kagoshima or miyazaki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccaigk1

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey folks,

im interviewing to teach work as an esl in japan, was wondering on your opinion of diving in miyazaki or kagoshima. Was wondering on things like conditions, diving infrastructure, where to get my tanks filled etc. Can anybody give me some clues? Thanks!

-Kevin

hi kevin,

my answer to your question is definitely kagoshima. NO QUESTION about it!

the biggest reason is amami-ohshima, which is a small island located south to kagoshima-city. it's a womderful diving destination, both naure-wise and infra-wise. you will also have a wonderful diving site located close to the city itself. kinko-wan (kinko bay) is right next to the city, and you will enjoy seasonal changes in the underwater scene.

i'm not aware of any major diving sites in miyazaki. i hope someone wll follow up on that issue.

ken chung ar

There are some sites in Miyazaki that I have heard about but never been to. Kagoshima though has several really good ones. I don't know the Amami-oshima, but there is also Amakusa which is excellent. We have a couple of SB members who live in Kagoshima as well.
I myself live about 2 hours north of Kagoshima.

thanks kim and ken chung i get the impression there are not so many boat diving operations in japan, from what i gather online its mostly shore diving. Is this accurate?

and for Kim, i see that u live near fukuoka? that was one of the areas i was looking into although i hear it is a little colder and goes through seasons more dramatically then the southern cities i mentioned. ( but i also understand it has a wonderful atmosphere toward visitors) Could u comment a little on whats it like to dive around there? diveshop service places to see conditions etc. Any places to catch a few waves either? ( im a surfer) thanks so much! i envious that you live there i hope this job goes through!!

regards,

Kevin

Weather wise there is very little difference. In fact in Miyazaki, depending on where you are in the Prefecture it can be colder as there are many more mountains. The diving around Fukuoka itself isn't very spectacular. There used to be a reasonable site close by but due to an earthquake last year the mountain side collapsed onto the access road and we can't reach it at present. If you check the Local Knowledge thread in this forum I have described that site and a couple of others. I don't surf but I believe that it's possible in a few places - although what it's like I have no idea. This year I've been to both Sasebo, and Amakusa that both have boat diving. There is a lot of shore diving as well, especially locally hear and in Omi-shima in Yamaguchi. It doesn't compare to the sites in Sasebo or Amakusa though. Personally I think that Kagoshima is a good bet as it's also easy to get to Fukuoka from there.

once again guys thanks for the info,

Kim,

sorry to hear about your dive spot i did read about that in older threads its a shame about the access road.

Jagfish,

Nova, yup thats right after all the blogs about selling your soul to the "machine" i really dont care, i still want in, im going to bone up on my japanese ( which i only started taking my last semester in college) through immersion. Didnt get the one w/ aeon so im taking the low road. should be interesting, im looking forward to it ( interview pending)!

I'd have to say that Nova doesn't have the best reputation in the world around here!!!

You might like to take at look at this:
ftp://ftp.ohayosensei.com/current.txt

There is one company in my area that normally advertises called OWLS, they send teachers to most of the schools in the Kitakyushu area - often supplying free housing as well. It's worth looking through the ads though - although many are in the larger towns up north in Honshu.

mccaigk1:
Nova, yup thats right after all the blogs about selling your soul to the "machine" i really dont care, i still want in, im going to bone up on my japanese ( which i only started taking my last semester in college) through immersion. Didnt get the one w/ aeon so im taking the low road. should be interesting, im looking forward to it ( interview pending)!

That's how I came over originally. It was a convenient way to get my initial visa, job and housing in order before coming over. Once you are here, you are in a good position to take your time and look around for your next job. I think the initial visa might even be 3 years now, but I might be wrong. That might be on renewal.

Good luck and get in touch if you need anything. I've worked all levels from Nova to High school to University, so I can lend you any advice I might have....

mccaigk1:
thanks kim and ken chung i get the impression there are not so many boat diving operations in japan, from what i gather online its mostly shore diving. Is this accurate?
Kevin

hi kevin,

i'm happy to know that you have got many responses.
i have one quick response to your comment.

in amami-ohshima, all diving excursions are almost exclusively by boat. you will enjoy it!

ken chung ar

Back
Top Bottom