLX450. The top is, indeed, made from cordura trilaminate with cordura overlay. But the BOTTOM is made from polyester/butyl rubber/polyester trilaminate which is very similar to the TLS trilaminate. There is very little durability differences between the polyester and nylon trilaminates. You CAN get the CLX with cordura on the bottom (or get the CL50/50 with CF200 bottom) to make it a more durable suit.

IMO, if you purchase the CLX because you want a more durable suit you should opt for the full cordura. DUI's feeling, however, is that the most wear prone area is on the knees and so feels that the extra stiffness created by the cordura on the bottom may not be as beneficial (relative to knee pads and assuming it is the knee that will wear first). However, it is an option to get full cordura on the suit.

The FLX50/50 also has the polyester trilaminate on the top which is very similar to the TLS nylon trilaminate and has similar abrasion-resistance durabilities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom